ThrustMaster FA-18C grip issues

Hi all, I was quite excited to finally get a ThrustMaster FA-18C grip for Christmas, but I'm having multiple issues with the weapons select button:

1. Weapons select forward (button 20) sticks and I have to physically move it back to the center position until it clicks back into place.

2. Weapons select left (button 17) is difficult as all heck to engage with just my thumb resting on top of the switch. I find that in order to accurately engage it I need to either jam my thumb between the switch and the stick or use my index finger to push it over to the left. 

3. Center downward press (button 7) is spotty as to whether it makes contact or not. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. 

Has anyone else experienced these problems? As much as I hate to, I'm thinking of returning it, but I was also wondering if others have had these issues. Thank you!

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker

in my case, i had to get used to the depress activation at the beginning to get it right without inadvertently activating any of the other functions. seems ok now. other than that, no issues. you could try clicking that button several times in all directions, and maybe it gets better, if this is just kind of a "factory-fresh-part" issue.

33 minutes ago, HILOK said:

in my case, i had to get used to the depress activation at the beginning to get it right without inadvertently activating any of the other functions. seems ok now. other than that, no issues. you could try clicking that button several times in all directions, and maybe it gets better, if this is just kind of a "factory-fresh-part" issue.

Thanks HILOK, yes, I thought the same thing and tried cycling the switch through all the positions continuously for like 5 minutes, plus three hours or so of flying and weapons selection. Doesn't seem to have gotten any better.

Edited by GeneralDynamics

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker

the sensor control switch from my stick didn´t register a pulsation, so I sent it back with warranty. To France TM service I think (I live in Spain). They solved the issue and the joy came back after 10-15 days. No money involved.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3 TM MFDs | Realteus ForceFeel | 2x bass shakers

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - NTTR - PG - Mi8 - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II

I think there have been quite a few people having issues with that switch

Mine sorta worked and I let the warranty lapse but it got worse and I had to end up purchasing a replacement.

If in any doubt I'd send it back, I realize what a PIA that is and feel your pain

Otherwise you'll be outta pocket for the switch (not exactly cheap) annd replacing it yourself is also not the easiest job I've tackled.

If it's anything like mine first there was a whole load of hot glue to be removed, then getting the old switch to unlatch from the stick body was a bear of a job, partly because one of the latches/tangs is just about impossible to access.

The replacement will not sit securely either unless it's sleeved or packing is added to the rear of the switch to hold it in place.

I've attached the instructions sent by Thrustmaster to show you what's involved (although they don't tell you about sleeving the switch, or how hard it is to unlatch it)

5077807_FA18_How to replace the WSS button.pdf

Edited by Weegie

Thanks so much for your responses, everyone. I guess I'll return the darn thing because if I break it trying to fix it I'll be out of luck... sigh. Too pricey to risk voiding the warranty at this point.

One last question for you - when you received your sticks, were the boxes sealed? Mine was not, i.e. it was packaged with no sealing tape that had to be cut or anything like that. I ask because Amazon is notorious for reselling items that have been returned by others.

Edited by GeneralDynamics

System Specs:

Mine was sealed and new, but i got it from a dedicated PC-hardware dealer who has a (justified) outstanding reputation over here. Amazon reselling second hand products is one of the reasons why i stopped buying stuff from them. Nothing, not even books anymore. Button 17 beeing difficult to operate is absolutely normal (i think it's not even mapped/existant in the real jet), but Button 20 sticking isn't. As mentioned by others, send it back. At best refund and buy from somewhere else instead of greedy Amazon. 

Cheers

Is the Hornet grip seen as a different controller in DCS from the standard Warthog joystick grip?  I'd like to be able to switch back and forth between grips depending on which aircraft I want to fly, however I assume if the Hornet grip is not seen as unique from the standard grip, it would mean I have to re-assign the switches and buttons each time I switch grips?

Ryzen 7 2700, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200, 970 EVO 1TB SSD, eVGA GTX 1080 8GB ACX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

13 hours ago, oboe said:

Is the Hornet grip seen as a different controller in DCS from the standard Warthog joystick grip?  I'd like to be able to switch back and forth between grips depending on which aircraft I want to fly, however I assume if the Hornet grip is not seen as unique from the standard grip, it would mean I have to re-assign the switches and buttons each time I switch grips?

It´s the same because the memory which stores than info is within the base, not the joy.
If you are swapping joys, with the same TM base, just save a DCS controller profile with the first installed joy, unplugg the usb, remove, install the other, plug usb again. Bind your things on DCS, and save a new profile. I have to, something like "Tundra_Warthog_v1", and "Tundra_Hornet_v1".
No need to reassign after every swapping.

Edited by Ala12Rv-Tundra

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3 TM MFDs | Realteus ForceFeel | 2x bass shakers

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - NTTR - PG - Mi8 - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II

Got my replacement Thrustmaster FA-18C grip, and I can happily report that it is a vast improvement over the first unit that I ordered. Weapons select left (sidewinders) is still a tad bit difficult to engage, but I suspect that will pass as the stick gets broken in and as I get used to it. Everything else is working fine! Thanks for your input, guys, and I sincerely hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

@oboe, I can confirm that after configuring the first FA-18 grip (that had issues), I was able to pop it out and replace it with my original A-10C grip and all my Hornet mappings for that stick were retained. Likewise after the new FA-18 grip arrived, I removed the A-10C grip and popped in the new FA-18 grip and likewise the mappings for the FA-18 stick were retained. Didn't have to change a thing:-) 

System Specs:

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 11:18 PM, GeneralDynamics said:

Got my replacement Thrustmaster FA-18C grip, and I can happily report that it is a vast improvement over the first unit that I ordered. Weapons select left (sidewinders) is still a tad bit difficult to engage, but I suspect that will pass as the stick gets broken in and as I get used to it. Everything else is working fine! Thanks for your input, guys, and I sincerely hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

@oboe, I can confirm that after configuring the first FA-18 grip (that had issues), I was able to pop it out and replace it with my original A-10C grip and all my Hornet mappings for that stick were retained. Likewise after the new FA-18 grip arrived, I removed the A-10C grip and popped in the new FA-18 grip and likewise the mappings for the FA-18 stick were retained. Didn't have to change a thing:-) 

I just got one this past Christmas as a gift as well. Someone was kind enough to direct me to your post and it looks like I'm sending it back to TM under warranty because mine does the same thing. Every other switch is great, except the weapon select switch.

• 2 weeks later...

Seems I'm having similar issues, also purchased mine from Amazon in early December. My Sensor Select Switch Left (Button 10) is sticky, needs to be pushed back to center to disable it, and my Weapon Select Switch Forward (Button 15) doesn't even work anymore. I didn't get to use the stick until this week, as I did not have the base, so I have less than 10 hours of use on this thing with these issues. Bad batch of sticks maybe? Contacting TM....

Yeah or/and possibly Amazon sending out stuff that's been returned by others, which they seem to be getting a reputation for.

This is quite a common problem I reckon so TM should be more that aware of it.

• 2 weeks later...

I had the same issue with button 15 - it stuck and had to be manually centered. Stick bought end of the first week of January (not from Amazon). It went back to the retailer today under warranty. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My Sensor control switch does not register when you push to the right.  All other directions work.  This was a Christmas gift and I would rather not tell the sender that I have to return it and then they have to deal with it. So I am hoping to be able to fix this switch myself.  Has anyone had to replace the 4-way Sensor control switch?

--------

DCS World 2.5, A10C Warthog

Intel Core i7 990 Extreme, Asus P6T6 WS Revolution, EVGA 2080Ti Black,

PIMAX 8K Headset