ThrustMaster FA-18C grip issues

GeneralDynamics

Hi all, I was quite excited to finally get a ThrustMaster FA-18C grip for Christmas, but I'm having multiple issues with the weapons select button:

1. Weapons select forward (button 20) sticks and I have to physically move it back to the center position until it clicks back into place.

2. Weapons select left (button 17) is difficult as all heck to engage with just my thumb resting on top of the switch. I find that in order to accurately engage it I need to either jam my thumb between the switch and the stick or use my index finger to push it over to the left. 

3. Center downward press (button 7) is spotty as to whether it makes contact or not. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. 

Has anyone else experienced these problems? As much as I hate to, I'm thinking of returning it, but I was also wondering if others have had these issues. Thank you!

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker

in my case, i had to get used to the depress activation at the beginning to get it right without inadvertently activating any of the other functions. seems ok now. other than that, no issues. you could try clicking that button several times in all directions, and maybe it gets better, if this is just kind of a "factory-fresh-part" issue.

33 minutes ago, HILOK said:

in my case, i had to get used to the depress activation at the beginning to get it right without inadvertently activating any of the other functions. seems ok now. other than that, no issues. you could try clicking that button several times in all directions, and maybe it gets better, if this is just kind of a "factory-fresh-part" issue.

Thanks HILOK, yes, I thought the same thing and tried cycling the switch through all the positions continuously for like 5 minutes, plus three hours or so of flying and weapons selection. Doesn't seem to have gotten any better.

Edited by GeneralDynamics

System Specs:

Win 10 x64 Pro, ASUS Maximus X Formula, i9-9900K @ 4.7 GHz, 32GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 MHz, NZXT Kraken X73 AIO Cooler, Titan X Pascal GPU, EVGA Supernova 1000W P2 PSU, C: 1TB Samsung 960 Pro m.2 PCIe SSD, D: 1TB Samsung 850 Pro SATA SSD, HT Omega Claro PCIe 7.1 Sound, Denon AVR-1709 7.1 Receiver, 46" Sharp Aquos Quattron Main Screen, 27" Acer T272HL TouchScreen + Helios, TrackIR 5, ThrustMaster HOTAS Warthog, Crosswinds pedals, SimShaker

the sensor control switch from my stick didn´t register a pulsation, so I sent it back with warranty. To France TM service I think (I live in Spain). They solved the issue and the joy came back after 10-15 days. No money involved.

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

I think there have been quite a few people having issues with that switch

Mine sorta worked and I let the warranty lapse but it got worse and I had to end up purchasing a replacement.

If in any doubt I'd send it back, I realize what a PIA that is and feel your pain

Otherwise you'll be outta pocket for the switch (not exactly cheap) annd replacing it yourself is also not the easiest job I've tackled.

If it's anything like mine first there was a whole load of hot glue to be removed, then getting the old switch to unlatch from the stick body was a bear of a job, partly because one of the latches/tangs is just about impossible to access.

The replacement will not sit securely either unless it's sleeved or packing is added to the rear of the switch to hold it in place.

I've attached the instructions sent by Thrustmaster to show you what's involved (although they don't tell you about sleeving the switch, or how hard it is to unlatch it)

5077807_FA18_How to replace the WSS button.pdf

Edited by Weegie

Thanks so much for your responses, everyone. I guess I'll return the darn thing because if I break it trying to fix it I'll be out of luck... sigh. Too pricey to risk voiding the warranty at this point.

One last question for you - when you received your sticks, were the boxes sealed? Mine was not, i.e. it was packaged with no sealing tape that had to be cut or anything like that. I ask because Amazon is notorious for reselling items that have been returned by others.

Edited by GeneralDynamics
  • Like 1

System Specs:

Mine was sealed and new, but i got it from a dedicated PC-hardware dealer who has a (justified) outstanding reputation over here. Amazon reselling second hand products is one of the reasons why i stopped buying stuff from them. Nothing, not even books anymore. Button 17 beeing difficult to operate is absolutely normal (i think it's not even mapped/existant in the real jet), but Button 20 sticking isn't. As mentioned by others, send it back. At best refund and buy from somewhere else instead of greedy Amazon. 

Cheers

Phanteks EvolvX / Win 11 / i9 12900K / MSI Z690 Carbon / MSI Suprim RTX 3090 / 64GB G.Skill Trident Z  DDR5-6000 / 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB PCIe 3.0 NVMe SSD / 2TB SATA SSD / 1TB SATA SSD / Alphacool Eisbaer Aurora Pro 360 / beQuiet StraightPower 1200W

RSEAT S1 / VPC T50 CM2 + 300mm extension + Realsimulator F18 CGRH / VPC WarBRD + TM Warthog grip / WinWing F/A-18 Super Taurus / 4x TM Cougar MFD / TM TPR / HP Reverb G2

Is the Hornet grip seen as a different controller in DCS from the standard Warthog joystick grip?  I'd like to be able to switch back and forth between grips depending on which aircraft I want to fly, however I assume if the Hornet grip is not seen as unique from the standard grip, it would mean I have to re-assign the switches and buttons each time I switch grips?

Ryzen 7 2700, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 16GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3200, 970 EVO 1TB SSD, eVGA GTX 1080 8GB ACX

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

13 hours ago, oboe said:

Is the Hornet grip seen as a different controller in DCS from the standard Warthog joystick grip?  I'd like to be able to switch back and forth between grips depending on which aircraft I want to fly, however I assume if the Hornet grip is not seen as unique from the standard grip, it would mean I have to re-assign the switches and buttons each time I switch grips?

It´s the same because the memory which stores than info is within the base, not the joy.
If you are swapping joys, with the same TM base, just save a DCS controller profile with the first installed joy, unplugg the usb, remove, install the other, plug usb again. Bind your things on DCS, and save a new profile. I have to, something like "Tundra_Warthog_v1", and "Tundra_Hornet_v1".
No need to reassign after every swapping.

Edited by Ala12Rv-Tundra

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Got my replacement Thrustmaster FA-18C grip, and I can happily report that it is a vast improvement over the first unit that I ordered. Weapons select left (sidewinders) is still a tad bit difficult to engage, but I suspect that will pass as the stick gets broken in and as I get used to it. Everything else is working fine! Thanks for your input, guys, and I sincerely hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

@oboe, I can confirm that after configuring the first FA-18 grip (that had issues), I was able to pop it out and replace it with my original A-10C grip and all my Hornet mappings for that stick were retained. Likewise after the new FA-18 grip arrived, I removed the A-10C grip and popped in the new FA-18 grip and likewise the mappings for the FA-18 stick were retained. Didn't have to change a thing:-) 

System Specs:

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 11:18 PM, GeneralDynamics said:

Got my replacement Thrustmaster FA-18C grip, and I can happily report that it is a vast improvement over the first unit that I ordered. Weapons select left (sidewinders) is still a tad bit difficult to engage, but I suspect that will pass as the stick gets broken in and as I get used to it. Everything else is working fine! Thanks for your input, guys, and I sincerely hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas!

@oboe, I can confirm that after configuring the first FA-18 grip (that had issues), I was able to pop it out and replace it with my original A-10C grip and all my Hornet mappings for that stick were retained. Likewise after the new FA-18 grip arrived, I removed the A-10C grip and popped in the new FA-18 grip and likewise the mappings for the FA-18 stick were retained. Didn't have to change a thing:-) 

I just got one this past Christmas as a gift as well. Someone was kind enough to direct me to your post and it looks like I'm sending it back to TM under warranty because mine does the same thing. Every other switch is great, except the weapon select switch.

537 Mongo
CO vVF-161 Fightin' Stingrays
Check us out on the web!

• 2 weeks later...

Seems I'm having similar issues, also purchased mine from Amazon in early December. My Sensor Select Switch Left (Button 10) is sticky, needs to be pushed back to center to disable it, and my Weapon Select Switch Forward (Button 15) doesn't even work anymore. I didn't get to use the stick until this week, as I did not have the base, so I have less than 10 hours of use on this thing with these issues. Bad batch of sticks maybe? Contacting TM....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

My Sensor control switch does not register when you push to the right.  All other directions work.  This was a Christmas gift and I would rather not tell the sender that I have to return it and then they have to deal with it. So I am hoping to be able to fix this switch myself.  Has anyone had to replace the 4-way Sensor control switch?

CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K  -  GPU: ASUS ROG Strix 3090 OC Edition  - Mobo: Asus ROG Maximus XII Formula Motherboard  -  RAM: 64 GB HyperX  -  EK Open Loop liquid-cooling  -  PSU: FSP Hydro+ PTM 1200 Watt liquid-cooled Power Supply   -   PIMAX 8KX Headset

ThrustMaster Warthog Throttle and Stick  -  Winwing Landing and Combat Panels  -  MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• 6 months later...

And one more there ! Brand new TM FA18 grip from Logitech website and button 15 and 16 have no return position.

Compare to my A10 grip i think it's a bit step beyond in quality, those "cliky" switches aren"t good. I prefer the soft one from the A10.

Return via RMA, i'm upset / waiting....

• 2 months later...

Bought Thrustmaster F-18 Hornet stick with quite a big discount in November. When I received it, Weapon Select Switch didn't return from the forward and back position.

Found out that stick only had seller warranty, not from Thrustmaster - because I bought it from Ebay section of a retail shop. I had no idea there is such distinction when I bought the stick. By returning stick I would loose shipping both ways, at least 30 EUR.

So I opted for buying a new WSS switch by myself for 35 EUR from Thrustmaster.

I have received the WSS switch today. It seemed to be working out of the grip, but I only clicked it once in every direction.

I removed the old switch with much difficulty, because I couldn't access the tab on the back side so it took me literally hours trying to bend a piece of metal and push the tab on the back side. I couldn't push the switch out by just pressing the visible tab and pushing the switch out. In the end I grabbed it with the pliers and pushed.

I have just pushed the new switch into the grip and tried it, and it doesn't return from the forward push - it clicks, but it doesn't return to center, it remains pressed.

So, 50% improvement? back press now works.

Is it possible I have damaged the new switch already? I just pressed it into the grip by the collar, not by the switch itself, I was really careful. Or is the grip somehow distorted and is damaging the switch? It doesn't seem like it is, because the switch went in quite easily.

I have disassembled the old switch, and Hornet doesn't use standard 6x6x5mm 4-Pin DIP Through Hole Momentary Tactile Push Button Switch - they are thinner (3 mm?), and have long rubber knob portion. So not really something you can replace yourself easily without a lot of modification. And in directions that switches were malfunctioning these rubber knobs were half broken, in the upwards direction. So I don't think the new switch will somehow wear in and start working, it feels just like old ones were.

This has been really frustrating experience. Maybe Thrustmaster will send me a new replacement switch free of charge, but even then I'm not looking forward with wrestling the old switch out. 😞

I also bought last week a Hornet stick from Amazon.de, 4 buttons were sticky as well and the box unsealed. Then i read this thread and i was sure i was a victim of amazon, i sent an email to Thrustmaster asking if the box should be sealed and they confirmed that if the box is unsealed then the product is considered to be used. I contacted Amazon and i was super mad as i believe this is a serious fraud, if any other small store did that it would face huge consequences but when a billionaire does it everything is ok.
They sent a new sealed one (hopefully) which is to be delivered today and they said i can return the old one later.

Asus Z370-A | Intel i7 8700K @5.0GHz | Deepcool Maelstrom 120T Red | G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA 1080ti 11GB SC2 | Kingston A2000 250GB NVMe 250GB for Windows 10 64-bit Pro OS, | Samsung 840PRO 120GB SSD & WD HDD 1TB & WD HDD 500GB for program files | 3x LG 24" IPS monitors | Thrustmaster Warthog Stick | Thrustmaster FCS throttle and pedals | HP Reverb Pro, Oculus Rift CV1 (any many more stuff non flight sim related :helpsmilie:)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

My first Hornet grip had a bad trim hat; stuck in the LWD position.  Returned to Amazon seller for replacement.

Replacement stick got the 'weapons select switch won't spring back to center' problem after a few weeks.  Decided to work with Thrustmaster customer support.  Sent back to them under warranty.  I expected to get a replacement stick, but I got the same one back after a couple of months (verified by serial number) with a new switch.  It's been working OK for over a year now.

bahog2trn.gif
VFA-41 Black Aces
www.vfa-41.com

I just got my F-18 grip in yesterday looks new smells new and feels and looks new. I don’t understand what your saying sealed, as most YouTube unboxing videos the box doesn’t have a sealed sticker on it. My TM warthog Hotas box wasn’t sealed and my TM TPR pedals wasn’t sealed either so I don’t get that part in sealed. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 12/28/2021 at 10:08 AM, VFA41_Hedgehog said:

My first Hornet grip had a bad trim hat; stuck in the LWD position.  Returned to Amazon seller for replacement.

Replacement stick got the 'weapons select switch won't spring back to center' problem after a few weeks.  Decided to work with Thrustmaster customer support.  Sent back to them under warranty.  I expected to get a replacement stick, but I got the same one back after a couple of months (verified by serial number) with a new switch.  It's been working OK for over a year now.

I just noticed my weapon select forward does not return to center … Dang !!!!

So do I deal straight with Thrustmaster or Amazon/Dealer ? I’m just afraid that the Amazon/Dealer will send the next one in line and have to wait months for the return.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020