Worth getting?

If you use VR I would advise against it. And it pains me to say that because I want to love this map. Some aspects of it are stunning but if you fly over populated areas with lots of houses at low level you will get stuttering and virtually all VR users are reporting the same. You can create missions with limited units set to avoid heavily populated areas and at high altitudes but right now for VR Normandy is a better performer. 

harrier landing GIFRYZEN 7 3700X Running at 4.35 GHz

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080Ti

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

TM Warthog Stick & Throttle plus 11" extension. VKB T-Rudder MKIV

Interesting, I have observed it the other way around. The Channel map runs smoother for me than the Normandy map. 

I fly with a reverb1 and I love that map. I've got it gifted but it is worth every penny to me. Especially when on sale 😃

Maybe I have to look into the Normandy map again. It is possible that the performance increased since I have flown it last time.

My 2 cents: I've been waiting for the free play to try out the Channel map and Syria. My system is on the low end - Intel i7-8700, NVidia 1080GTX, 24GB RAM, Rift-S. The other maps (Caucus, Persian Gulf, Nevada, and Normandy) all run fine. Well, I just grabbed the Channel map, and it's unplayable on my machine. I can deal with the stutter when flying around, but in a dogfight, it becomes a slide show. Syria seems to work smoother on my machine - still stutters a bit, but not nearly as bad as the Channel. Too bad, because it's a very nice map. Just not usable in VR on a low end machine like mine.

11 hours ago, Darkowl said:

Interesting, I have observed it the other way around. The Channel map runs smoother for me than the Normandy map. 

I fly with a reverb1 and I love that map. I've got it gifted but it is worth every penny to me. Especially when on sale 😃

Maybe I have to look into the Normandy map again. It is possible that the performance increased since I have flown it last time.

What are your specs? CPU GPU?

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

3 hours ago, westr said:

What are your specs? CPU GPU?

I do have a 1070amp an I5-4690 and 16GB of Ram. Pixel density is 1 steam 100%SS and pretty much the VR Presets from DCS.

The Syria map is performing the worst on my system. 

I have an Ryzen 7 3700x running at 4.425 GHz gtx 1080ti and 32gb of ddr4 ram and I struggle to maintain 45fps on channel. It’s the only map that I have the issue with admittedly, I run oculus, still have the CV1. I’ve always had space warp off but interestingly after this last update I’ve found putting it to auto has made gameplay feel smoother. Even though when flying low over houses only causes a drop into the 30s on the channel map it’s significantly noticeable in terms of the gameplay, it really starts to chug.  Yet with Syria right from release I can fly in between high rise blocks without a drop. It’s all a mystery. Only issue I have with Syria in VR is watching the magic trees grow from the ground as I travel along. 

9 hours ago, Darkowl said:

I do have a 1070amp an I5-4690 and 16GB of Ram. Pixel density is 1 steam 100%SS and pretty much the VR Presets from DCS.

The Syria map is performing the worst on my system. 

Edited by westr

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

Bummer, was thinking of getting it. Tried it on previous on "free to play" event & I had the worst FPS (& stutters) of all maps. Pity it's not optimized yet, Now I have VR, not even worth trying  🙁 .

i7 8700k@4.7, 1080ti, DDR4 32GB, 2x SSD , HD 2TB, W10, ASUS 27", TrackIr5, TMWH, X-56, GProR.

The problem I see here is more than fps... it is not played by anyone in multiplayer. The higher number of players server has been this afternoon with 10 or so but aerobatics. Usually 2-4 people.

But, in single player download area there is nothing. Just the Mbot dynamic campaign and I think no missions. At least from what I searched (would be nice to add maps filters).

Most of WW2 single player and multiplayer missions are in Normandia. Of course it is older, but it is cheaper also, and here it comes the problem with addons. In Il2 you can play a map without buying it in multiplayer (no in single player). In Arma2, you could use maps with lower texture resolution or details.

IMHO, this is the main problem of DCS the break of the community with payware maps. Planes are not a problem (you use it or not in multiplayer) but someone that bought the maps will find that his friends continue playing Caucasus or maybe Persian Gulf because it was cheap one day.

So I think I will pass on this one again until I see more movement in the community with this map.

On 12/26/2020 at 8:30 PM, Invader said:

8700K @4800 and  RTX2080 with Reverb G1 here. Smooth and working like a charm. Am I missing something ? 

Looks like your specs are sufficient, do you experience any drops below 45fps flying low over highly populated areas? Or stuttering? 

Edited by westr

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

20 hours ago, westr said:

Looks like your specs are sufficient, do you experience any drops below 45fps flying low over highly populated areas? Or stuttering? 

Rarely goes bellow 45 fps and quite smooth considering frame rate. I presume 32gb of RAM also helps.

What I have experienced though in Normandy map is higher frame rate but occasional terrible stutters and freezes.

In channel map so far so good.     

1 hour ago, Invader said:

Rarely goes bellow 45 fps and quite smooth considering frame rate. I presume 32gb of RAM also helps.

What I have experienced though in Normandy map is higher frame rate but occasional terrible stutters and freezes.

In channel map so far so good.     

Your biggest difference from me is your graphics card. It could well be a 1080ti just can’t handle the channel map as it is currently. 

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

I can’t fly without shadows in the cockpit. I set them to low. So yes it could make a difference there. 

32gb DDR4 RAM @3200 MHz

Oculus CV1 NvME 970 EVO

• 1 month later...

Just tried this map as part of the free trial week - and with a 6800XT and Reverb G2 the performance was abysmal. It's a no-buy from me, which is a shame. Have most other maps running pretty well with my settings.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Not sure. I have the Reverb G2 and I got decent frames on my 1080Ti. Make sure that you have SteamVR set to automatic resolution and not set to some manual per eye resolution.

I had set it to 85% and the frames were at about 10fps. I changed to Auto and now I have around 45

X-Plane 11.5x / DCS 2.5.6 / P3Dv5 / Aerofly FS 2 / War Thunder

Win10-x64 | ASUS Z390 Maximus VI | Intel i7-9700K @3.6GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB DDR4 | 6TB SSD Samsung 850 Pro | 2TB M2 PCI 4x | ASUS GTX 1080 ROG STRIX 8GB DDR5X | TM Hotas Warthog | Saitek Combat Pedals | Oculus Rift S