CPU or GPU upgrade for VR (Rift S)

kraszus

Scenario 1) Single mission with maybe 6 or 8 other aircraft and a dozen vehicles, I get reasonable FPS in VR.

Scenario 2) Running liberation with many aircraft and vehicles, my FPS tanks and I get black borders in VR.

So is this a CPU or GPU issue? I would have though CPU given I get good FPS with a smaller amount of vehicles in Scenario 1 and the vehicles aren't even in view in Scenario 2 at takeoff when FPS is terrible.

However, playing on monitor (no VR), my FPS are absolutely fine in both scenarios. If it was a CPU issue, shouldn't my FPS tank when playing Scenario 2 on monitor also?

Just trying to figure out what I need to upgrade. Currently running:

AMD Ryzen 5 2600x

GTX 1080

32GB RAM

Rift S

Currently considering Ryzen 7 3800x if it will help me play Liberation in VR.

20 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Both but more of CPU.

To confirm, lower your resolution to absolute lowest in Liberation.  If you're still getting bad FPS with the low resolution, it is definitely CPU.

You can also get fpsvr to see which one is choking.

Does that work with Rift S? (Steam page indictaes it works only with Vive, WMR and Valve)

Does it work with non-steam version of DCS? 

4 hours ago, kraszus said:

Does that work with Rift S? (Steam page indictaes it works only with Vive, WMR and Valve)

Does it work with non-steam version of DCS? 

Doesn't work with Oculus AFAIK.  Oculus has its own built in app which kinda sucks.

I have a Rift S

System Model    X570 GAMING X
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core Processor, 3493 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Product    X570 GAMING X
Platform Role    Desktop
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    32.0 GB

RTX 2080 TI 11g

1st I run DCS WORLD standalone not in STEAM.

If you run it in Steam this may not help at all (I just don't know)

ON THE BACK of the 2080 TI It has

2 HDMI PORTS

2 DISPLAY PORTS

1 VR USB TYPE C DISPLAY PORT (Don't let the USB part fool you its a dedicated Display Port)

Plug the Rift S USB CABLE in like normal.

I bought a "CABLE MATTERS" BRAND conversion cable to hook to the DISPLAY PORT CABLE of the RIFT S. (advertised to work with Oculus) IT then plugs into the VR Display port USB TYPE C on the back of the 2080 TI

Your missions are like what I run in VR I HAD the same issues in VR. My settings are maxed. SO I run Oculus TOOL 1st. Make sure Asynchronous Spacewarp is set to Auto

Then start OCULUS Service Menu. Then Start DCS World.

This has gave me better FPS and WAY LESS not all but 90% less stutter

The Rift S is just not as good of a VR headset as the G2 is. I'll live with it till I jump to a new HP G2, The Turn to the Side View Stutter was just as bad for me till I did the above.

I do not understand why no one is testing or talking about the VR Display Port USB TYPE C on the back of the graphics card. I can find no information on it other then I FEEL it is helping out my VR because it is WAY Faster then a Display port. I figure the DP Cable (on the Rift S) is not a Issue in this factor. I did find the the USB TYPE C display port is

1.) a all in one port giving you Audio/Video/Power from just 1 cable and a Display Port Cable when converted to it will pass along the Video portion way faster the the regular Display Port.

2.) You can connect from the USB TYPE C port to a HUB that can be split into 3 monitors you can daisy chain a bunch of monitors on 1 line if you want, You can also run 3 separate videos (NOT THE SAME) to 3 monitors at the same time from a USB TYPE C display port from 1 cable out. That is crazy. So it has to be able to carry a ton of info fast to be able to do that.

Bottom line is for me my VR to the RIFT S runs better in DCS World. Till I did this I never seen my FPS on the RIFT S go above 40 FPS. I understand why but now when looking out above the heavy areas I see it jumping up over hitting 70 for short times. I have not tested it on Desert Maps yet. I'm thinking it will do even better on them.

Food for thought you may not have a USB TYPE C port on your Graphics card.

From an HP employee.  At least how it is for the G2.  Maybe it works differently for the Rift S, but there’s a lot of talk about this right now because of the 7-14 errors on the G2. 

Low Level HP Employee
1 point· 1 month ago

It can but we don’t recommend it. I used the C port on my 2080 and had nothing but problems with it. I use the adapter and plug it into my mother board and haven’t had a problem since.

We do not recommend PCI USB cards, GPUs included.

(The U in USB means Ugly.)

Edited by TonyG

3 hours ago, DishDoggie said:

I have a Rift S

System Model    X570 GAMING X
System Type    x64-based PC
Processor    AMD Ryzen 9 3950X 16-Core Processor, 3493 Mhz, 8 Core(s), 16 Logical Processor(s)
BaseBoard Product    X570 GAMING X
Platform Role    Desktop
Installed Physical Memory (RAM)    32.0 GB

RTX 2080 TI 11g

1st I run DCS WORLD standalone not in STEAM.

If you run it in Steam this may not help at all (I just don't know)

ON THE BACK of the 2080 TI It has

2 HDMI PORTS

2 DISPLAY PORTS

1 VR USB TYPE C DISPLAY PORT (Don't let the USB part fool you its a dedicated Display Port)

Plug the Rift S USB CABLE in like normal.

I bought a "CABLE MATTERS" BRAND conversion cable to hook to the DISPLAY PORT CABLE of the RIFT S. (advertised to work with Oculus) IT then plugs into the VR Display port USB TYPE C on the back of the 2080 TI

Your missions are like what I run in VR I HAD the same issues in VR. My settings are maxed. SO I run Oculus TOOL 1st. Make sure Asynchronous Spacewarp is set to Auto

Then start OCULUS Service Menu. Then Start DCS World.

This has gave me better FPS and WAY LESS not all but 90% less stutter

The Rift S is just not as good of a VR headset as the G2 is. I'll live with it till I jump to a new HP G2, The Turn to the Side View Stutter was just as bad for me till I did the above.

I do not understand why no one is testing or talking about the VR Display Port USB TYPE C on the back of the graphics card. I can find no information on it other then I FEEL it is helping out my VR because it is WAY Faster then a Display port. I figure the DP Cable (on the Rift S) is not a Issue in this factor. I did find the the USB TYPE C display port is

1.) a all in one port giving you Audio/Video/Power from just 1 cable and a Display Port Cable when converted to it will pass along the Video portion way faster the the regular Display Port.

2.) You can connect from the USB TYPE C port to a HUB that can be split into 3 monitors you can daisy chain a bunch of monitors on 1 line if you want, You can also run 3 separate videos (NOT THE SAME) to 3 monitors at the same time from a USB TYPE C display port from 1 cable out. That is crazy. So it has to be able to carry a ton of info fast to be able to do that.

Bottom line is for me my VR to the RIFT S runs better in DCS World. Till I did this I never seen my FPS on the RIFT S go above 40 FPS. I understand why but now when looking out above the heavy areas I see it jumping up over hitting 70 for short times. I have not tested it on Desert Maps yet. I'm thinking it will do even better on them.

Food for thought you may not have a USB TYPE C port on your Graphics card.

This is interesting. Could you also share your graphical settings inside DCS? Im trying to find the optimal settings for a judder free experience that also look very good. (Im also a Rift S user) Thank you. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

18 hours ago, kraszus said:

Currently considering Ryzen 7 3800x if it will help me play Liberation in VR.

Upgrade the CPU, but i would skip the 3000 series.

Go for ryzen 5000 or Intel 10600K or so. That would be a big improvement.

See my thread with benchmarks.

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD