Autopilot is not working after a cold startup

red_FoX

After I do a cold startup (as it is described in the tutorilal), autopilots are not working. When I press A/P button I get labels ATTH, HSEL, BALT and RALT, but when I click on the appropriate button, nothing happens and I don't get the "colon" indicator that the autopilot is active.

When I do an automatic startup with LWin+Home, autopilots are working properly.

It must be that I'm missing something during the startup! What? 😀

I'm using newest Open Beta v2.5.6.59398.

Edited by red_FoX

AMD Ryzen 3 1300X, 16 GB DDR5, GeForce RTX 2060, Saitek X52

That's strange... You shouldn't need to specifically switch anything on for the autopilot to work. Are you replicating the tutorial exactly? To be honest, sometimes the tutorials include things that are either outdated or unnecessary (don't think they've been updated since release??) Tomcat's tutorial is the same.

Try downloading one of the quick start checklists from the User Files section into your Kneeboard and following that instead. Like this one, for example: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3309354/

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

8 hours ago, Wood said:

Im not sure if that is the issue. Just did instant action ACM and on the way home tried to use autopilot. Did not hold altitude could not hold heading. 

The heading hold is very "touchy."  You have to have the aircraft in a certain range of airspeed and/throttle input (more dependent on the latter).  Use the HDG switch to set your desired heading (either click individually and verify via HSI) or press and hold until HDG shows on UFC - then type in desired heading via UFC scratchpad and then press enter.  Then A/P and 'colonize' HDG.

For the altitude hold - again, you need to have the aircraft in a "close to level horizon attitude."  If you are too far outside level horizon, you will see A/P displayed on the LDDI after trying to 'colonize' BALT.  Gentle forward or aft input of the stick can get the aircraft to an acceptable attitude to achieve BALT hold.  Once you are in BALT, you can put left or right roll into the aircraft (to a certain degree) and have a stable altitude orbit.

If the aircraft isn't trimmed properly, this can also cause issues with heading AP, BALT AP and ATT AP.  I personally never use RALT, as when I am on the deck - AP is the last thing I want to use.

If you are struggling with it, maybe record a short video showing what you are doing and someone can give you specific guidance on what you might be doing wrong.  Put the Hornet into multiple different forms of AP today without any issues.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria

• ED Team

Hi,

we can not reproduce seems fine here. 

thank you

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2