Warthog- Maverick 65Ds won't lock on moving targets.

michelip

Can anyone please help me with a Maverick problem that is driving me crazy when trying to hit moving targets..

Although I can use the Mav seeker head alone to acquire a target, the targeting screen in narrow F.O.V. is not zoom-able, so I would like to use the TGP method but I have never succeeded in using TGP to create an SPI and slave the Mavs. Here is what happens:-

*With Master arm and TGP switches on, Mav 65 Ds are selected from DSMS screen.

*TGP screen is opened and made SOI. Diamond is slewed just ahead of Tgt. and then TMS up short to get area and then POINT tracking. This succeeds and  TGP tracker moves with target. Moving Point is made SPI. 

* MAV screen is made SOI and Mav. is SLAVED to TGP. Mav. seeker moves to Tgt. 

* TMS up short to lock (if not Auto-locked)- Fire Mav.

* Mav. hits ground exactly where Tgt. was when Mav. released -  i.e. Mav. ignores POINT Track mode after firing.

The above targeting procedure is done within 8-9 n.m. of Tgt, and Mav released well within Range Bar limits (about 5 n.m.)

I have watched many tutorials - and have tried all conceivable variations. 

Any help will be very much appreciated.

Mich.

Edited by michelip
Grammatical error

I'll respond here rather than in the other thread; maybe a mod can merge the threads.

The steps you take sound good so far.

The Mav should only launch with a solid track. AFAIK, the way it works in DCS is that it only ever tracks world objects, and there's a little logic to simulate sufficient contrast for a track (which would be the real deal). So we can't lock up a patch of trees or a bit of road, no matter the contrast, because these are not (lockable) objects, but we can lock up bridges, houses, lamp posts and of course all kinds of air and ground vehicles.

That means there's likely either a flaw in the Mav's post launch guidance logic, or you accidentally locked up an object different from your intended target (like a lamp post), or you launched outside of the keyhole parameters and the Mav would have missed in any case.

If you can upload a short track (or a video), that would be a great help to figure out what's going on here. Please also let us know which version of DCS you're running (Stable or OpenBeta, and the exact version number if it's not patched to the latest version).

Thanks Yurgon,     I am using Stable version. I don't think it's an accidental lock on some other object because it has happened dozens of times in varied locations, and Maverick always lands where target was on launch. I tried to post a brief video file to show you what happens but it exceeded the allowable maximum of 5 MB. All it shows is what I have described above.

Regards,

Mich.

Hey Mich,

you could always upload videos to YouTube or Vimeo or store them on Google Drive or Dropbox or so, and then just link them here.

Anyway, I created a small test scenario in the latest 2.5.6 Stable and found no problem with the D model Maverick. 2 shots, 2 kills (plus another 100 % hit rate in a previous mission).

I tried to stick as closely to your described procedures as I could.

Track attached (place it in Saved Games\DCS\Tracks and then watch it from the "Replay" main menu item in DCS).

I actually thought the first shot was outside the keyhole parameters and the missile would miss, but it tracked just fine.

So we really need to look over your shoulder via a track file or a video in order to figure out why it's happening to you, but not to others.

Mav_Test_Caucasus_2.5.6-Stable.trk

Edited by Yurgon