MFG Crosswind F-16 combat pedals

@Revvin the maximum width including the F-16 pedals is 53.5cm

The P1-X Cockpit has a max width between the 40x160mm Profile of 500mm

I see whatever you do it wont be easy  in the standard configuration with any pedals.

The MFGCrosswind would fit in width 494mm in orginal Version but mind the original pedals have a max. height of 264mm.

My advice, if you need more width in the cockpit, you replace the Item profiles out of the part list and you will gain more than 80mm width:

https://shop.gperformance.eu/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/P1-X-manual-0-9.pdf

You will need to replace following positions:

A2: 40x160L Slot8 (length 580mm plus 2x thickness of pos. B26)

C9: 40x160L Slot8 (length 550mm plus 2x thickness of pos.B26)

C10: 40x80L Slot8 (length 550mm plus 2x thickness of pos.B26)

Then you install the Monitor mount with vertical Profile and plate B26 to the inside.

Please cross check parameters.

In the UK where you live is Moteddis one ressource to get these profiles.

https://www.motedis.co.uk/shop/index.php

I hope this helps you for your cockpit PX-1 plan to get more width and you can think about if this would be a solution.

I wrote already the manufacture to get the exact thickness of B26 for you.

best regards trace

Edited by trace

Thanks trace, I was thinking I could get away with just making a small subframe by putting two pieces of 40x40 profile in front of the pedal deck then mounting the pedals to two 40x40 crossmembers to sit on the pieces in front of the pedal deck. With two angle brackets at the end it would stop them sliding.

Alright. Finally received my pair of F-16 foot rests today. Wall of text incoming...

Spent better part of the evening testing them in both DCS and IL-2. The majority of tests were done in DCS where I flew A-10C, P-51D and HUEY. Before reading any further, remember these are my initial impressions after just one evening. I cannot comment on how long they will last compared to the stock foot rests that came with MFG pedals.

The packaging was nicely done with plastic air bags (and bubbly wrap) to keep them in one peace during shipping. 

IMG-20210202-184035.jpg

IMG-20210202-184320.jpg

- Build quality -

When I first picked them up, I was surprised how light they are. There is some 3D printing "roughness" as far as surface finish goes, I've had one thin line peel off from the bottom forward rounded ("grooved", for the lack of a better word) section + there are also some smaller "scratches" inherent to the 3D printing technology. Nothing that hasn't already been mentioned here. Within expectations, I would say. Once mounted I didn't feel as if I wanted them heavier. Haven't measured either sets, but compared vs. the stock rests - these feel few grams lighter.

- Install experience -

The problem I encountered had nothing to do with the new rests, rather with stock ones. Compared to the stock set, here the screws are mounted in the opposite direction which means you have to remove the rear nuts. They were not only glued in, but also pressed in - meaning it required substantially more force to remove than I was comfortable with. IIRC this is only present on the very early batch of MFGs that I have (S/N 0007), if I remember correctly Milan told me he bought nuts and screws from a different supplier which then didn't fit as perfectly in the holes of the already built pedals, he had to apply additional force. Therefore most users will probably not encounter this issue at all. I damaged threads on few of the stock screws. Fortunately, @trace shipped 4 new screws with his set of foot rests, for which he gets a huge thumbs up from me  (the stock screws were still usable though).

IMG-20210202-190532.jpg

IMG-20210202-190542.jpg

The reverse position of the screws with F-16 rests:

IMG-20210202-190555.jpg

The new rests were mounted on the narrower position. Initially I thought I might want a wider position, but decided to proceed testing with a narrow mount.

- Adjustments vs. stock rests -

At first I didn't change anything. The angle, CAM, spring strength - everything was left as with stock rests.

IMG-20210202-221450.jpg

Few minutes in, and I felt the need to dial back the spring strength. The position and how my legs push on the pedals is different than when fully resting on them. I also changed the CAM from no. 5 to no. 4 (less progressive one). Not sure which ones are offered nowadays, but these came with my pedals (1st series / production batch).

After more testing I found the narrow mount/width just perfect. Decided not to mount them in the wide position. The overall width is better than stock MFG rests (I had them angled like "V"). While the venerable F-16 Simpeds had rolling barrels on their lowest section (part where you push with your toes and middle section of your foot), these have a fixed set of grooves. I find this solution better in practice since these are also wider than the Simpeds. During use, my feet just slide horizontally on them and that helps a lot.

I've left the angle and the brake spring strength the same as with stock rests.

- Flight sim impressions -

It felt odd changing from whole feet resting on pedals after some 7-8 years, but my brain and muscle memory quickly adjusted. For yaw axis, there isn't much difference in practice than vs. stock rests... except with helos. I only flew the HUEY but immediately preferred the combat style F-16 rests vs. stock MFG. Since I adjusted stuff on the hardware side, I also double checked my calibration in the MFG software. I ended up removing all filtering from yaw axis. This made an even bigger difference, as I can now deploy more finer control with just my toes touching the pedals vs. whole feet resting on them. Superb!

The breaking feel was similar, but equally efficient as with feet resting on the pedals. Only the style is different. I do prefer this style though and didn't change anything from the stock setup.

TL;DR: very positive, especially for helo pilots.

Summary: highly recommended for every MFG owner out there. Get your set while you still can. 

Edited by [DBS]TH0R
typos, image links
  • Thanks 1

P8Z68 | 2500k @ 4.5 | GTX 1080Ti | 2x8 GB @ 1600 | TM Hog (extended 7cm) & MFG Crosswind (S/N 007) | TIR v5

WWII bomber formations | DCS P-51D: [TEST] TO distance / gross weight / temperature

1 hour ago, TomVR said:

FYI these look like they are based on the ancient hempstick(lol) cad file thats been floating around for years and modified for crosswinds.

I made the model completely myself based on an original F-16 pedal. If you would care to compare the hempstick and my model you will find several obvious differences in shape, where the hempstick one was off. Just look at the curve and cutout placements...

That they are similiar is obvious, as thats simply what an F-16 pedal looks like.. but please dont assume I ripped off someones work, or where did I copy the P-51s from? 🙄

differences.jpg

Edited by rel4y
  • Like 5

Cougar, CH and Saitek PnP hall sensor kits + shift registers: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=220916

Shapeways store for DIY flight simming equipment and repair: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/rel4y-diy-joystick-flight-simming

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hi guys and @trace,

I hope you are all doing well. Three days ago, my MFG Crosswind F-16 Combat Pedals arrived. Btw, this is not a paid advertisement. I bought my pedals and this is an independent review.

The Packaging was very good and withstood the horrible treatment by the Brazilian Mail Service. @trace did a great job packing it from Germany to Brazil.

The installation was not "that" intuitive, but trace told me to remove the original nuts so I could attached the new pedals properly. 

Here goes some pictures I made.

I love the MFG Crosswind Pedals as it was already... Let's see after the addition of the Combat Pedals.

Here how are the new pedals:

TP1.jpg

From the back:

TP2.jpg

The attachment proved to be tricky initially, but after I removed the rear screws from the MFG attachment point, the pedals became very sturdy and stable.

TP3.jpg

My Original MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals (attached to a 50x60cm wood plank:

TP4.jpg

Time to remove the old pedals (and do some clean up LOL 😞

TP5.jpg

Remember to remove the rear screws. One side of mine came out easily, but the other needed some real "tapping" on it. I attached the original screws and tapped it out from the front side. If you don't remove the original screws, it will be almost impossible to make the new pedals firmly attached.

Now the new pedals. Just to show how it is going to be attached (use the original screws that came with it).

TP6.jpg

Let me show how I had to tap the original nuts out:

TP7.jpg

Now it is installed and attached firmly. Don't over-torch it, but you don't need a torchimeter to do it.. LOL You will feel it when it's right.

TP8.jpg

Let's put it into position and test it:

TP9.jpg

Ok, now the part you really want to read about it.

First, the original pedals were a bit too flat to me and I had decided not to change it originally. When I installed the new pedals, I did not change the angle and it fit precisely the way I wanted the new pedals. A bit steeper than the original and not that flat. It wouldn't be necessary to recalibrate it, but I did it anyway. It was good.

I flew around 4 or 5 hrs testing it with the F-16C and the feel was great. I fixed the new pedals with the outer points so I had the pedals a bit wider. I thought I'd give more precision and it was confirmed in the tests. There is another set of attachment points that will make the Pedals 1in (2.54cm) narrower. The wider the pedal, the more precise was my control.

Another thing I sensed is that as I am used to fly with the "heel on the floor" in real life, the new pedals helped me to keep the same ergonomics as I use in RL, contrary of the original MFG pedals. From the bottom to the top, the pedals length is  15cm and I felt that the transition from the "heel on the floor" to the "toe braking" was much easier and faster. The shape of the new pedal also brought a firm grip as I usually fly at home bare-footed (not bare-naked, pls, LOL). I felt that it was much much easier to brake with the new pedals.

I can say that the Trace's Combat Pedals made my rudder and brakes much closer of what I sense in RL. The ergonomics are great and it was a perfect pair to my MFG Crosswind Pedals. Please, be sure that the original MFG pedals are quite good, but the new ones are just excepcional.

I'd like to recommend to all MFG Crosswind Pedal owners to consider this acquisition. Contact @trace via PM and manage your buying. From Germany to Brazil, took around a month to receive it, mostly because of the Brazilian Mail Service (it is quite bad).

@trace, congratulations for your design and I hope you sell a lot of them to our flyers.

All the best,

Sydy

Edited by Sydy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Received my new F16 Combat Pedals - they look great and feel quite solid!.

I have a damper mod kit coming from Milan at MFG, I may wait till I have it and install both at the same time.

I also have the softer spring coming from Milan that may work better with these pedals and also the damper.

yAFVDq4.jpg

6j68Oeu.jpg

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Pedals are now on and looking good.

However I have a new issue. I had the Crosswinds mounted to just the base of a wheel stand pro. This would result with these pedals being a bit too high with heels on floor, so I have removed the Crosswinds from that base and just sitting on the floor.

Now I need to come up with a solution to keep them in place.  I used velcro in the past but was a bit messy when removing them to put my racing gear in.  Got a round of golf here shortly so will try and figure something out for flying tomorrow.

aHRJx0A.jpg

Edited by dburne
  • Thanks 1

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Ok so got a  couple of pieces of ceramic tile that worked pretty good putting between the pedal frame and back of my desk frame so they should stay put.

The pedals themselves are still a tad high, so not sure heels on floor will work with these. And I have pretty large feet. Will likely be putting feet on the pedals to operate.

Will get some flying in with them tomorrow and see how I do.

Also have the damper kit as well as a new soft main spring for the pedals coming from MFG. Hoping that soft spring helps some as well.

My gaming chair has rollers and might be a little tougher due to that, may have to come up with a way to fix the rollers in place.

Edited by dburne

Don B

Ok so got a set of 2.5" dia. lockable caster wheels coming should be here Friday. As long as they fit my AK Racing gaming chair ok should do the trick for me, will help a bunch.

Did not get to spend any time flying today, was dealing with my CM3 return for repair and having to get Warthog throttle set back up for the meantime.

Maybe by Saturday I will get some good time in with the new footrests on the Crosswinds.

Anxious to get back in to some campaign flying in the Hornet.

Edited by dburne

Don B

On 4/1/2021 at 1:09 PM, trace said:

Hello dburne,

sounds fantastic and looking forward for your intensive flying experience on Saturday. Hope you will find your own comfortable postion with your new setup.

Best regards

trace

Also got notice today my Damper Kit for the Crosswinds from MFG will be delivered later today.

So hopefully I can get it all set up for some flying tomorrow. I also ordered a soft main spring from MFG coming with it too.

Don B

@dburne

if I would have known that you will need some stuff from Milan I could have organized it to keep total shipping cost low, like I did before for someone else.

@crazysundog

made a "nightshift" 😎 your F-16 pedals are printed.👍

Edited by trace

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Has anybody compared these with the use of the TM TPR? I'm on the fence whether to get MFG Crosswind + F-16 combat pedals or TM TPR... the MFG Crosswind looks like their have a higher level of quality engineering - yet the TPR appear to have like 10x higher degree of precision according to their specs. 

From reading the forum it seems like people find their are able to make more precise movements compared to having the full foot on the pedals. 

13900@5.8Ghz, Asus TUF 4090 OC, 64GB@6400mhz DDR5, 4K, TrackIR 5, Tobii, Virpil CM2, CM3
F-15E | F-16C | F/A-18C | A-10C | A-10C II | AV-8B | AH-64D |  MI-24P | MI-8 | BS 2 | UH-1H | Mosquito | BF 109 | Spitfire | P-47D | CA | SC | WWII AP

I had Crosswinds (without combat pedals) and TPRs and preferred the TPRs due to their unique mounting mechanism. Build quality was equally fine.

Edited by tintifaxl
  • Like 2

Windows 10 64bit, Intel i9-9900@5Ghz, 32 Gig RAM, MSI RTX 3080 TI, 2 TB SSD, 43" 2160p@1440p monitor.