what is this all about framedrops?

memoric

Hello

So yesterday my new VR Headset (Reverb G2) arrived and I want to try it out now. I have the winwing HOTAS since May 2020, and got no noticeable trouble with it on my old GTX1080ti. I've changed GPU (now a RTX3090) also, just for the new VR Headset.

I read somwhere that the winwing software can slow down your fps. How do I counter this? Is the software even necessary to run?

Can someone help?

I haven't tried it yet as I am still installing DCS. But i want to solve this trouble before.

Thanks

Go to you saved games/DCS/scripts folder, open export.lua and check if there are the following two lines referencing the winwing exports, if so remove them.

local wwtlfs=require('lfs')
dofile(wwtlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/wwt/wwtExport.lua')

They added an option in the last version of simappro to not put these entries back every time the app starts up, the other alternative is to go to the simappro settings and point the saved games folder setting to another empty folder so it doesn't mess with your actual saved games folder.

My CPU frametimes dropped from 28+ ms to 8ms by removing the WW exports!

Edited by Bullant
  • Like 1

Intel i7 13700K @ 5.3 GHz / ASUS TUF Gaming Z490-Plus / 64 Gb G.Skill DDR4-3600 / RTX 4090 / 2TB Kingston KC3000 NVME / Win 10 x64 Pro / Pimax Crystal / WINWING F/A-18 HOTAS

A-10C, AJS-37, AV-8B, F-4E, F-5E, F-14, F-15E, F-16, F/A-18C, F-86F, FC3, Christen Eagle 2, FW190D-9, Mosquito, P-47D, P-51D, Spitfire, AH-64D, KA-50, UH-1H

Combined Arms, WWII Asset Pack, China Assets Pack, Super Carrier, Falklands Assets

Nevada, Normandy, Persian Gulf, The Channel, Syria, Mariana Islands, South Atlantic, Sinai

• 3 weeks later...

Before the last SimAppPro update I comment out those two lines in the Export.lua. Significat FPS boost!! 27 - 36 % better! 

Hardware:

Asus ROG Strix X-570-F | AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D | Asus GeForce RTX 4090 TUF Gaming | Kingston Fury Renegade DDR4-3600 CL16  64 GB | Corsair HX850i | Samsung SSD 980 PRO 500 GB M.2 | Kingston A2000 1TB M.2 | BenQ LCD BL3201PT | HP Reverb G2  | Loogitech G700s | Loogitech MX Ergo | Winwing F/A-18 H.O.T.A.S | TekCreations F18 Hornet Right Replica Panel | Thrustmaster Hotas Cougar FCC | Thrustmaster Pendular Rudder | SimShaker JetPad |

Software:

Windows 11m Home x64 ver.22H2| SteamVR | VoiceAttack | FPSvr | SimShaker for Aviators Beta ver. 2.6.1.0 |

It has been reported. Hopefully WW will have a large Simmapro update out shortly

Ryzen 9 7950X3D - MSI MAG X670E TomaHawk MB, ASUS ROG Ryujin III 360 AIO

64gig Corsair DDR5@6000, Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4090 AORUS

Winwing Super Taurus, Orion2, TO / Combat panels, Collective with Topgun MIP

Winwing Skywalker pedals, NLR Boeing Mil Edition Simpit, Trackir

I was having the same issue with my FPS dropping.  I turned off G-Sync and selected FAST for Vertical sync in NIVIDA Control Panel under Manage 3D settings, moved the two lines of lua code to the bottom of the Export.lua file,  and checked the box Close the modification of Export.lua file in SimAppPro Settings.  I dont know what exactly fixed the FPS drop but it seem like I get a little better FPS than I did before installing SimAppPro and now my lights on my throttle also work properly.  Maybe this will help some people out with this issue and narrow down the exact problem.

• 4 weeks later...

the lines of code, this sort of polling will essentially cause the CPU to do work on a very regular basis, taking cycles away from the game in 2d you can get away with it in VR not so much, and in VR you are never going to notice the lights that don't synchronise so you really wont care

SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel Corei7-12700KF @ 5.1/5.3p & 3.8e GHz, 64Gb RAM, 4090 FE, Dell S2716DG, Virpil T50CM3 Throttle, WinWIng Orion 2 & F-16EX + MFG Crosswinds V2, Varjo Aero
SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 11, VoiceAttack & VAICOM PRO

1569924735_WildcardsBadgerFAASig.jpg.dbb8c2a337e37c2bfb12855f86d70fd5.jpg

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/20/2020 at 6:03 PM, Bullant said:

Go to you saved games/DCS/scripts folder, open export.lua and check if there are the following two lines referencing the winwing exports, if so remove them.

local wwtlfs=require('lfs')
dofile(wwtlfs.writedir()..'Scripts/wwt/wwtExport.lua')

They added an option in the last version of simappro to not put these entries back every time the app starts up, the other alternative is to go to the simappro settings and point the saved games folder setting to another empty folder so it doesn't mess with your actual saved games folder.

My CPU frametimes dropped from 28+ ms to 8ms by removing the WW exports!

Yeah its a major performance problem in VR. I wish they would update the WinSimApp to either fix it or just let me disable it in there. 

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Can you post a screen of where that is?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

On 3/7/2021 at 12:58 PM, nicka117 said:

Im a little confused guys, does the check box for Close the modification in the simapp setting not fix it?

It didn't for me.  Check the box to not overwrite the lua.  Open the lua and remove the lines indicated above.  I went from CPU frametime of 30ms + back down to single digits on Syria single player after turning it off in the settings and deleting the lines from the lua. 

1 hour ago, Harlikwin said:

Can you post a screen of where that is?

Login to the app and click the gear icon.  It is about half way down.

Screenshot_1.png