Jump to content

flap jamming


Recommended Posts

Precisely. Be ready for the sink rate though. It’s not a lot but to the inexperienced can be easily missed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Win 10, AMD FX9590/water cooled, 32GB RAM, 250GB SSD system, 1TB SSD (DCS installed), 2TB HD, Warthog HOTAS, MFG rudders, Track IR 5, LG Ultrawide, Logitech Speakers w/sub, Fans, Case, cell phone, wallet, keys.....printer

Link to post
Share on other sites

I tend to just use the manoeuvre flaps (DLC back/forward) for carrier take off rather than the full flaps, and full MIL power on the F14b only. The F14a does need AB though I try to cut it as soon as possible to conserve fuel.

 

Edit the new update does improve non-AB TF30 / F14a performance, I still like to run a bit of AB after clearing the cat to keep it safe though.


Edited by Sideburns
  • Like 1

Core i5 6600k@4.2Ghz | 32gb DDR4 3200Mhz | MSI 2070 Gaming Z | 500Gb OS SSD + 1TB Gaming SSD | Asus VG27AQ | Trackhat clip | Thrustmaster Warthog

 

F14 | F16 | AJS37 | F5 | Av8b | FC3 | Mig21 | FW190D9 | Huey

 

Been playing DCS from Flanker 2.0 to present :D

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks.  I switched from using a HOTAS button for binary flaps to using a lever axis (I have a bunch of Saitek pro throttle quads for multi-engine in MSFS), having a physical lever that shows the flap position helps a bit, now I just need to train out the leisurely cleanup I'm used to doing on climb out and my timing of bringing them out in the break.


Edited by 9thHunt
Link to post
Share on other sites

The -A launches just fine from the carrier without AB! Mil power works! Since there is really no adjustment done on the Catapult side (weight, wind, steam) you could launch it flaps up and mil power only. I tried the heaviest load I could and the result was the same. She will rotate regardless. And you should be at full flaps for takeoff from the ship and not maneuver flaps unless, you don't care about realism and procedures!  


Edited by Jackjack171

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/20/2020 at 11:00 PM, Sideburns said:

I tend to just use the manoeuvre flaps (DLC back/forward) for carrier take off rather than the full flaps, and full MIL power on the F14b only. The F14a does need AB though I try to cut it as soon as possible to conserve fuel.

Best advice ever. Use full flaps for landing ONLY! And even then, only when landing on the boat are they mandatory.

Current modules:

FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map......ah yes, forgot the Super Carrier! Shows you how often i fly these days....

 

Modules in waiting: F-14A, MiG-23, F-4U, F-8, Falklands Map

 

 

Wish list: South East Asia map, F-4J/N, A-6, F-15A/C, Su-27, Sea Harrier FRS.1, Mirage III, MiG-17.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jackjack171 said:

Really? That's new. Where did you read this from?

Nowhere, trial and error.
Well, not exactly. Once i had a chance to interview a person that claimed to be an F-14 driver and he said that they would often launch with half flaps or maneuver flaps only. Seams to have worked with the A's on full burner or zone 3.

As for landing with maneuver flaps on land bases, that's just something i discovered on my own in DCS. She produces so much lift that at times you don't really need flaps to land. So maneuver flaps are more then enough. Especially at lower weights. is this by the book? Heck now. But a lot of things aren't by the book in DCS and yet we put up with them 😄

Current modules:

FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map......ah yes, forgot the Super Carrier! Shows you how often i fly these days....

 

Modules in waiting: F-14A, MiG-23, F-4U, F-8, Falklands Map

 

 

Wish list: South East Asia map, F-4J/N, A-6, F-15A/C, Su-27, Sea Harrier FRS.1, Mirage III, MiG-17.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, captain_dalan said:

Nowhere, trial and error.
Well, not exactly. Once i had a chance to interview a person that claimed to be an F-14 driver and he said that they would often launch with half flaps or maneuver flaps only. Seams to have worked with the A's on full burner or zone 3.

As for landing with maneuver flaps on land bases, that's just something i discovered on my own in DCS. She produces so much lift that at times you don't really need flaps to land. So maneuver flaps are more then enough. Especially at lower weights. is this by the book? Heck now. But a lot of things aren't by the book in DCS and yet we put up with them 😄

Lol. True. DCS is after all a game. I try to fly IAW NATOPS and what I know from being on active duty. When I worked on the Flight Deck, I'd never seen a flaps up takeoff. Nor a landing for that matter. Seen a lot of single engine landings! Anyway, here's some from my NATOPS stash:

F-14
7.4.8.1 Maneuvering Flaps Takeoff
Maneuvering flaps provide improved takeoff perfor
mance when compared to the flaps−up configuration and
eliminate the pitching moment associated with main flap and
slat retraction after takeoff. Slow−speed handling character
istics are superior to the flaps−up configuration. Additionally,
possible automatic maneuvering flap/slat extension during
rotation/transition to flight can be avoided by extending ma
neuvering flaps before takeoff.

CV NATOPS (old) NAVAIR 00-80T-105
2. Ensure the aircraft is properly configured for
flight, paying particular attention to flap/slat setting, open panels, safety pins, wing locks, and
stabilator position.

The last part is for the A/C Director (me) and all involved in the launch. If the A/C is not configured correctly, we suspend the launch. In DCS, we have none of that though (yet). The catapult in DCS will launch you regardless of your weight and config and no one is there to tell you to stop. And let's not forget, there's the wind over deck and CAT steam pressure to consider Lol. 

3 hours ago, 9thHunt said:

Thanks.  I switched from using a HOTAS button for binary flaps to using a lever axis (I have a bunch of Saitek pro throttle quads for multi-engine in MSFS), having a physical lever that shows the flap position helps a bit, now I just need to train out the leisurely cleanup I'm used to doing on climb out and my timing of bringing them out in the break.

 

Found this for you mate:

F-14 NATOPS
8.7.6 Catapult Launch
On turnup signal from the catapult officer ensure
throttles in MIL and check all instruments. When ready for
launch, place external light master switch ON (bright and
steady). After launch, establish an 8° to 10 pitch attitude,
cross−checking instruments to ensure a positive rate of climb.
Retract the landing gear. An altitude of 500 feet is considered
to be minimum altitude for retraction of flaps. 

7.4.8.1 Maneuvering Flaps Takeoff
Maneuvering flaps provide improved takeoff perfor
mance when compared to the flaps−up configuration and
eliminate the pitching moment associated with main flap and
slat retraction after takeoff. Slow−speed handling character
istics are superior to the flaps−up configuration. Additionally,
possible automatic maneuvering flap/slat extension during
rotation/transition to flight can be avoided by extending ma
neuvering flaps before takeoff.

F-14B/D
7.4.7.1 Afterburner Takeoff
Afterburner takeoffs are limited to single−engine, mini
mum afterburner takeoffs, waveoffs, bolters, or catapult
launches. Dual−engine afterburner and single−engine maxi
mum afterburner takeoffs, waveoffs, bolters, or catapult
launches are prohibited. Refer to Chapters 4 and 11.

Hope this helps!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Jackjack171 said:

Lol. True. DCS is after all a game. I try to fly IAW NATOPS and what I know from being on active duty. When I worked on the Flight Deck, I'd never seen a flaps up takeoff. Nor a landing for that matter. Seen a lot of single engine landings! Anyway, here's some from my NATOPS stash:

F-14
7.4.8.1 Maneuvering Flaps Takeoff
Maneuvering flaps provide improved takeoff perfor
mance when compared to the flaps−up configuration and
eliminate the pitching moment associated with main flap and
slat retraction after takeoff. Slow−speed handling character
istics are superior to the flaps−up configuration. Additionally,
possible automatic maneuvering flap/slat extension during
rotation/transition to flight can be avoided by extending ma
neuvering flaps before takeoff.

 

Hah, that guy wasn't pulling my leg it would seam. They really did maneuver flap takeoffs in the thing 😄
My faith in my old time internet acquaintances is restored!

Current modules:

FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map......ah yes, forgot the Super Carrier! Shows you how often i fly these days....

 

Modules in waiting: F-14A, MiG-23, F-4U, F-8, Falklands Map

 

 

Wish list: South East Asia map, F-4J/N, A-6, F-15A/C, Su-27, Sea Harrier FRS.1, Mirage III, MiG-17.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/21/2020 at 5:59 PM, Jackjack171 said:

F-14B/D

7.4.7.1 Afterburner Takeoff
Afterburner takeoffs are limited to single−engine, mini
mum afterburner takeoffs, waveoffs, bolters, or catapult
launches. Dual−engine afterburner and single−engine maxi
mum afterburner takeoffs, waveoffs, bolters, or catapult
launches are prohibited. Refer to Chapters 4 and 11.

What does it mean by single- or duel engine AB?  Doesn't the tomcat have an asymmetric thrust limiter that prevents the pilot from putting only one engine in afterburner?

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 9thHunt said:

What does it mean by single- or duel engine AB?  Doesn't the tomcat have an asymmetric thrust limiter that prevents the pilot from putting only one engine in afterburner?

Said system will keep one engine in min burner until the other one lights as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is important to remember that 225 knots is the flap limit. Now, if you do overspeed them, do not dispair. Doesnt mean they will break right away, however: you must avoid moving them when oversped. So say you take off, forget and find yourself at 270kts with full flaps down. Do not retract them. First: slow down below 225 kts, then retract them and make sure to avoid aggressive maneuvers while they are out and you should be good no problem. The jamming 9/10 comes from moving the flaps when overspeeding.

 

As for landings and take offs: MFs on landbased, full flaps on carrier, always full flaps on landing + speedbreak. no AB during take off for the B (because if 1 engine fails assymmetric thrust will be too big and kill you) and ABs for the A.

Heatblur Simulations

 

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

 

http://www.heatblur.com/

 

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...