Unguided bombs CCIP HUD symbology question

Smashy

I've been reading up on dumb bomb delivery using CCIP mode in the Hornet and one thing has been driving me nuts.  Under the HUD altitude box, I've seen the letters "A", "B", "R" appear when an unguided bomb is selected to be delivered in CCIP mode.  I have no idea what these mean.  I've looked through the early release manual, Chuck's guide, Hoggit Wiki, various Youtube videos, searched forums/reddit and even scanned the NATOPS manual and haven't found any information about these letters.

Screenshot 2020-12-19 231436.jpg

Screenshot 2020-12-19 231517.jpg

These images were grabbed from the Hoggit Wiki.  For the most part, it seems "B" shows up when on a good profile for delivery.  I've seen "A" show up when I'm nowhere near a good profile to deliver.  I've rarely seen "R" and can't recall when that appeared.

Anyone know what these letters indicate?

Each letter indicates what method the aircraft is currently using to obtain the CCIP slant range calculation. 'A' for Air-to-Ground Radar (AGR), 'B' for barometric altitude, 'R' for radar altitude. The computer will attempt to make the calculation based on the priority order of: AGR -> Baro -> Radalt.

Edited by Tholozor
  • Thanks 2

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

15 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

Each letter indicates what method the aircraft is currently using to obtain the CCIP slant range calculation. 'A' for Air-to-Ground Radar (AGR), 'B' for barometric altitude, 'R' for radar altitude. The computer will attempt to make the calculation based on the priority order of: AGR -> Baro -> Radalt.

Interesting.

Which letter appears when using DTED instead of the other three? 

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

I don't believe that DTED/TAMMAC is a valid method for calculating impact positions, at least in the Hornet, while AGR exists to provide far more accurate range data. Something like that is more valid in the A-10 that has no radar to range with.

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

5 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

I don't believe that DTED/TAMMAC is a valid method for calculating impact positions, at least in the Hornet

I think it is, that's why I asked 🙂

I wonder if it has a letter when DTED is the current method.

Edited by Joni

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

1 minute ago, BarTzi said:

None, it's not a case.

What do you mean? What case? DTED is the digital terrain elevation data the Hornet lot 20 uses. It is like the DTSAS of the hog.

Anyway, AGR works with the radar turned off, lol. It even says the letter A and RDDI displays slant range. Has anyone reported it?

1 hour ago, Joni said:

What do you mean? What case? DTED is the digital terrain elevation data the Hornet lot 20 uses. It is like the DTSAS of the hog.

It's not a method of calculating impact points, as Tholozor stated above. You asked what letter appears, and there is none. It's not used.

Edited by BarTzi

3 hours ago, Joni said:

I think it is, that's why I asked 🙂

I wonder if it has a letter when DTED is the current method.

Its not, CCIP symbology should only appear with TDC assigned to the HUD (And consequently AGR active), afaik.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

7 hours ago, Tholozor said:

Exactly the information I was looking for.  Thank you!  I really find it satisfying to learn about and understand these details.  However, I can confirm this does not appear to be modeled properly as Joni mentioned above.  I just ran a quick test.  Notice the radar is in SIL mode but AGR is still being used to compute release point:

image.png

I'm really having a lot of fun learning the Hornet but one of things that is really slowing me down is figuring out what exactly is wrong when I come across an unknown/undocumented item or something that contradicts documentation I've read.  I don't know if:

• it's me doing something wrong
  • not modelled yet
  • incorrectly modelled
  • outright bug
  • error in documentation
  • any combination of the above

It's time-consuming to try to figure out these little corner cases that pop up every now and then.  I'm still having a blast and these little nit-picks don't detract from my experience much, if at all.

• Like 2