[REPORTED]ZSU-57 shoots low yield nukes and can frontally kill MBTs

Shadow KT

As the title suggest.... the ZSU is in serious need of a tweak ... it can blow up (literally blow up with an explosion) multiple vehicles with one burst. It can kill MBTs frontally and through their side with a burst.

It doesn't always pen, but you can just spam it and you will eventually get them, with two shots.

ZSU Tactical Nuke.trk

• Like 2

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

/runs for cover

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

That's the sort of problem that arises whenever you have a hitpoint-based system and rapid fire AA weapons. 🙂 ArmA had similar problems, with Shilkas being able to clobber MBTs thanks to their huge ROF and large magazine. 

ZSU-57 would be quite dangerous to MBTs IRL, since the 57mm rounds are large and it can fire rather fast, but it certainly wouldn't be causing them to explode like that. Also, it likely wouldn't be able to take proper aim before getting blasted. Its problems were a cumbersome aiming system and inadequate crew protection, but DCS doesn't model that. 

• Like 1

Was this new unit tested?

Most interesting thing its not the damage to the target itsef. But that it blows the surrounding vehicles too, with that munition.
That single twin-barrel round did more damage than a GBU, or at least same

Thanks for bring this bug up

• BIGNEWY changed the title to [INVESTIGATING]ZSU-57 shoots low yield nukes and can frontally kill MBTs
  • ED Team

Hi all,

we have made a tweak internally already, it may need some more tweaking after.

thanks

• Like 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

41 minutes ago, Renko said:

Was this new unit tested?

Most interesting thing its not the damage to the target itsef. But that it blows the surrounding vehicles too, with that munition.
That single twin-barrel round did more damage than a GBU, or at least same

Thanks for bring this bug up

I guess that's the result of it being coded as flak munition that is supposed to have an area effect when exploding in the air.

Edited by QuiGon

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

On 12/20/2020 at 10:47 PM, Dragon1-1 said:

That's the sort of problem that arises whenever you have a hitpoint-based system and rapid fire AA weapons. 🙂 ArmA had similar problems, with Shilkas being able to clobber MBTs thanks to their huge ROF and large magazine. 

ZSU-57 would be quite dangerous to MBTs IRL, since the 57mm rounds are large and it can fire rather fast, but it certainly wouldn't be causing them to explode like that. Also, it likely wouldn't be able to take proper aim before getting blasted. Its problems were a cumbersome aiming system and inadequate crew protection, but DCS doesn't model that. 

HE-T shouldn't do much to MBTs unless they hit something unprotected. The main problem would be the APCBC-HE-T rounds which can penetrate the hull-sides of probably most MBTs (I think it has something like the approximate penetration of 30/40mm APFSDS, around 120-ish mm RHAe penetration)  combined with it's high fire rate. 

And yes absolutely agreed on the simplified damage modelling of ground vehicles, if I'm honest that's probably at fault.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

57mm HE-T would most certainly do damage to an MBT. The fragments from the explosion itself would damage optics, machine guns and everything on the exterior, while the shock from the explosive and the impact itself would cause spallation and internal damage. It likely wouldn't kill the crew, but repeated pounding with those shells could incapacitate them. A single 57mm shell wouldn't do much to cripple a tank unless it hit a track, but a veritable shower of those that ZU-57-2 can output probably would.

However, in this case, it's just strong enough to burn away the tank's hitpoints with repeated hits. Also, to get any sort of effect against aircraft, the blast radius is grossly overinflated, since DCS doesn't model fragmentation.

• BIGNEWY changed the title to [REPORTED]ZSU-57 shoots low yield nukes and can frontally kill MBTs