Rift S Tracking

tylero68

Yet another Rift S problem. I haven't exactly been keeping count, but I am going to guess at least half of my flights are cut short by some sort of VR issue (the past few days it's been close to 100%). See my other thread about the sound/video cutting out. This morning I was doing some single player training in the F16 and my tracking goes to hell. This issue has been ongoing, and I don't know if it's related to the issue from my other post( https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/255614-soundvr-headset-issues-in-multiplayer/?tab=comments#comment-4511860). What happens is, out of nowhere, my forward and backwards tracking no longer works correctly. I can turn my head and look around and it it seems to work fine. When I move forward and backward, instead of moving forward in the cockpit to get a closer view of an MFD for example, the entire cockpit moves with me. Nothing in particular causes this that I am aware of, and the issue persists after leaving the game (in the oculus home screen for example). I generally restart the computer to fix it. Any idea? 

A bit of a rant here, but my experience with the Rift S has been absolutely terrible, and without a doubt it's the biggest piece of shit computer component I have ever purchased. The issues rarely seem to be hardware related, but always dealing with the software. Support is awful and their solution tree is always in this order: 1. Blame other software 2. Uninstall and reinstall oculus software. Most often it's a band-aid that temporarily fixes the issue for it to only appear again in a few weeks. 

I want to sell it, but I honestly feel bad charging somebody else for it.  /endrant

3700x, MSI 3080 Ventus 3x OC, 32 GB 3200mhz RAM, Rift S or Track IR, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Logitech Rudder Pedals

At the risk of sounding like Oculus Support, have you tried re-seating the cable at the headset?  I have had issues in the past with my Rift S, and that resolved it.  My display would get some static/snow in it, and it would occasionally lose tracking much like yours.  However, unlike yours, mine lost total tracking.  Really hope it's something simple like that, but I'm guessing they probably already had you go thru these steps.  Good luck though!

i5-9600k @ 5.0 GHz| Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32 GB Trident G.Skill RAM @ 3200 MHz | Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO | Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD | Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2 | SanDisk 1TB SSD | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra Gaming | EVGA G3 850W Gold PSU | Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow Edition | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFC Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift-S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have. My cable doesn't seat well as it is and has a tendency to get snowy so I have it rigged up to prevent it from coming lose. But I suppose I can try and reseat it again. 

3700x, MSI 3080 Ventus 3x OC, 32 GB 3200mhz RAM, Rift S or Track IR, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Logitech Rudder Pedals

My Rift S works pretty well, I have a PCI card so it doesnt have problems with to little power which seems to be a pretty common problem when connected to the motherboard. One thing though that I think causes tracking issues are if Windows 10 is running a scheduled backup or is downloading updates in the background. That seem to not kill the tracking completly but introduces random problems like looking over the right shoulder makes you teleport to outside the aircraft so you need to recenter.

2 hours ago, Fisherman82 said:

My Rift S works pretty well, I have a PCI card so it doesnt have problems with to little power which seems to be a pretty common problem when connected to the motherboard. One thing though that I think causes tracking issues are if Windows 10 is running a scheduled backup or is downloading updates in the background. That seem to not kill the tracking completly but introduces random problems like looking over the right shoulder makes you teleport to outside the aircraft so you need to recenter.

A PCI usb expansion card?

I got into these problems just recently, too. Running simple training missions, flying all alone in bright sunshine weather and everything is o.k. But as soon as some AI plus static objects gets into play this lost tracking issues start to happen. Today I tested another flight simulator that recently got VR and I had no issues with loosing tracking - and this sim seems to me much more demanding than DCS. And I have the RiftS connected to a separate PSU powered PCI-E USB-3-card as the only device on this card.

So I assume its some mix of becoming more and more a problem of in thge first line bad supported RiftS software plus Windows 10 core updates and graphics drivers that may finally result in such problems too. Add DCS updates that are well known for solving one issue while breaking other things that worked well so far and you get a miss and hit situation with this stuff.

And I am sure my next - if ever - VR headset would be no Zuckerberg-Data-Mining crap and most likely one with an external tracking solution like the Index has, I am fed up with this bugfest of inside-out tracking.

Primary for DCS and other flightsims: i9 12900K@default OC on MSI Z790 Tomahawk (MS-7D91) | 64 GB DDR5-5600 | Asus TUF RTX3090 Gaming OC | 1x 38"@3840x1600 | 1x 27"@2560x1440 | Windows10Pro64

Spoiler

Secondary: i7 11700k@5.1GHz on MSI Z590 Gaming Force MB| 64 GB DDR4-3200 | PowerColor RX6900XTU Red Devil | 1x 32"@2560*1440 + 1x24"@1980*1200 | Windows10Pro64

Backup: i7 6700K@4.8GHz | 64 GB DDR4-2400 | PowerColor RX5700XT Red Devil | SSD-500/1000GB | 1x49" 32:9 Asus X49VQ 3840x1080 | Windows10Pro64

Flightsim Input Devices: VPC: ACE2 Rudder / WarBRD Base / T-50CM2 Base with 50mm ext. / Alpha-R, Mongoos T-50CM, WarBRD and VFX Grip / T-50CM3 Throttle | VPC Sharka-50 + #2 Controle Panel | TM Cougar MFD-Frames| Rift S - Secondary: TM HOTAS WARTHOG/Cougar Throttle+Stick, F-18-Grip | TM TPR Rudder | DelanClip/PS3-CAM IR-Tracker