One solution for insufficient space for 2.5.6(.59398) update installation

Rabb

Yesterday I had an issue with a new DCS update (and I hope it will not be repeated) - update process started regurarly, but then I got a message that update is 50+ GB in size, and that available space on my dedicated SSD is 10 GB. So, update process would not continue.

By trying solutions alternate to bying a new drive (which is absolutely not an option now), I have tried to perform repair which would also offer to delete all not-original files (and free up some, but not the needed 50 GB of space). Surely, there was nothing to delete, since all skins, cockpits, missions, etc. reside in Saved games folder on a separate drive. And it sucessfully "repaired" my installation to existing version (without update).

So, the solution that worked was that I have moved entire Mods folder (150 GB) to another drive. Update started, but it was then 170 GB in size and it had successfully completed. At the end, I have ended up with additional 4 GB of free space.

Eventually, I have deleted entire backup (moved) Mods folder because there were no controller input files, skins, cockpits, mods or whatever custom-created or modified files there.

Hope this helps someone with similar issues.

And I really wish that someone thought a little bit more before releasing such an update.

Edited by Rabb

FYI

Hello Rabb,

I had the same problem on Thursday.

Repairing the update failed, too, finally I could not start the sim anymore. So I had to install DCS anew from the beginning (although I had Win 10 including DCS freshly installed some hours before). Worth mentioning I even was not able to use the deinstallation routine any more, so that I had to delete DCS manually  :-(

Just like you I was not not amuzed (... :censored:)

Best

Fastbreak

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"

1 hour ago, Fastbreak said:

...Worth mentioning I even was not able to use the deinstallation routine any more, so that I had to delete DCS manually  :-(

That was a strange thing I have also noticed - entire DCS folder/group from Start menu simply vanished (Start -> All Programs). Nowhere to be found. And it was in a custom subfolder of Start menu. Tried search functions and results were negative. So, repair was performed through command prompt!

Dual monitor problem with latest update 2.5.6(.59398)

I have been flying the KA-50 with the latest update in multiplayer. I was in dual monitor mode (cockpit and shkval). I have experienced permanent black screens and interference. After a while DCS switched to the primary monitor and cockpit and shkval were solely displayed on my primary monitor.  Switching back to 1 screen DCS worked flawless. NO problems when using windows alone.

- latest windows 20H2 / build 19042.685

- latest NVIDEA driver 460.89 (gtx 1080ti)

- fresh installations

- no mods

Has anybody experienced same or similar DCS display behaviour?

System Components

Power supply: be quiet! Dark Power Pro 11 650W 80Plus Platinum <> Motherboard: Asus Rog Strix X570-E Gaming  <> Processor: Ryzen 5 5600x <> Cooler: DeepCool Gammaxx C40 <> RAM: 2x16GB HyperX Predator 3600Mhz <> SSD: 2x1TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe M.2 (Raid 0) <> HD: 2TB Seagate BarraCuda <> Graphics card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080 Ti 11G Gaming <> Head tracking: TrackIR4 Pro <> dunTrackR <> Monitors: Philips bdm4065uc 40" 4K 3840x2160  (Camera) <> 2x IBM 15" 1024x768 (LMFCD & RMFCD)

Cockpit: self-construction <> Controls: Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog (extension for cyclic & collective control) <> Thrustmaster Rudder Control System <> Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium <> Logitech Z-560 THX Sound System

"...Runways are for beauty queens!"