61 GB Update!? I Don't Have It!

Fang333333

Hello All

Unless I am reading this wrong the latest update is 61 GB!? I simply do not have the room on the 500GB SSD. I have 1 TB on an other drive and 20GB left on the DCS drive but I dunno how I am gonna update now... Anyone have any suggestions? I own every aircraft and campaign so I am a little hesitent to risk losing saved files and trying a complete reinstall. Man though, 61GB? Could we have not broken that down a little so that I don't have to scramble deleting files? I would much rather 3 or 4 updates than one GIANT update.  Seriously I dunno how I am ever gonna update this thing.

Thanks

Fang

Edited by Fang333333

DCS installs can be moved to another drive without much hassle.

If you have room on the 1TB, move you're entire DCS over to that drive (or if you have both stable and openbeta on that 500GB, move only one of the two).

Then update your shortcuts.

Tip: Skatezilla's tool:

Edited by Lange_666
  • Like 1

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

IIRC not all files in the update are new downloads. Most of it is just updating existing files, so the total load is not 61 GB.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

🇺🇦  SLAVA UKRAINI  🇺🇦

MoBo - ASUS 990FX R2 Sabertooth,     CPU - AMD FX 9590 @4.7Gb. No OC
RAM - GSkill RipJaws DDR3 32 Gb @2133 MHZ,   GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 1660Ti 6Gb DDR5 OC'd, Core 180MHz, Memory 800MHz
Game drive - Samsung 980 M.2 EVO 1Tb SSD,    OS Drive - 860 EVO 500Gb SATA SSD, Win10 Pro 22H2

Controls - Thrustmaster T-Flight HOTAS X,   Monitor - LG 32" 1920 X 1080,   PSU - Prestige ATX-PR800W PSU

• ED Team
18 hours ago, rayrayblues said:

IIRC not all files in the update are new downloads. Most of it is just updating existing files, so the total load is not 61 GB.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong

Indeed, for some files only changes are downloaded if it makes a win in DL size. However, to reconstruct the files the updater still needs disk space.

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

Hi guys. So I decided instead of using Skatezilla I uninstaslled and reinstalled. The irony that I could not update without deleting files but if I just wipe out DCS I can get the update without deleting non-DCS files... Anyway, before deleting I copied files from Saved Games and from the Eagle Dynamic folder from the C drive to the D drive. I than reinstalled on the C Drive SSD and I am now going to try to move files back. This is the first reinstall I have done since owning DCS. I am hoping it fixes some random issues I have had with the sim, Viacom, etc. My question is where can I find the Sim settings folder (Graphics settings, etc), Saved misson files and campaign saves. I want to try and copy only the needed files to get DCS back to the way it was, in order to avoid putting the issues I had back into the new install.

Thanks all!

And again, if anyone is listening from Eagle Dynamics, could we maybe have smaller sized updates, I don't want to have to do this again for the next update... Thanks!

• ED Team
14 hours ago, Fang333333 said:

And again, if anyone is listening from Eagle Dynamics, could we maybe have smaller sized updates, I don't want to have to do this again for the next update... Thanks!

We are. The updater tries its best to keep a valid working DCS when updating. So it does not delete old files until it has all the new ones.

Reinstall does not need to keep anything so it managed to install in such low-free-space environment.

May be the updater can detect such situation and offer to delete old files first before downloading new ones, but this will leave you with a non-working DCS if anything goes wrong with the update.

• Like 1

Dmitry S. Baikov @ Eagle Dynamics

LockOn FC2 Soundtrack Remastered out NOW everywhere - https://band.link/LockOnFC2.

On 12/27/2020 at 3:11 PM, Fang333333 said:

Hi guys. So I decided instead of using Skatezilla I uninstaslled and reinstalled. The irony that I could not update without deleting files but if I just wipe out DCS I can get the update without deleting non-DCS files... Anyway, before deleting I copied files from Saved Games and from the Eagle Dynamic folder from the C drive to the D drive. I than reinstalled on the C Drive SSD and I am now going to try to move files back. This is the first reinstall I have done since owning DCS. I am hoping it fixes some random issues I have had with the sim, Viacom, etc. My question is where can I find the Sim settings folder (Graphics settings, etc), Saved misson files and campaign saves. I want to try and copy only the needed files to get DCS back to the way it was, in order to avoid putting the issues I had back into the new install.

Thanks all!

Thanks for the response c0ff. Good to know Eagle is out there listening and responding. I have have been really impressed with them as of late lol. This is why I own everything you got!

• Thanks 1