DCS: AH-64D Discussion Thread

falcon_120

This aircraft is going to be awesome.  It is much more complex than any of the current ones in it's operation.  Learning both the front and back seats in how they work is going to be almost essential in order to get proficient.  And once you fly with a real person in the opposite seat you will never want to do otherwise again.  This aircraft keeps both seats busy all the time.

I really like the idea of these 'two seater' modules. I don't have the luxury of a proper sim setup right now, but can easily use a mouse and keyboard to operate the gunner/wso/rio seats to get my sim addiction fulfilled while another person online does the flying.

It's also a nice way for sim new comers to start playing DCS, since they don't need to invest any money into hardware to get a good sim experience. Plus they'll likely be pairing up with a sim enthusiast in the pilots seats to help them learn.

October/November is going to be very fun 🙂

Edited by NineGzuz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thought I would start reading my old manual in anticipation 😆

1.jpg

2.jpg

• Like 4

Asus ROG Crosshair Hero VIII , Ryzen 3900X, Nzxt Kraken Z73, Vengence RBG Pro DDR4 3600mhz 32 GB, 2x Corsair MP 600 pcie4 M.2 2 TB , 2x Samsung Qvo SSD 2x TB, RTX 3090 FE, EVGA PSU 800watt, Steelseries Apex Pro. TM WartHog,TM TPR, Track IR, TM 2 x MFD, Asus VG289Q, Virpil Control Panel#2

If you fly without the Wings of the Apache soundtrack playing, are you a even a real Apache pilot?... 🙂 

21.Fire Birds 1991 - Nicolas Cage - Tommy Lee Jones - Sean Young.mp4 - YouTube

Edited by Jockcop
  • Like 1

Modules- F15, F18, Spitfire, Mirage F1, Persian Gulf, Normandy 2.0, Syria, WW2 assets.

"Try to have the same number of landings as you have takeoffs"

On 1/21/2021 at 4:21 PM, vigilante87 said:

I've had to more then just read them, lol. It is certainly cool stuff to learn! It will definitely provide a unique experience in DCS!

I'm with you there. However take the F-18 for example, typically speaking you are controlling two sensors (Radar, FLIR) on your average mission. In the apache that is the most you'd likely control from the CPG station. PLT doesn't control the TADS for target engagements. Controlling the screens you actually have a cursor you can move around if you need to remain hands on controls, and you are able to rapidly change which MFD you have your cursor on. There is a lot of IHADSS symbology that is on all the different modes, so once you get the general layout its not so bad (not including the TADS as a sight).

I get your point though; lots of stuff. I'm stoked to see it coming to DCS! 

Honestly the AH-64D is a ton more intuitive than any platform currently offered on DCS, with maybe the exception of the JF-17, which I know almost nothing about. Sight provides a direction (a vector if you will) and a sensor can provide imagery of the assigned sight. 

i have not changed my avatar since the creation of its account, 2008! this is the best thing in the world. helicopters are so much cooler, always has been. they are mechanically complex machines, just beautiful machines more so than a airplane, just my opinion. i couldnt ask for more really, maybe better ground targets but the D version is more than i can ask for. The moment you put it up for sale i will buy it, i will wait until 2021 is over for this.

Edited by Cosmo81
  • Like 4

On 2/8/2021 at 9:56 AM, KungFu said:

Showing a bit of my age here 🤣

IMG_0074.jpg

ahhh so it finally make sense why ED called the DCS A10C II "tank killer" instead of just retaining the warthog in the title like A10C I.

Looks like they wanted to pay homage to an older game.

Edited by Kev2go
  • Like 2

Build:

Windows 10 64 bit Pro

Case/Tower: Corsair Graphite 760tm ,Asus Strix Z790 Motherboard, Intel Core i7 12700k ,Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 64gb ram (3600 mhz) , (Asus strix oc edition) Nvidia RTX 3080 12gb , Evga g2 850 watt psu, Hardrives ; Samsung 970 EVo, , Samsung evo 860 pro 1 TB SSD, Samsung evo 850 pro 1TB SSD,  WD 1TB HDD

A very very long time ago... in a forum far far away... they used to talk of a "virtual battlefield" in which different modules could all fly in the same map, at the same time.  In those days, your program had one aircraft with a moderate FC-3 level of complexity and a bunch of AI's... or you had ALL the aircraft with no complexity and almost no realism but a fair amount of fun (looking at those EA titles from the late 90's and early 2000's). 

And then the market for sims dwindled as other types of gaming entertainment exploded in popularity. That "virtual battlefield" idea seemed... unlikely.

And yet here we are, now with most of the aircraft from old sims, but all able to fly in the same map, online, with better visuals and more realism than we ever had any right to dream of... 

ED and it's 3rd party partners have the cool jets of 80's through today, and a few from WW2. Others have covered WW-1, WW-2, and the civilian world. Soon, maybe 3 years from now, it might be time to start making more maps, and start on the Cold War era!  Germany, Corsairs over Korea, fly everything over Vietnam, the Nordic region (I want to fly in the Fjords of Norway in my Eurofighter!), fly Mirage III's against Mig's in the Middle East. I guess I'm greedy that way!

• Like 5

Of all sims on the market, I do think DCS has the best RW flight model, so this should be interesting. Please make a comprehensive gunner AI though, I'm sure we'll see a features list when it goes to preorder, but it's going to be a deal breaker for me if we have to hop seats or fly multi crew. MC as an option is great, as a requirement to fully operate a module is not. 

17 hours ago, CrashMcGhee said:

Of all sims on the market, I do think DCS has the best RW flight model, so this should be interesting. Please make a comprehensive gunner AI though, I'm sure we'll see a features list when it goes to preorder, but it's going to be a deal breaker for me if we have to hop seats or fly multi crew. MC as an option is great, as a requirement to fully operate a module is not. 

The AH64D is going to make the Hornet look like a walk in the park, where system modeling is concerned. Unless they add an option to offload a large part of this on the AI co-pilot, it's going to be a non-starter for many. (Myself included) I avoid modules which require significant interaction with the cockpit or a very large number of bound keys. It is simply too much work in VR. I don't want to use Voice Attack, and removing my hands from the HOTAS to blindly grope for keys and the mouse while trying not to crash is tiresome. 

I will be getting a trackball at some point, so I can use the mouse with my left hand while not moving it away too much from my throttle, but I will still avoid modules where it's a lot of work to simply get your weapons to bear. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

28 minutes ago, Lurker said:

The AH64D is going to make the Hornet look like a walk in the park, where system modeling is concerned. Unless they add an option to offload a large part of this on the AI co-pilot, it's going to be a non-starter for many. (Myself included) I avoid modules which require significant interaction with the cockpit or a very large number of bound keys. It is simply too much work in VR. I don't want to use Voice Attack, and removing my hands from the HOTAS to blindly grope for keys and the mouse while trying not to crash is tiresome. 

I will be getting a trackball at some point, so I can use the mouse with my left hand while not moving it away too much from my throttle, but I will still avoid modules where it's a lot of work to simply get your weapons to bear. 

Thats why i am not using VR, and have a semi-psysical simpit, and will during the summer arrange the button-boxes and other devices so the are easy to using with the Apache 🙂

molon-labe-black-header.jpg

I'm just gonna wait for the Valkyrie collective for AH-64, print it and and use that. 🙂 Failing that, I'll try to make do with my HOTAS and those keys I can easily find.

In general, for a proper helo experience, you need a proper collective lever. A desktop throttle will always be a medicore substitute at best.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2021 at 11:59 AM, Lurker said:

I will be getting a trackball at some point, so I can use the mouse with my left hand while not moving it away too much from my throttle

Personally, I use the Kensington Orbit trackball, because it has a scroll ring: using that ring adds to immersion since it mimics turning a knob in the cockpit :wink:

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset