DCS: AH-64D Discussion Thread

falcon_120

1 hour ago, Tom Kazansky said:

For me DCS means: fly something as realistically as you haven't done before. An ED-quality Longbow will certainly be a great challenge and for sure extending my experiences by a huge amount. Day one pre order for me. Have a lot of respect for the efforts and learning curve this beast will demand though. 2 guys VR in a Longbow. ED, you create dreams. Thanks for that!

Pilot and co-pilot in VR will be a BLAST.  Flat screen will be a balst!

• Like 1

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

This is a dream come true for me: I loved Gunship 2000 and Jane's Longbow and I can't wait to have this bird in DCS!

Multiplayer is going to be so much fun as well: 

- Lead scans the entire battlefield and splits the target area in 2, sends half to wingman;

- both ripple fire their AGM-114L Hellfire IIs

=> An entire tank column destroyed in a few seconds.

I can't wait to go after EW radars and SAM sites as well 😄 

• Like 6
Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset

If the apache was the mistery module all along I would be very disappointed, it isn't really "mindmelting". 

It still would be an awesome addition, love any new helo. 

I will nevertheless, eagerly wait about any news on what is the mistery module as I personally feel that it didn't come of as that of a surprise since we already knew a bit that the ah64 (though the a model) was coming. 

Not going to lie but I was really hoping like a lot of folks to finaly see some modern redair annouced. 

Edited by notproplayer3
  • Like 1

Full fidelity su27/mig29 ?

No, they are just the only two that missed the already active thread in the main DCS discussion forum and created their own.

https://forums.eagle.ru/topic/255808-dcs-apache/#comments

Edited by zhukov032186

Де вороги, знайдуться козаки їх перемогти.

5800x3d * 3090 * 64gb * Reverb G2

I can't find it but I swear there was a point where ED said the new "mind-melting" module would be FW rather than RW

It'll please the Rotorheads...but doesn't particularly scream "mainstream" like a single seat FW jet would...

I'd been hoping for a Mig 29A or similar

Fairplay to the RW players...the rest of us have the A7/F8Mirage F1 to look forward to so no complaints

• Like 1

Airbag_signatur.png

1 hour ago, jasonbirder said:

I can't find it but I swear there was a point where ED said the new "mind-melting" module would be FW rather than RW

It'll please the Rotorheads...but doesn't particularly scream "mainstream" like a single seat FW jet would...

Fairplay to the RW players...the rest of us have the A7/F8Mirage F1 to look forward to so no complaints

I'm really not trying to start conspiracy theories but is it possible that the original face melter was supposed to be something else, something completely new that was cancelled or indefinitely postponed for whatever reason and they officially announced the Apache that we knew was coming all along? Considering how openly Wags and Katia talked about the Apache before and how it was teased like a normal module it just seems strange to me that it was a 'secret' all along. I'm really glad to have it but I was expecting a surprise, something we haven't even heard of before. And a few months ago Katia said on Hoggit that she didn't want to talk about the brain melter yet in case it gets cancelled and it would seem like a broken promise and ED don't want that. But at that point Wags had already confirmed that the Apache is a when, not an if. 

• Like 1

• ED Team
1 hour ago, jasonbirder said:

We never really said anything.  And no one module would please 100% of our users, but we feel the Apache will bridge a lot of gaps and be quite popular. Thanks

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

Also tend to think, the mystery module was possibly originally something else and then they decided to go for the "safe" option of the AH-64 for whatever reason.

Doesnt matter anymore.Agree that adding another super complex modern blue force module  is well, debateable , but likely again enough people will shove their credit cards into EDs face without a second thought.

Regards

Snappy

Edited by Snappy

The mind melt is that they made us yammer on for months only to announce that it was really something we already knew about.  Certainly didn’t see that coming.  That said, I’m happy for the rotor heads and excited that I have 80 bucks that I can spend on something else cause I won’t be purchasing.  
Maybe next module will be my speed. 

I9 (5Ghz turbo)2080ti 64Gb 3200 ram. 3 drives. A sata 2tb storage and 2 M.2 drives. 1 is 1tb, 1 is 500gb.

Valve Index, Virpil t50 cm2 stick, t50 base and v3 throttle w mini stick. MFG crosswind pedals.

I need the Apache.  OMG.  First day buy...no matter how many bugs are in it.  Saving up for 3090 RTX....by the time Apache comes out, I shall have it all.

What a trailer!!!!

EA clouds like P3Dv5...very cool

• Like 2

Specs: i7-5820K - 4.4 Ghz OC, 64GB Ram, RTX 2070 Super, Rift S

The Apache will most definitely be a mind blowing DCS module.  I can also say, without reserve, that the beautiful and complex evolution of DCS over the years is such a mind blowing accomplishment that it's worthy of documentaries and cult movies. 

Why are some people in this thread saying otherwise?  I sometimes forget until I witness again the 'invasive species' which has overrun this natural and peaceful aviation forum habitat.  I speak of the Hyena barking things like 'that's not so great, I was hoping for a Cessna' or 'Why not the AH-64A?  I want steam gauges!'

Unfortunately, there remains only two species: 

1. The 'it's not so great' crowd (INSG)

2. People who are wise and mature enough (or more likely high enough) not to get angry with group one 

How do I become part of the INSG crowd?  Fly DCS for so many hours that you no longer have RL friends (and sometimes marriages).  In between flights, come to the forums and overcompensate by putting yourself on display to deny that the very thing that consumed your life... *the only thing* that remains in your life... which still provides you with any sense of joy or accomplishment is... 'not so great'.

Watch this INSG as it goes in for the kill:

"What?!  Shooting a supercarrier catapult in an F-18 DID NOT give me an orgasmic virtual aviation experience worth three times what I paid! (looks around) I've uh.. I've seen better..  ?"

This invasive species has forced the relocation of healthy virtual pilots to other biomes.  However!  If you look closely, there remains a rare and endangered species of virtual pilot so wise and confident in their convictions that they can see through the INSG species and easily ignore their self-flagellations.  Their level of patience is epic!

To better understand this complex ecosystem, view this short clip with Louis C.K. :

Edited by StrongHarm
  • Like 5

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm

Well as a virtual rotor-head since the C-64 days, I just couldn't be happier today!  Helicopter multi-crew and the AH-64D revealed!  Wow!!

I'm a tad surprised (not unhappy) that we'lll get the D version.  Who knows, we may get the A as well?

Multi-crew for the Huey is just fantastic and I'm very happy we got the loadmaster/ gunner stations too.  Cracking multicrew for helicopters is obviously a necessary enabler for the HIND and Apache, but I'm also keen to see it released for the Mi-8.

Thanks ED.  What a classy way to finish off what has been a terrible year.  😀

• Like 4

13 hours ago, Chaz said:

20+ years ago, so many hours in Jane's Longbow/LB2... it has come full circle.  The stars are re-aligning. Thank you Eagle Dynamics.

I remember buying Digital Integration's Front Line Fighters for MS DOS/Windows back in the 1998 with all three F-16, Apache and Hind. The two of them also featured Cyprus and Israel as maps.

So true, the stars are definitely re-aligning ✌️

• Like 3

Intel i7 12700k / Corsair H150i Elite Capellix / Asus TUF Z690 Wifi D4 / Corsair Dominator 32GB 3200Mhz / Corsair HW1000W / 1x Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus 500Gb + 1 Corsair MP600 1TB / ASUS ROG Strix RTX 3080 OC V2 / Fractal Design Meshify 2 / HOTAS Warthog / TFRP Rudder / TrackIR 5 / Dell U2515h 25" Monitor 1440p

13 hours ago, Chaz said:

20+ years ago, so many hours in Jane's Longbow/LB2... it has come full circle.  The stars are re-aligning. Thank you Eagle Dynamics.

I can't believe it, so many years waiting and finally the dream is a reality ..... My first contact with this helicopter was in 1998 with Jane's AH-64D Longbow and when DCS appeared in 2008, I always had in mind that one day I would meet this incredible flying war beast. What I did not imagine was that it would arrive so soon and that has excited me a lot, because so many years waiting and I did not expect it until at least 2023 or 2025.

AH-64D_Longbow_cover.jpg

1997-janes-longbow-.jpg

Edited by purpi
  • Like 8

13 hours ago, amalahama said:

No you can't. You operate pretty much of your sensors through the large TADS display only available in Copilot's cockpit

Your statement contradicts this gentleman: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkH-VqFbcrc at 8:06. So who to believe now? True, the gunner has his extra middle display for targeting, so the cockpits are not identical, but according to this source both stations can do both.

12 hours ago, BioZ said:

Does Apache has any protecting against FOX 1,2 ???

It has a radar warning system as well as an IR jammer called a "disco light". If you are thinking chaffs and flares: I don't know.

8 hours ago, 4cNikola said:

3d model looks very nice and I'm sure it will be fun to fly, but I will not buy this one. I do not need one more modern blue aircraft. They're just expanding red/blue era gap.

well, in the helo realm this looks quite even, Ka50, Mi24, Mi8 vs Ah64, Gazelle, Kiowa, Huey

So now all we have to do is set full clouds from 1000ft to space and all your beloved fixed wings will be useless for A2G 🙂  Helos will rule earth 😅

13 hours ago, jasonbirder said:

Not Sure what is the problem, Kate (ED COO) has confirmed on Russian Discord yesterday, ED can build a Mig-29A clicleable cockpit coming after the Mi-24 Hind P and Ka-50-3.

8 hours ago, StrongHarm said:

The Apache will most definitely be a mind blowing DCS module.  I can also say, without reserve, that the beautiful and complex evolution of DCS over the years is such a mind blowing accomplishment that it's worthy of documentaries and cult movies. 

Why are some people in this thread saying otherwise?  I sometimes forget until I witness again the 'invasive species' which has overrun this natural and peaceful aviation forum habitat.  I speak of the Hyena barking things like 'that's not so great, I was hoping for a Cessna' or 'Why not the AH-64A?  I want steam gauges!'

Unfortunately, there remains only two species: 

1. The 'it's not so great' crowd (INSG)

2. People who are wise and mature enough (or more likely high enough) not to get angry with group one 

How do I become part of the INSG crowd?  Fly DCS for so many hours that you no longer have RL friends (and sometimes marriages).  In between flights, come to the forums and overcompensate by putting yourself on display to deny that the very thing that consumed your life... *the only thing* that remains in your life... which still provides you with any sense of joy or accomplishment is... 'not so great'.

Watch this INSG as it goes in for the kill:

"What?!  Shooting a supercarrier catapult in an F-18 DID NOT give me an orgasmic virtual aviation experience worth three times what I paid! (looks around) I've uh.. I've seen better..  ?"

This invasive species has forced the relocation of healthy virtual pilots to other biomes.  However!  If you look closely, there remains a rare and endangered species of virtual pilot so wise and confident in their convictions that they can see through the INSG species and easily ignore their self-flagellations.  Their level of patience is epic!

To better understand this complex ecosystem, view this short clip with Louis C.K. :

Well, feel as superior as you want, but the thread was started with „your thoughts ladies and gentlemen“ and not „lets all cheer and stoke the hype train“.

If you really think your  group 1 is the only reason why there are „other“ comments is this thread , well then go on living in your simplified happy bubble by all means.

Your „healthy“ pilot group can‘t be too healthy a species if it can‘t handle differing opinions. Some people are just underwhelmed by this module for multiple reasons and the thread asked for thoughts , not pure fanboyism. If you can‘t even have a discussion or unpopular opinion here without being classed a some defective subgroup, whats the use of a forum?

Anyway this is a lost cause,why am I even writing this..?

Edited by Snappy
  • Like 1

Not Sure what is the problem, Kate (ED COO) has confirmed on Russian Discord yesterday, ED can build a Mig-29A clicleable cockpit coming after the Mi-24 Hind P and Ka-50-3.

No problem at all...I've a stack of modules here that I haven't had chance to get competent with...enough to last me a LONG time (and as I said plenty of 3rd Party modules to look forward to...

I just pointed out that from a Commercial point of view Helicopters are pretty "niche" in terms of their Player-base/Purchase numbers even more so if you think the Apache (given the different front-seat/back-seat layouts and substantially differntiated Pilot/Gunner roles) looks like it'll be MP only - I don't know enough about the Hind and the workload split to comment as to whether thats an option for SP...

If as is used for "justification" for the Early Access model ED is dependent on the revenue "spikes" from new module releases - given that 2021 looks like a focus on Warbirds (Mozzie) Rotarywing (Hind) and Rotary WIng/MP only (Apache) is that enough to keep them going at the current level - given they're all likely to be lower sellers than AAA modules like the A10/F16/F/A18 etc...

Airbag_signatur.png

This is the Flaming Cliffs non-click cockpit Apache Longbow right?

Just kidding 🙂

Can't wait for this thing. Apache Longbow AH-64D is THE helicopter of helicopters. If you aren't excited, you need to know more about the Apache 🙂

I'm actually glad it's potentially years away before fully complete, because it'll take me that long to get some worthwhile controls and simpit together. Komodo we need some new controllers please!

Edited by TomOnSteam

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode