DCS: AH-64D Discussion Thread

falcon_120

I didn't dare hope. But now you've done it. I thank you. MEGA!

• Like 1

System Specs: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, RX 6900 XT, 64GB RAM // Tobsen CM Kollektiv, VPC CM3 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Rudder Pedals, VPC T-50 CM2 + WarBRD Base  VR: HP Reverb G2

Helis: UH-1H / KA-50 3 / Mi-8 / Mi-24P / SA-342 / AH-64D  Jets: F-5E / F-14A/B / F/A-18C / MC-2000 / A-10C II / AV-8B / AJS 37 / MIG-21bis  / F-16C / F-15E / F-4E (soon)  WWII: Spitfire / WWII Assets Pack

Tech.: Combined Arms / NS430 / Supercarrier   Maps:  Nevada / Persian Gulf / Normandie / Syria / South Atlantic  Waiting for:  BO-105 / OH 58D / CH-47 Chinook / G.91R / Tornado IDS / A-7E Corsair II

Apache is amazing news! Also, please tell me they’re the actual clouds that we’ll get and not for show just for the video?

i7 8700k @ 5.0ghz. Strix GTX1080Ti. 32GB RAM @ 3600. 2x Hyper X SSD’s with DCS on one. Oculus Rift S. Asus PG278-QR. Liquid Series PC with liquid CPU and GPU cooling.

12 minutes ago, Belphe said:

How far are you with building the module? Is it 2021 or rather "beyond"...?

Of course I am no ED employee but let me give you my guess on the current state of development: Negotiations with Boeing progressed far enough to be able to be confident a DCS AH-64D is viable. Research on available technical information has been made and probably maybe even support by Boeing has been agreed upon. All of this is part of development, but often overlooked.

And of what people usually consider development:

3D modelling: 1% (the current AI model available in game, as a basis for some proper, detailed modelling)

systems: 0%

flight model: 30% (some knowledge and good flight models available from other modules (looking at you, Mi8) that need re-parametrization to fit the Ah64)

Come on guys, it's a teaser and wonderful news for me as a rotor head. But I expect 2+ years to go by before there is anything in EA. And that is ok. This is no WWII bird with next to no systems and all data available openly. This thing is f**in' complex.

• Like 1

I always hoped to get Cobra first, as I felt like they may not be inclined to do it at all, or do it way down the line if Apache comes. But honestly, I'm fine with Apache regardless. Cool helicopter, and should give us a lot to do with it.

An AH-1W or F would be a quite analogous playmate for Mi-24P but, AH-64D would be the perfect teammate with OH-58D anyway. More helos, the better, looks like we rotor-lovers have quite a few things to look forward to. Still hope we'll eventually get the Cobras too though.

• Like 2

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

17 minutes ago, Donglr said:

Come on guys, it's a teaser and wonderful news for me as a rotor head. But I expect 2+ years to go by before there is anything in EA. And that is ok. This is no WWII bird with next to no systems and all data available openly. This thing is f**in' complex.

I think (hope) you're being a bit overly pessimistic with the 2+ years. Wasn't the Viper released the year they teased it in the end of year video? They've also been hinting at this for a while now, certainly if this is the 'mystery aircraft' they were talking about at the start of the year.

I really don't see why they would include it in the video if it was 2+ years away, just seems like it would be a stupid thing to do. They didn't do it with the Hind.

• Like 1

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

Well, that depends when they decide put it in EA. Viper, in many peoples' opinion, came out far too early. I didn't get it at release (though fairly close, the pandemic sale had a 50% discount that modules this new usually don't get and I couldn't resist 🙂), but even when I did, it was barely good for anything. It's better now, but it'll be a while before it's there. 

Got goosebumps when I saw the gun. I'm no rotohead so far. I guess this will change. Gunship on C-64 was my first "sim". Great announcement and Hollywood style introduced.

• Like 2

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus, 64GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4-3600 CL16, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4080 OC, Windows 10 64bit Home Premium, TrackIR 5 with TrackClip: Pro!, Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base + TM Warthog Stick + 7cm extension + WINWING Orion 2 with F-15EX grips, Cougar MFDs with 8" displays, Saitek Rudder Pedals, Samsung Odyssey G9 49" 5120x1440 @120 Hz

1 hour ago, Chaz said:

20+ years ago, so many hours in Jane's Longbow/LB2... it has come full circle.  The stars are re-aligning. Thank you Eagle Dynamics.

Yes, I remember Jane's Longbow/LB2 very well,  still have those disc 🙂. This will be a welcome addition for the rotor heads and a real game changer.

Edited by Outlaw24
  • Like 3

Spoiler:

MSI Z790 Carbon WIFI, i9 14900KF, 64GB DDR4, MSI RTX 4090, Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle, VKB Gunfighter Ultimate MCG Pro w/200mm Extension, Winwing Orion Rudder Pedals W/damper, UTC MK II Pro, Virpil TCS Plus Collective, Dell AW3418DW Gsync monitor, 970 Pro M2 1TB (for DCS), Playseat Air Force Seat, KW-980 Jetseat, Vaicom Pro, 3X TM Cougar with Lilliput 8" screens. Tek Creations panels and controllers.

I am sure this will make a lot of people happy, this is clearly one of the remaining "big ones" of 90s sim fame. Personally I feel pretty indifferent about it, another flying computer. I had hopes that it would at least have been a steam gauges AH-64A.

• Like 4

This makes it five EA products. It will more than likely be the helo version of the Hornet/Viper release debacle just this time it will be Hind/Apache.  They didn't even wait until the Hind's release like they did with the Hornet.

Edited by Thump

38 minutes ago, LooseSeal said:

I think (hope) you're being a bit overly pessimistic with the 2+ years. Wasn't the Viper released the year they teased it in the end of year video? They've also been hinting at this for a while now, certainly if this is the 'mystery aircraft' they were talking about at the start of the year.

I really don't see why they would include it in the video if it was 2+ years away, just seems like it would be a stupid thing to do. They didn't do it with the Hind.

True it was, BUT look at the state of the viper on release.   It was rushed out far to early.

personally I say let’s give them the time, no moaning, no pestering, no calls for release now when they show it off in vids.   Let’s just sit back and wait, I have to agree I do expect 2 years ish myself. 

but so long as it’s done right, I don’t care.

• Thanks 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Fighter pilots make movies, Attack pilots make history, Helicopter pilots make heros.

:pilotfly: Corsair 570x Crystal Case, Intel 8700K O/clocked to 4.8ghz, 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 3200 MHZ Ram, 2 x 1TB M2 drives, 2 x 4TB Hard Drives, Nvidia EVGA GTX 1080ti FTW, Maximus x Hero MB, H150i Cooler, 6 x Corsair LL120 RGB Fans And a bloody awful Pilot :doh:

1 hour ago, falcon_120 said:

So, question for those who may know. Can the AH64 be operated from the pilot position? Obviusly much better with a copilot but i'm interested to know

No you can't. You operate pretty much of your sensors through the large TADS display only available in Copilot's cockpit

Edited by amalahama

AH-64x is a day one pre-order for me.  been flying some form of the Apache since Micorprose(R) Gunship, Gunship 2000, Jane's Longbow, and longbow 2.  Got the Ka-50 in 2008 and remember when the AH-64A was part of planned releases way back when.

One question.  Is there official conformation o that it is the AJH-64 AND that it is the D besides the video.  Did ED state somewhere that the video would announce the "secret" module?

• Like 1

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

It's been a couple of hours. I can't believe this hasn't blown up yet!

Early Access being what it is means that a truly functional version is still a long way off. So, I'm tempering my excitement. But, it's great to know that it's in the pipe!

Keep pushing that bar ED! Make the magic happen! 🙂

Still holding out hope for a Whiskey Cobra one day and the I-can't-believe-they-haven't-done-it-yet P-38J. However, seeing the Apache really does take the sting out of the other two 😉

Edited by JLX
typos
  • Like 3

3570K w/ 16GB, 1070 w/ 8GB @ 1440p, VKB Gunfighter/MCG-Pro & T-Rudder Mk.IV, CH ProThrottle, TrackIR 5, HTC Vive, UniversRadio, VoiceAttack, TacView Pro, DCS Menu Nav

F/A-18C, F-5E, F-86F, A-10C, AV-8B, AJS-37, MiG-21bis, MiG-15bis, UH-1H, Mi-8MTV2, Ka-50, SA342, P-51D, Spitfire Mk.IX, Bf109, Fw190, FC3, CA, Persian Gulf, NTTR, Normandy, WW2 Assets

53 minutes ago, Thump said:

This makes it five EA products. It will more than likely be the helo version of the Hornet/Viper release debacle just this time it will be Hind/Apache.  They didn't even wait until the Hind's release like they did with the Hornet.

While true, I tend to look at it as I have something  to fly.  Do they have issues?  Yes!  Did I pay a beta?  Yes.  Does that make me a ED/DCS "fanboy"  Who knows, I AM a fanboy of flight sims PERIOD.  DCS, X-Plane 11, Battle of Stalingrad, Flying Circus, MSFS 202, and Falcon 4 BMS.  Does this mean I'm a good pilot?  Oh h#$l no!

Edited by AKA_Clutter
  • Like 1

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Win 10 Pro, Intel i7 8700k @4.6 GHz, EVGA RTX 3080  FTW, Ultra 64 GB G.Skill DDR4 3600 RAM, Acer 27" flat screen, Oculus Rift S, HP Reverb G2, CH Fighterstick, Pro Throttle and Pro Rudder Pedals HOTAS, TM Warthog HOTAS, MFG Rudder Pedals, TrackIR 5 Pro w/Vector Expansion, PointCTRL.

For me DCS means: fly something as realistically as you haven't done before. An ED-quality Longbow will certainly be a great challenge and for sure extending my experiences by a huge amount. Day one pre order for me. Have a lot of respect for the efforts and learning curve this beast will demand though. 2 guys VR in a Longbow. ED, you create dreams. Thanks for that!

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AKA_Clutter said:

While true, I tend to look at it as I have something  to fly.  Do they have issues?  Yes!  Did I pay a beta?  Yes.  Does that make me a ED/DCS "fanboy"  Who knows, I AM a fanboy of flight sims PERIOD.  DCS, X-Plane 11, Battle of Stalingrad, Flying Circus, MSFS 202, and Falcon 4 BMS.  Does this mean I'm a good pilot?  Oh h#$l no!

By no means is it an indictment of those who want to buy into their EA process.  I've bought the Hornet and A-10C II, so throwing stones would only shatter my own house.  It is my expectation as to the probable quality of both the Hind and Apache at release and how long it will be until meaningful progress will be made.  If the Hornet/Viper have taught us anything (along with weather and ATC systems, FY2016 promises), these will release severely underbaked (invulnerable Viper) and progress will be even slower than is currently being made (Hog 2.0 ARC-210 nowhere in sight afaik).  

So are you the only two that saw that Apache at the end of the video?

OS: Windows 10 64bit / MB: MSI Gamers Edge /CPU:Intel CORE I5 9600K @ 4.5 GHz/ RAM: 32 GB / Gfx: Geforce 980 GTX TI x2 in SLI /Drives:1 970 NVMe & 2x SSD RAID 0 /Joystick: Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog/ TrackIR 5/Saitek Rudder

No you can't. You operate pretty much of your sensors through the large TADS display only available in Copilot's cockpit
Thanks! It will be interesting to see if it will have some kind of jester or autopilot allowing to stay for example in a hover while employing weapons

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, falcon_120 said:

Thanks! It will be interesting to see if it will have some kind of jester or autopilot allowing to stay for example in a hover while employing weapons

Enviado desde mi ELE-L29 mediante Tapatalk

That and this will be another great opportunity for VAICOM to develop an extension for the Apache like they did for the F-14 AI RIO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thump said:

By no means is it an indictment of those who want to buy into their EA process.  I've bought the Hornet and A-10C II, so throwing stones would only shatter my own house.  It is my expectation as to the probable quality of both the Hind and Apache at release and how long it will be until meaningful progress will be made.  If the Hornet/Viper have taught us anything (along with weather and ATC systems, FY2016 promises), these will release severely underbaked (invulnerable Viper) and progress will be even slower than is currently being made (Hog 2.0 ARC-210 nowhere in sight afaik).  

I don't and can't disagree.  Fly for fun!

----------------

AKA_Clutter

Uh oh!

On 1/24/2018 at 4:15 PM, StrongHarm said:

... The notion does put a fear in me though. I will, very likely, lose my job and my marriage if ED puts out an Apache module.

It's a good thing that this is Early Access and we've all volunteered to help test and enhance this work in progress... despite the frustrations inherent in the task with even the simplest of software... otherwise people might not understand that this incredibly complex unfinished module is unfinished. /light-hearted sarcasm