F-15 Refueling

Would someone be kind enough to post a training track that focuses on the refueling of the F-15. I can't seem to get it done. I can do the Flanker, but not the Eagle. Or at least point me to one. Hey, look at this way...It'll keep you busy until you know what gets here. Thanks.

First of all, the boom goes behind you, on the left side. You'll see a counter on your hud, upper left corner - it counts the 3D distance form the boom. you must get this within 1 foot fo the boom to hook up.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

• 11 months later...

Refueling the F15

Would someone be kind enough to post a training track that focuses on the refueling of the F-15. I can't seem to get it done. I can do the Flanker, but not the Eagle. Or at least point me to one. Hey, look at this way...It'll keep you busy until you know what gets here. Thanks.

Could someone tell me how initiate the refueling process for the F15? I need a little help finding a mission that will let me practice refueling. Thanks to anyone that helps me in advance.

Gigler

I can do the Flanker, but not the Eagle.

If you have 1.11, the flanker is much more harder than the Eagle. If you could do that then the eagle is easy. Just slowly approach the tanker and somehow the plane will move by itself to connect.

need a little help finding a mission that will let me practice refueling. Thanks to anyone that helps me in advance.

You can always create your own mission. Set up a tanker and yourself, and maybe even an Awacs and just set waypoints to fly a big straight line. You have all the time in the world to practice in.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 3 weeks later...

A/R airspeed and crazy Tanker pilots

One of the things I wish they'd fix is the air refueling airspeed in the F-15. 220KIAS might be great for the A-10, but it's way too slow for the F-15. Hopefully in the future they'll let us fly the aircraft while in contact and increase the AR airspeed for the F-15 up to 315Kts, where it belongs.

The other thing is the hard turns made by the tanker. I understand that fighterpilot AI flys the thing, but 45 degrees of bank and hard turns and descents aren't healthy for an aircraft of >300,000Lbs. If those turns can be smoothed out to 30 degrees and an actual orbit flown. that'd solve many problems too.

• 4 weeks later...
One of the things I wish they'd fix is the air refueling airspeed in the F-15. 220KIAS might be great for the A-10, but it's way too slow for the F-15. Hopefully in the future they'll let us fly the aircraft while in contact and increase the AR airspeed for the F-15 up to 315Kts, where it belongs.

The other thing is the hard turns made by the tanker. I understand that fighterpilot AI flys the thing, but 45 degrees of bank and hard turns and descents aren't healthy for an aircraft of >300,000Lbs. If those turns can be smoothed out to 30 degrees and an actual orbit flown. that'd solve many problems too.

You know that you can change the speed of the tanker right? If you make your own mission dont put it to 500 kmh but rather to 600-650, thats good for the F-15, thats above 300 knots IAS ;)

Flip

flipphantom1.jpg

You know that you can change the speed of the tanker right? If you make your own mission dont put it to 500 kmh but rather to 600-650, thats good for the F-15, thats above 300 knots IAS ;)

Flip

Oh yeah, i know... but after placing 42 or so waypoints for refueling instead of using the "Begin Loop" & "End Loop" waypoints and trying to calculate the turn radius of the KC-10 at 315KIAS at 20,000 ft, and placing the turn points, etc, it's still porked... :icon_evil

Once i've got that sorted, then it's dealing with an AI pilot who flys the tanker like a fighter pilot. Oh, i hate it when the autopilot engages and you cruise through the contact position and right into the tanker, or the tanker goes into a turn and your autopilot keeps you straight & level. :mad:

I still like LOMAC above all because it's still the closest thing to experiencing the real thing that i've found. :D

Oh yeah, i know... but after placing 42 or so waypoints for refueling instead of using the "Begin Loop" & "End Loop" waypoints and trying to calculate the turn radius of the KC-10 at 315KIAS at 20,000 ft, and placing the turn points, etc, it's still porked... :icon_evil

Once i've got that sorted, then it's dealing with an AI pilot who flys the tanker like a fighter pilot. Oh, i hate it when the autopilot engages and you cruise through the contact position and right into the tanker, or the tanker goes into a turn and your autopilot keeps you straight & level. :mad:

I still like LOMAC above all because it's still the closest thing to experiencing the real thing that i've found. :D

So why do you think that a default speed of 315kts will be better?

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

So why do you think that a default speed of 315kts will be better?

So why do you think that the F-15 has a waiver to fly 300Kts below 10,000ft? The aircraft - any pointy aircraft (F-16, F-18, IDS Tornado, T-38 even) has limited ability to turn hard at slow airspeeds. There's not enough G available to move out of the way of something at slow speed. Oh, BTW, have you ever seen someone refueling in an F-15 behind a tanker going 220Kts? The tanker (especially a KC-10) would have it's flaps down to maintain that airspeed, and the F-15 would have a nose up attitude of 7-9 degrees just to maintain level flight. There's no way to maneuver effectively in an aircraft with small wings at 220Kts. Oh, one more thing - when a tanker refuels any aircraft, there's a set airspeed for that type of fighter. The refueling airspeed for an F-15 is 315Kts, overrun 335Kts (overrun airspeed is used for a point parallel rendezvous done by the tanker). IRL the tanker usually flys an anchor and fighters rejoin by "fighter-turn-on" rendezvous.

Just a little RL comment, in OIF heavily armed F-15Es had to use afterburner to stay on the boom when the tankers had to fly above bad weather. The rate rate at which they were burning fuel and recieving must have been mad. Tankers pump fuel at 3,000lbs per min down the boom for fighters.

Not sure the tanker can go that fast, heh... just throw some flaps down and you can do it!

All tankers can fly that fast - with the exception of the KC-130 (but we receptacle equipped types don't care about them). The KC-10, KC-135 can fly 315Kts at altitudes greater than 22,000ft. IMN (indicated mach number) is the limiting factor.

However, i've never seen a tanker or a tanker pilot willing to do a 45-60 degree bank level turn at 220 kts. Now that's a recipe for an accelerated stall. Rapid roll rates and roll reversals are also ways to make the engine pods depart the aircraft-a 4-engine KC-135 becomes a 2-engine aircraft quite quickly.

Cherokee,

I started working on a refueling tutorial for the F-15 a few nights ago (finally decided to venture into the F-15 pit and wanted to start with something manageable). I'm not working tomorrow and, hopefully, will have time to finish it off.

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I don't get your point, the default speed for all fixed wing aircraft in lomac is 500 km/h, so you want that only that tankers will have a different default speed? Why complaining, if you can set the deisred speed, even 900 km/h if you like for the tanker at waypoint 0 (or 1 if it takes off from a runway)? Why all the 315kts whining? All the aircraft start at 500 km/h, be it an A-10 or a Mig-25PD. Just set your speed in the editor and enjoy the refueling process.

Creedence Clearwater Revival:worthy:

Workin on that 10 minutes of F15 time, eh Ironhand :p

I'm taking baby steps. Old dog. New tricks.

I still think the pit's ugly, though. :)

Rich

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

I don't get your point, the default speed for all fixed wing aircraft in lomac is 500 km/h, so you want that only that tankers will have a different default speed? Why complaining, if you can set the deisred speed, even 900 km/h if you like for the tanker at waypoint 0 (or 1 if it takes off from a runway)? Why all the 315kts whining? All the aircraft start at 500 km/h, be it an A-10 or a Mig-25PD. Just set your speed in the editor and enjoy the refueling process.

Well, you got me there! I'm overwhelmed by the logic of your post. I shall now enjoy the refueling process with my 42 waypoints to keep the tanker flying at the airspeed I want. Thanks! :icon_jook

Oh, I could care less what's the default airspeed for any of the aircraft. For all I care you can fly the Black Shark with a default airspeed of 900kph. :p I'm talking about what's done IRL vs what's done in the land of the KC-10 that can pull a 45degree banked turn at "500kph".:icon_toil

• 2 months later...
Well, you got me there! I'm overwhelmed by the logic of your post. I shall now enjoy the refueling process with my 42 waypoints to keep the tanker flying at the airspeed I want. Thanks! :icon_jook

Sorry if this is a silly question - was that sarcasm, or did it really solve the problem? I can't tell.

If the problem is with the speed of the tanker, then just set its speed in the Mission Editor, sure. I don't understand what that has to do with 42 waypoints? You can set an aircraft's speed between two waypoints.

If the problem is with the tanker AI bank angle or turning radius, then that's more complicated, but I don't understand why to complain about its speed. :confused:

-SK

Oh, I could care less what's the default airspeed for any of the aircraft. For all I care you can fly the Black Shark with a default airspeed of 900kph. :p I'm talking about what's done IRL vs what's done in the land of the KC-10 that can pull a 45degree banked turn at "500kph".:icon_toil

Right. You're talking about a known and annoying AI issue - why all the sarcasm? ;)

Planes need to turn at a reasonable rate for their configuration/weight/limitations and they do not, ie. big planes turn like fighters and especially make exaggerated maneuvers at speeds they should not be ...

Anyway, it is being looked at but the usual disclaimer here: No promises.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda