DCS from 256Gb SSD to 500GB SSD

OK...tech problem here...my PC currently has 2 SSDs (both 256GB...they seemed big at the time) One with my WIndows Install/Productivity programmes etc and one thats DCS dedicated (and nearly full!)

The last patch is going to overflow my 256GB SSD...so I need to upgrade to 500GB (not a massive problem they're pretty cheap now)

Here's the logic problem...How do I copy my DCS install onto a new SSD when I only have 2 slots (both occupied) and not enough room on my C:Drive to copy my F:Drive (DCS install) while I swap out the other SSD

Any advice appreciated!

Airbag_signatur.png

Are your current SSD drives NVME or SATA? 

If you are limited to 2 NVME drives by your MB, you could get a SATA SSD (again, if your MB supports it).  Alternatively, you could clone your DCS drive onto an external HDD, then when you swap your current DCS SSD with the 500GB SSD, clone the image from the HDD back to the new SSD.  I don't think you will see a significant change in performance by using SATA vs. NVME.  The big difference is going from HDD to SSD in general.

For cloning software, I have used EaseUS to clone my instance of DCS to a new, larger SSD several times with no issues.  I am sure there are other good cloning tools that can also do the job.  Once I cloned my drive, I just changed the target path of the DCS executable on my desktop shortcut and it never skipped a beat.

SATA to USB adapter. They are great...easy..and will make your old drive an external drive any time you want.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7WDZGT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Hrl3FbPJJ1AM9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

By the way...might spring for a 1gb ssd while you're at it.  Have seen them under $100 lately. 

Intel 8700K, delidded at 5.1 ghz, Asrock z370 Extreme4, 32gb DDR4 3200, MSI Ventus RTX 3080, triple 1440p Dell s2716dg screens, VKB Gunfighter Mk.I, Virpil M50-CM2 throttle, MFG Crosswind pedals.

You might have enough space on the C drive to copy an image of the DCS install. You can also temporarily free some space on the DCS drive by uninstalling a map or 2, then reinstall them after migrating to new SSD

Edited by Habu_69

23 hours ago, manashttu said:

SATA to USB adapter. They are great...easy..and will make your old drive an external drive any time you want.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07F7WDZGT/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fabc_Hrl3FbPJJ1AM9?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

By the way...might spring for a 1gb ssd while you're at it.  Have seen them under $100 lately. 

I never even thought of that! That's a great idea.

I want to swap my 500GB Crucial C drive for a 1TB Samsung (which has excellent cloning software, I've used it before) and I thought I'd have to buy the adapter and the SSD, do the swap, and then my 500GB Crucial would sit in a box unused with the adapter. I never considered using it as an external HD.

You da man! :drinks_cheers:

Some of the planes, but all of the maps!

Does your motherboard have a M2 slot?

maxresdefault.jpg

The M2 buses are a LOT faster than SATA, a relatively cheap M2 SSD will run circles around your other drives.

I have a SAMSUNG V-NAND 500GB 970 EVO PLUS SSD, it runs at up to 3500 MB/s and I had it for £99.99, compared to the last SATA I purchased from the same provider, a  Silicon Power 240GB SATA III SSD S55 costing  £72.95, running at 560MB/s.

Consider the option but also the fact that on some motherboards like mine, you'll loose one or two SATA slots by using one of those, so it is worth buying a larger capacity one, like I did, and I still have room for 2 more SATA SSD, all in all bang for buck this is by far the best solution when you're running out of storage space.

970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 500GB

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

You should buy the Samsung KIT and not the SSD drive alone. The KIT comes with an EXCELLENT USB-3.0 adapter that I use myself. It's only a few € more but you will get an adapter that is well made and does work as intended. It works with any 2.5" drive, HDD or SSD, that I have tested it with and that have been quite a few over the last years.

Check the online offers for the Kit "with" the Adapter included, they are available.

* They are called "Starter Kit", those have the USB adapter enclosed, Amazon has them btw.

Edited by BitMaster

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

• 2 weeks later...

I have several different ssd units in a couple computers. One of my ssd is from SP, Silicon Power, and it died, still under 3 year warranty. I have gone to Hynix and Samsung. Tired of the cheap ssd units, they just do not last. To anyone that starts buying and installing SSD, go with the best you can get, as when they quit working, the trouble isn't worth trying to save money. I looked online to see if other people have issues with some of the ssd brands, and they al seem to point out that the cheap ones are breaking in a short amount of time. I had two brands fail. Pioneer (they fixed their problem, but only after a lot of people got burned. My SP brand have not gotten back to me with an RMA. While the companies that sell SSD units often sell software (or give it with the purchase to clone other drives), it maybe worth investing in some more software that does drive work, cloning, partitioning, etc. but it is not cheap, and they have sales, but sometimes, you have to choose a yearly license update, or a lifetime update (but these often only install in one computer and cannot be moved to another computer. They have us by the hairs.

ASUS Strix Z790-H, i9-13900, WartHog HOTAS and MFG Crosswind

G.Skill 64 GB Ram, 2TB SSD

EVGA Nvidia RTX 2080-TI

55" Sony OLED TV, Oculus VR