F-16 Agm-65 Maverick crosshair disappearing with 0x MSAA

Shiny

• ED Team

Hi

The Mav is in break lock mode (probably tried to lock outside of max range). Make the page SOI and TMS Aft should help

thanks

• Thanks 1

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

Hi Bignewy,

Thanks for jumping in. So here's what I did: (OBS capture via Oculus mirror: https://drive.google.com/file/d/19te...ew?usp=sharing)

- Air start with 6x AGM65-D, 3 on each wing

- Set the Mavericks for VIS mode

- In the WPN tab, I press TMS down short, and the 'Not SOI' appears and the FoV of the Maverick moves up. I do this a couple of times in the 35 second mark of the video and at around 52 seconds. Still I'm unable to see the proper symbology.

- Then at around 55 seconds, I pretend that there is maverick symbology and put the center of the view over a transmission line and press TMS up short. This actually forces the maverick to lock and I am able to release it.

- Rinse and repeat at 1:10 in the video

- Both mavericks strike true

Thanks,

Shiny

I'm unsure if this is directly related, but VIS mode is intended to be used by designating a target point first with the HUD, and then use the WPN page.

A VIS delivery should look like:

Slew TD box in HUD over target area, press TMS Up.

SOI automatically changes to WPN page.

Slew Maverick crosshairs over target, press TMS Up.

Weapon Release.

That's why TMS Down is always making SOI jump back to the HUD.

What you're doing would be better accomplished in BORE mode.

Ok, I reloaded DCS again, and this time when I logged in, the crosshairs showed up right away:

- Air start viper

- Click on Air to Ground mode

- Left MFD to WPN (the mavericks are in VIS by default)

- The crosshairs appeared without me touching anything

I have no idea what changed, but it's working now. So I'm scratching my head. Thanks everyone though.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

No, it isn't a bug. It is break lock mode. It is happening when the pilot tries to lock the maverick beyond the missile effective range and when the ir/contrast condition is not met.
You should use tms-dn command to out this mode.

Best regards,

Edited by falconbr

That’s what I thought so I tested it quickly, in break lock mode the cross hairs expand but do not disappear. I can see the elevation markers on the OPs screen shot but can’t pick out the cross hairs at all?

could you repost using the black symbology? I think it’s TMS left? Or change to TV or Bhot 

I was actually referring to the long horizontal and vertical line that meets in the middle of the display in wpn mode.

As an example from Grim Reapers' tutorial on the Maverick, once his maverick is powered up, his display is normal with the 3 small horizontal bars, and the large central.

As shown in my screenshot, my display only shows 2 small horizontal bars and there are no long vertical and horizontal line to tell me where the center is at.

if you haven’t tried it already, give this a go. 

Go to the DCS folder (or DCS.openbeta if you’re flying the beta) within “Saved Games” which is inside your user files folder.

Find the the two folders “fxo” and “Metashaders” (or Metashaders2) and delete both of them. Next time you launch the sim it will create them again, they are just caching folders and should be deleted with every update to avoid weird issues.

Next time you launch the sim it will take a little bit longer to load as it recreates these folders.

let me know if that has any effect.

image.jpeg

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

• Wags changed the title to [INCLUDE A TRACK FILE, CANNOT REPRODUCE] No Maverick Crosshairs

I suggest uninstalling the F-16 and redownloading it.

Go to the module manager inside DCS, go to the installed tab and then hit the trash can next to the F-16 row to uninstall it.

let it do its thing and then once uninstalled restart DCS and then come back into the module manager, find the F-16 and reinstall. You should keep all your keybinds and mapping etc. I presume you aren’t using any mods for things like MFD readability or brightness that have been released in the past? If so I recommend removing those as they tend to break things with updates.

let me know how you get on.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Hmm, I can't see that would make any difference.

Next thing I suggest you try is renaming your whole DCS folder within saved games. Add OLD or BACKUP to the end of the name so DCS will no longer see it (So DSC.openbetaOLD for instance) this will force DCS to create a new one from scratch during the next startup. This will allow you to test and see if there is anything in the old folder that is causing your problem. If it doesn't change anything you can delete the new folder and rename the old one back and it will go back to exactly as it was.

Your graphics settings and keybinds are in the old folder so I'd just leave it on default graphics and quickly set some basic F-16 controls to at least allow you to test the mavericks.

If with the new folder the Mavericks work as expected then there is something in the old folder causing the problem, but we can cross that bridge when we come to it.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

Crosshair finally working as suggested.

Looks like the problem Does have something to do with the files in the old folder.

Now I just have to transfer the entire config folder from the old file to the new.

edit: when I transfer the entire config files, the crosshair disappear. It looks like the source is from the config folder.

Screen_201217_113835.png

Edited by macrossMX

46 minutes ago, macrossMX said:

edit: when I transfer the entire config files, the crosshair disappear. It looks like the source is from the config folder.

My best guess would be some borked graphics setting which is in the config folder,  try deleting the options.lua inside the config folder and see if the crosshair comes back. If that works then you'll just have to manually go through and set your graphics options again inside DCS.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of:

It finally works. I only copied my keybinds and reapply the graphic settings, and the cross hairs returned.

But at least I got it right that the issue must be in the config folder. It is likely my graphic settings which caused the crosshair to disappear, or some other file.

Awesome. Glad you got it working!

Those above steps have usually sorted out any of my random issues over the years. I think refreshing the options.lua every now and again isn’t a bad idea as sometimes you don’t even realise you have an issue.

Last time I did it I got a nice FPS boost and buildings etc started being visible from a lot further away, even though I had selected the same setting in the graphics menu. No idea what changed but it definitely helped.

Proud owner of: