TAW_Keris

Hey

Great job on the update tho. But do you have plans on making custom RWR sounds based on what is acquiring a lock on the Viper? Like custom SA-2 lock sound. Plus, the current RWR Launch Tone is quite distracting tbh when you are busy evading and it keeps beeping. 

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

Where did you hear we are getting a sam module?  All I saw where people saying it would be cool if they make one,  but not a word from dcs.

Also some of the planes already do that rwr sound thing based on the freq so I think it can be expected that if it is sposed to be that way irl we will see it soon™

14 hours ago, Desert Fox said:

Controversial question: how is the RWR sound in the Viper we got in DCS (2007 USAF/NG F-16CM Block 50)?

From reliable sources, not gut feeling.

Asking for a friend.

RWR sounds are classified. Only a couple are declassified i believe the Launchwarning sound and SA-2 is declassified.

13 minutes ago, llOPPOTATOll said:

90% sure that doesnt work anymore and it isnt authentic sounds from the viper because thats classified.

There are only really 3-4 main tones, that we have already (IIRC new contact/position update (single beep), mode change/high priority contact (2 beeps), STT (continuous chirping sound) and launch (alarm tone)). In handoff mode (diamond illuminated on switch) the RWR plays raw PRF audio of the highest priority (diamond) contact - this is pretty standard across the majority of these RWRs, and you can even hear the tones in various HUD tapes.

And I have no idea why the particular noise the RWR makes in whatever mode would be classified at all - it's like making the master caution or voice warnings classified.

Edited by Northstar98

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

5 minutes ago, llOPPOTATOll said:

Because IRL the RWR makes different noises depending on whats locking you. But there are different versions of each sam system and we dont want the enemy to know if we can or cannot tell the difference between them.

Why not? And if these emitters use different PRFs then of course you'll be able to differentiate them - even RWRs older than the ALR-56M will do that. In the diamond float mode the RWR plays a raw PRF tone of the highest priority contact (as well as other modes as selected by the handoff button)

At the end of the day, these tones are purely an aid to the pilot, just like any other audible warning tone. But as far as differentiation goes, if it's using a different PRF or mode, or waveform, then you can absolutely tell the difference, even if the RADAR comes as unknown - this should be pretty trivial for basically every RWR past the 80s.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 3

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

5 minutes ago, Northstar98 said:

Why not? And if these emitters use different PRFs then of course you'll be able to differentiate them - even RWRs older than the ALR-56M will do that.

At the end of the day, these tones are purely an aid to the pilot, just like any other audible warning tone.

On 1/2/2021 at 1:26 AM, Peter5on said:

This mod (RAE - RWR AUDIO EXPANSION) have authentic sounds of all contacts for F-16 RWR. ED should contact him and use he's sounds to make it quicker.

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/421081/

I think i used this before even modded the RWR sounds, before ED decided to encrypt the sound files to protect their files.

• 1 month later...

realistic audio can be made.. You just need someone who understands Radar theory.. 

Below is a highly authentic Radar tone I made of an APQ-153, using the radar's parameters found online via an NASA document. 

I've also made 'generic' tones (where the specific radar parameters are unavailable) using my extensive knowledge of radar waveforms and modulation types (MPRF dwell and switching, LPRF Jitters, etc). 

In the post below was me describing some issues with the Viggen's RWR sounds. But at the bottom I show a generic MPRF tone I made for the Mirage 2000

We dont actually need real world radar parameters to accomplish RWR PRF tones. The intent is to make tones that are unique to a given radar system. ie an SA-2 FanSong should sound the same in the Viggens RWR as it does in any other RWR that provides PRF audio. Thats bc the PRF audio is based on the radar's parameters (PRF, Scan, Beamwidth/sidelobes), not the RWR. 

Pilots of old could recognize a fanSong going into High PRF mode (about to engage) from the tone alone despite having migrated from the F-105 to the F-4.

Also, the RAE mod has some good, and some very poor RWR sounds.

I have a large library of tones I've made over the past few years that include PRF, PRF modulation, scan time, beamwidth and sidelobes. For example, for modern fighters i use a MPRF waveform picking 8 PRFs in a dwell and switch between 10khz - 100khz (as per the 'Introduction to Airborne Radar' book), using the known scan times, beamwdith and approximated sidelobes. I have each PRF dwell for 256 pulses (typical FFT count used by air radars, as per the book). 

For each fighter radar I chose a different set of 8 PRFs.

I make two audio files for each. A search and a lock tone. the only difference being that the lock tone is continuous, while the search tone has the scan time and beamwdith implemented.

I take similar approaches to land based radar. Low PRF, stagger or jitter depending on technological era. Using videos to determine scan time. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

On 2/8/2021 at 11:17 PM, Beamscanner said:

realistic audio can be made.. You just need someone who understands Radar theory..

I hope ED and third parties take note!

• Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2021 at 5:17 PM, Beamscanner said:

Below is a highly authentic Radar tone I made of an APQ-153, using the radar's parameters found online via an NASA document. 

I've also made 'generic' tones (where the specific radar parameters are unavailable) using my extensive knowledge of radar waveforms and modulation types (MPRF dwell and switching, LPRF Jitters, etc). 

In the post below was me describing some issues with the Viggen's RWR sounds. But at the bottom I show a generic MPRF tone I made for the Mirage 2000

We dont actually need real world radar parameters to accomplish RWR PRF tones. The intent is to make tones that are unique to a given radar system. ie an SA-2 FanSong should sound the same in the Viggens RWR as it does in any other RWR that provides PRF audio. Thats bc the PRF audio is based on the radar's parameters (PRF, Scan, Beamwidth/sidelobes), not the RWR. 

Pilots of old could recognize a fanSong going into High PRF mode (about to engage) from the tone alone despite having migrated from the F-105 to the F-4.

Also, the RAE mod has some good, and some very poor RWR sounds.

I have a large library of tones I've made over the past few years that include PRF, PRF modulation, scan time, beamwidth and sidelobes. For example, for modern fighters i use a MPRF waveform picking 8 PRFs in a dwell and switch between 10khz - 100khz (as per the 'Introduction to Airborne Radar' book), using the known scan times, beamwdith and approximated sidelobes. I have each PRF dwell for 256 pulses (typical FFT count used by air radars, as per the book). 

For each fighter radar I chose a different set of 8 PRFs.

I make two audio files for each. A search and a lock tone. the only difference being that the lock tone is continuous, while the search tone has the scan time and beamwdith implemented.

I take similar approaches to land based radar. Low PRF, stagger or jitter depending on technological era. Using videos to determine scan time. 

Did you ever figure out how to get these added? I'd love to have this sort of thing in the F-16. If you've worked it out, please let me know.

• Like 1

I know how to add them to the A-10, thanks to looking through the famous RAE mod.. But i dont think its possible to use the same technique to add them to the F-16 yet. 

Couldnt add them to the viggen, bc it doesnt pull from premade audio files. Viggen uses some ancient CPU hex code to generate tones in real time. This reduces file size, but really limits what you can do with the tones (limited to a few tones, limited to sine waves, nothing over 7khz, no complex PRFs, no embedded sidelobe or AM)

F-5 would be a great module to add my tones to, but the C++ code under the hood doesn't allow me to just alter lua code to get it to work as it does in the A-10.

• Like 2

Just now, Beamscanner said:

I know how to add them to the A-10, thanks to looking through the famous RAE mod.. But i dont think its possible to use the same technique to add them to the F-16 yet. 

Couldnt add them to the viggen, bc it doesnt pull from premade audio files. Viggen uses some ancient CPU hex code to generate tones in real time. This reduces file size, but really limits what you can do with the tones (limited to a few tones, limited to sine waves, nothing over 7khz, no complex PRFs, no embedded sidelobe or AM)

F-5 would be a great module to add my tones to, but the C++ code under the hood doesn't allow me to just alter lua code to get it to work as it does in the A-10.

Maybe @NineLine could be of some help I know ED had in the past been looking to integrate user made stuff into the game if it met ED's standards and based on what i'm seeing here it seems too.  The F5 tone seems to be quite accurate to what radars sound like in PRF audio based off of F16/A10 hud tapes and if you could generate that stuff for a bunch of aircraft that'd be quite sweet.

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

After reveling F-16 roadmap we have this on the list "RWR Handoff PRF Tones" so every audiophile should get satisfied. I just wonder how accurate those sounds will be? They're not that hard to create as long as you have some reference. Even I've been creating my own sounds just for fun, with curiosity what can be achieved. But there is not much info reveled or i just don't know where to look.

rwr sounds.mp3

• Like 2

On 8/26/2021 at 1:21 AM, Peter5on said:

After reveling F-16 roadmap we have this on the list "RWR Handoff PRF Tones" so every audiophile should get satisfied. I just wonder how accurate those sounds will be? They're not that hard to create as long as you have some reference. Even I've been creating my own sounds just for fun, with curiosity what can be achieved. But there is not much info reveled or i just don't know where to look.

rwr sounds.mp3 1.2 MB · 15 downloads

Where did you get that file from?

MY SYSTEM SPECS: Hardware Intel pentium 3 @ 800 MHz, 256 Mb RAM, Geforce 2 64Mb, Dell screen 1024x768 + Microsoft sidewhiner joystick + TrackIR 2 + TrackClitPro SOFTWARE: Microsoft Windows 98, Noice Attack & VIASAT PRO, SnackView

15 minutes ago, Skyracer said:

Where did you get that file from?

I created it myself by using oscilators, don't know how sound engine works in dcs but let's say in unreal engine + wwise which has its own oscilators you can implement sounds to certain radar parameters so it can change with radar frequency and so on. But to do that you need someone who understands really how radar works how oscilators works and how rwr works. 😄

7 hours ago, Wing said:

@Beamscanner any new word, on getting your RWR sound files implemented into the DCS Viper?

I am not in communication with anyone about my personally made RWR sounds. 

My intent is to make them freely available as a mod whenever the RWR PRF audio functionality is added to the DCS F-16. Assuming they use a system that pulls from an audio file, rather than a real time tone generator (like Heatblur did with the Viggen) 

2 hours ago, Beamscanner said:

I am not in communication with anyone about my personally made RWR sounds. 

My intent is to make them freely available as a mod whenever the RWR PRF audio functionality is added to the DCS F-16. Assuming they use a system that pulls from an audio file, rather than a real time tone generator (like Heatblur did with the Viggen) 

Im just afraid that like all the new sounds they'll be locked behind encryption.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1