Viper HUD Symbology apparent altitude

Bumblefox

Having jumped back into the viper in the last week, I've noticed that my steerpoint diamonds and TGP box on the HUD seem to be displayed at an apparent altitude several hundred feet lower than set (i.e. set steerpoint at coordinates for the runway threshold, and lat/long position appears correct, but diamond seems to be indicating a spot underground.) 

Is this related to the SPI issue or, am I just doing it wrong, somehow?

2 hours ago, Dee-Jay said:

Can't be SPI, it is not implemented.

Coordinates ok ... but what about elevation? ... Is the ground elevation properly set?

Well I have seen instances when switching to Mavs in A2G mode a steerpoint diamond was created in front of me at an elevation my aircraft bore sight was pointing at. So getting weired symbology is not rare.

However I as well think the thread opener either has not set the elevation for his steerpoint correctly or might have some issues with the aircraft itself not knowing at what altitude it is. So check altimeter setting (PNEU/ELEC) and QFE as well as make sure you have proper INS alignment.

Possibly effected by mission pressure setting? I know in the past the QNH setting set in mission editor has changed vertical location of steerpoints etc.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

yeah, Correct altitude to flight plan, and altimeter set to the QFE from the mission;
in this case, 29.53. I input the runway threshhold coordinates and correct elevation for the south end of Krymsk, for example, and the steerpoint mark is on point in lat-long, but apparently several hundred feet below ground level, and adjusting altimeter setting or even trying to change the elevation on the steerpoint doesn't seem to fix it. 

-and I don't have this issue with the F-18 or A-10C

Edited by Bumblefox

34 minutes ago, Bumblefox said:

and altimeter set to the QFE from the mission;

No. You misunderstand. In the past any mission with the pressure setting set anything but default had altitude errors on waypoints. It was nothing to do with your altimeter setting in the aircraft, it was to do with the pressure setting IN the mission.

Check it in a mission with default pressure and see if it has the same effect. 

• Like 1

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

2 hours ago, Deano87 said:

No. You misunderstand. In the past any mission with the pressure setting set anything but default had altitude errors on waypoints. It was nothing to do with your altimeter setting in the aircraft, it was to do with the pressure setting IN the mission.

Check it in a mission with default pressure and see if it has the same effect. 

Ah, Ok, I get you. Tried it with the mission pressure set to the standard, and yee, the steerpoint/TGP symbology now aligns with the ground elevation.

I imagine this is a bug, or known issue then? Shouldn't dialing in the QFE/going through the alignment process account for that?

I thought this was fixed a while back but clearly not. I will create a thread in the verified bugs section and try and get it reported it with a track etc. 

Proud owner of:

4 hours ago, Deano87 said:

I thought this was fixed a while back but clearly not. I will create a thread in the verified bugs section and try and get it reported it with a track etc. 

Rock on, thanks mang. I can try to get you a track if you need it, but I’m working for a few more hours

Nah, don't worry, I'll put one together. I'll get it sorted out tomorrow morning.

Proud owner of:

Hmm That's a new one.

apologies for not filing the steerpoint bug report yet. Wanted to wait for the new patch to drop and see if it changed anything. Will get it done tonight.

Proud owner of:

Hey,

I've had a look and I think its all related to this bug. 

I thought it had been fixed but clearly not. It says reported so I'm not sure its worth filing a new bug report.

Edit - I've updated that thread with new tracks showing the issue. But since its already reported it will just be on the list of things to get fixed once the F-16 starts getting some love.

Edited by Deano87

Proud owner of: