NVidia Graphics Driver after 481.48 causing VR stuttering

Waxer

No need for me to write tons about this. Just a heads up for you all. 451.48 is the last good one. Since then drivers have been causing stutters. But there are no Ampere drivers out there that are not affected; 451.48 is pre-Ampere. Nvidia aware of the problem (were able to replicate) and are working (all day and night I would imagine) on a solution. Whoopsie!

(This might explain why @Aurelius found 6000-series AMD cards to have a smoother rendering pipeline compared to Ampere in VR with DCS.)

Download 451.48 here: https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/161303/

Details / background reading here: 

Edited by Milou

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

55 minutes ago, Milou said:

No need for me to write tons about this. Just a heads up for you all. 451.48 is the last good one. Since then drivers have been causing stutters. But there are no Ampere drivers out there that are not affected; 451.48 is pre-Ampere. Nvidia aware of the problem (were able to replicate) and are working (all day and night I would imagine) on a solution. Whoopsie!

(This might explain why @Aurelius found 6000-series AMD cards to have a smoother rendering pipeline compared to Ampere in VR with DCS.)

Yes... I just having all stutters with my 3090 compared with 2080ti. Better performance overall, BUT with a lot of framedrops!!!

Has anyone tried the last ones released just yesteday? https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/167753/

Also the title of the thread is wrong, it should be 451.48 not 481.48 🙂

Edited by Lurker

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

Has anyone tried the last ones released just yesteday? https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/drivers/results/167753/

Just did...Still stuttering on my 3080

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

4 hours ago, Lurker said:

Everyone's a critic!

Yeah, you are correct. Thanks.

That is what you get for multi-tasking.

But anyways, if it helps anyone then that is something good.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

16 hours ago, Milou said:

Argh...tried to rollback the driver to 451.48 ... would not install...says it is not compatible with this version of windows / Could not find suitable graphic hardware (got Win10-64 latest update and GeForce 3080). guess the driver is for Turing cards only 😢

Edited by Brainfreeze

i9 14900K / 64GB / RTX 4090 / Varjo Aero / Winwing Orion2 + F15EX / Virpil Wrbrd + Alpha Stick + ACE pedals

1 hour ago, Milou said:

451,48 pre dates Ampere. So it won't work. Turing and earlier, it will.

Hi Milou, what's your GPU?  (sorry, can't see your sig)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Don't know if it matters but, I recently did a complete wipe/reload of my PC, fresh install of DCS.

When it came to the hardware, I decided to skip installing the NVidia GEForce Experience app. I also let Windows install the driver for my 1080ti.

Since then, I have had the best VR performance I could hope for. My GPU/CPU frame times are roughly half of what they were before.

I don't know which if any NVidia posted driver this equates to...

1080ti.PNG

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

For me what worked best was forcing ASW to on, this removed pretty much all noticable judder. No stutter to speak of that I can notice either, but spotting aircraft took a hit as now I can't spot worth a damn at almost any distance where the model turns into a pixel. 

I'm using the Gameready Cyberpunk driver. 

Specs: Win10, i5-13600KF, 32GB DDR4 RAM 3200XMP, 1 TB M2 NVMe SSD, KFA2 RTX3090, VR G2 Headset, Warthog Throttle+Saitek Pedals+MSFFB2  Joystick. 

On 12/15/2020 at 10:18 PM, Milou said:

I have had no problems with any drivers since the 3090 launch, including 460.89.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

12 hours ago, Sr. said:

Don't know if it matters but, I recently did a complete wipe/reload of my PC, fresh install of DCS.

When it came to the hardware, I decided to skip installing the NVidia GEForce Experience app. I also let Windows install the driver for my 1080ti.

Since then, I have had the best VR performance I could hope for. My GPU/CPU frame times are roughly half of what they were before.

I don't know which if any NVidia posted driver this equates to...

1080ti.PNG

It's in the driver version right there. You're runing 432.00 (26.21.14.3200), which is way before 481.48.

32 minutes ago, FoxTwo said:

It's in the driver version right there. You're runing 432.00 (26.21.14.3200), which is way before 481.48.

Thanks for clarifying... now if Windows will leave it alone.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | 64GB DDR4 3600| MSI RTX 4080 16GB Ventus 3X OC  | Samsung 970 Evo 2TB NVME | HP Reverb G2 | DIY Head Tracker Cap | Logitech X-56 throttle | VKB NXT Premium |  Win 11

"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

--Arthur C Clark

3 hours ago, Sr. said:

Thanks for clarifying... now if Windows will leave it alone.

You can set Windows to not update drivers through Windows update. It's the first thing i turn off after a fresh install (which is already a long time ago).

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

I had been going back to 436.30 or 442.19 drivers for my regular 1080 to overcome the MiG-21 radar frame rate problem, which also led to great DCS performance/quality overall. But MSFS and Star Wars Squadrons both need current drivers. It is a hassle switching back and forth 😞 I laugh at the nVidia fans that say only AMD has driver issues. I used AMD for years from a Radeon 8500 128MB all the way to a 7970 GHz edition until I needed the 1080 for VR. Over all of those years I had fewer problems than I have experienced with the 1080 as the drivers keep changing to address games I don't play, features I don't use, and hardware I don't have, breaking one or more of my flight sims.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

8 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

You can set Windows to not update drivers through Windows update. It's the first thing i turn off after a fresh install (which is already a long time ago).

8 hours ago, Drac said:

Where is that feature located?

Might been a bit to fast on the info it could be done through Windows update settings (it's been a long time since i've used it to block the driver update).

But you can do this: 

- https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

or step one from here:

- https://windowsreport.com/block-driver-updates-windows-10/

If you follow the link to the Microsoft website, it will offer a download "wushowhide.diagcab". Just download and run it.

It will check for updates and then offer some option you can select.

Win11 Pro 64-bit, Ryzen 5800X3D, Corsair H115i, Gigabyte X570S UD, EVGA 3080Ti XC3 Ultra 12GB, 64 GB DDR4 G.Skill 3600. Monitors: LG 27GL850-B27 2560x1440 + Samsung SyncMaster 2443 1920x1200, HOTAS: Warthog with Virpil WarBRD base, MFG Crosswind combat pedals, TrackIR4, Rift-S.

Personal Wish List: A6 Intruder, Vietnam theater, decent ATC module, better VR performance!

4 hours ago, Lange_666 said:

Might been a bit to fast on the info it could be done through Windows update settings (it's been a long time since i've used it to block the driver update).

But you can do this: 

- https://www.windowscentral.com/how-disable-automatic-driver-updates-windows-10

or step one from here:

- https://windowsreport.com/block-driver-updates-windows-10/

If you follow the link to the Microsoft website, it will offer a download "wushowhide.diagcab". Just download and run it.

It will check for updates and then offer some option you can select.

Thanks...