poor performance rtx 3080

lt_d4n

I am attaching a screenshot of the map of Syria, with the afterburner measurements ... is this low CPU and gpu usage normal and with so few frames? it happens to me on all maps (muktiplayer). played in 2k, high options and 2x msaa

Also, for a few weeks I have noticed a lot of microsuttering...

thks

my specs: i710700k, msi rtx 3080 gaming x, 32gb ram (3200mhz), ssd m2

t3K73ys

Sin título.jpg

Edited by lt_d4n

Hi. Let's try to get more FPS. Please attach the following things:

• your DCS log ( C:\Users\your-name\Saved Games\DCS...\Logs\dcs.log ),
  • screenshots of your graphics driver parameters,
  • a dxdiag log (here's how to obtain it),
  • lines returned by this cmd command: wmic pagefile list /format:list
  • Like 1

Don't accept indie game testing requests from friends in Discord. Ever.

IMHO CPU use looks normal as DCS's performance is mostly limited by a single thread.

However, I don't understand why your GPU use is so low ?

With Vsync ON - I see perhaps a 78% GPU load but with it off, it's ~98%

wd538Z7.jpg

Low Terrain, Extreme Visibility, Vsync OFF

I'm not sure about your micro-stutter if you experience it on *all* maps but for Syria - I find it particularly demanding on RAM, so I use LOW terrain textures (reduces system RAM from 26GB to 17GB in "simple" Syrian missions).

Make sure your windows page file is set to at least 16GB min / 16GB max - in your case (Syria) I'd likely test 32GB min / 32GB max as I've seen system RAM reach +50 GB on 64GB systems.

Also reduce the pre-load radius (perhaps to 60000m) as Syria is very dense.

In MP you should expect reduced performance as it's very dependant on the server, number of players and how busy the mission is with regards to the number of scripts/AI units.

Edited by Ramsay
Add picture

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

hace 59 minutos, Flappie dijo:

Hi. Let's try to get more FPS. Please attach the following things:

• your DCS log ( C:\Users\your-name\Saved Games\DCS...\Logs\dcs.log ),
  • screenshots of your graphics driver parameters,
  • a dxdiag log (here's how to obtain it),
  • lines returned by this cmd command: wmic pagefile list /format:list

wmic pagefile list /format:list

AllocatedBaseSize=6392
CurrentUsage=184
Description=C:\pagefile.sys
InstallDate=20201212074552.635273+000
Name=C:\pagefile.sys
PeakUsage=6309
Status=
TempPageFile=FALSE

Thank you both for your answer. Attached files and graphics driver parameters are all by default, only gsync compatible active.

I have tried gsync off and on (with vscyn in fast) and everything is the same. I've been noticing this for a few weeks now and it happens on all maps. I am very surprised by the low utilization of the gpu

dcs.log dcs.log.old DxDiag.txt

Your pagefile is on a fast SSD drive with a lot of room: 👍

You have ingame Vsync OFF: 👍

You can set ingame fullscreen mode to OFF to avoid trouble at startup, but I don't think it would will change anything to performance.

Your Windows is up-to-date, and so is your graphics driver. Please check Windows GPU scheduling is turned OFF.

hace 57 minutos, Flappie dijo:

Your pagefile is on a fast SSD drive with a lot of room: 👍

You have ingame Vsync OFF: 👍

You can set ingame fullscreen mode to OFF to avoid trouble at startup, but I don't think it would will change anything to performance.

Your Windows is up-to-date, and so is your graphics driver. Please check Windows GPU scheduling is turned OFF.

Yess, windows gpu scheduling is off...well i wait for the next patch to see if I recover the performance.

hace 2 horas, Ramsay dijo:

IMHO CPU use looks normal as DCS's performance is mostly limited by a single thread.

However, I don't understand why your GPU use is so low ?

With Vsync ON - I see perhaps a 78% GPU load but with it off, it's ~98%

wd538Z7.jpg

Low Terrain, Extreme Visibility, Vsync OFF

I'm not sure about your micro-stutter if you experience it on *all* maps but for Syria - I find it particularly demanding on RAM, so I use LOW terrain textures (reduces system RAM from 26GB to 17GB in "simple" Syrian missions).

Make sure your windows page file is set to at least 16GB min / 16GB max - in your case (Syria) I'd likely test 32GB min / 32GB max as I've seen system RAM reach +50 GB on 64GB systems.

In MP you should expect reduced performance as it's very dependant on the server, number of players and how busy the mission is with regards to the number of scripts/AI units.

thanks for the reply.  Yes, the use of the gpu so low is rare, it only happens to me in dcs.  other games like cyberpunk, apex is usually 80-95%.

I will try to reduce the preload radius and look at the terrain textures ... but with these specs there should be no problems ... especially the microstutter which is what affects the game experience the most because appears in all maps, specially when appears when I fly closer to the ground and this didnt happen, I think, before the last patch

5 hours ago, Ramsay said:

I believe this is incorrect.  You want to preload as much as possible.  You want to reduce Visibility Range to High. Try these Settings.  I have a 1080Ti, and I get smooth rates with these.  Note the SSLR which is a big FPS hit.  Try it with SSLR on and OFF.  It's a preference.  I also noticed that when using SuperSampling, Anisotropic X8 instead of X16 gives back some frames. 

I note that you are running 2560x1440 @144 which is a mighty high resolution.  Try 1920x1080 which is still 16:9 and will give you massive FPS boost with these settings.  Then try 1280x720 which is half your native resolution.  As you go down in resolution, you should see a rise in FPS and you can adjust the quality settings as you like. 

New 4K Settings.PNG

ncpss3.PNG

ncpss2.PNG

ncpss1.PNG

Edited by glide

10 minutes ago, glide said:

I believe this is incorrect.  You want to preload as much as possible.  You want to reduce Visibility Range to High. Try these Settings. 

I find Syria a bit of an oddball, with High terrain textures that consume large amounts of RAM and a small draw distance for buildings/trees (compared to the Caucasus map defaults).

I started off with high terrain textures but micro-stutter over towns, meant I switched to low to reduce stutters to a minimum. As I found the aggressive Syria draw distance annoying, I used the reduced GPU loading to increase visual range.

With DCS running off a M.2 SSD I haven't found the pre-load radius to do much and so look to reduce DCS's RAM footprint.

As I normally run with Vsync ON, it's possible it masks potential issues but my experience optimising DCS for a 1050Ti and now the Rift-S have taught me to pay particular attention to texture sizes and memory footprint when trying to avoid micro-stutters. I always find your input useful and obviously YMMV.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

@lt_d4nI forgot to tell you: according to what it says in the log, Tacview makes you lose about 15 FPS. I don't know if this is normal. Still, your acmi files are stored in your system SSD ( C:\Users\your-name\Documents\Tacview\Tacview-20201214-182447-DCS-4YA_Syria_Capture_Bases_BLUE_v28A.zip.acmi ).

Can you try disabling Tacview and see if you still have issues?

Does Tacview also makes you lose about 15 FPS, guys?

2020-12-14 18:37:26.011 INFO    TACVIEW.DLL: The average frame rate of 64.6fps would have been 75.0fps if the flight data recorder was disabled

2020-12-14 18:54:27.912 INFO    TACVIEW.DLL: The average frame rate of 71.7fps would have been 84.5fps if the flight data recorder was disabled

2020-12-14 19:04:27.913 INFO    TACVIEW.DLL: The average frame rate of 76.5fps would have been 92.1fps if the flight data recorder was disabled

Edited by Flappie

Well, I can't really see much difference with Preload Radius.  However, I tried my 4k resolution with AA and Anisotropic Filtering OFF entirely.  I cannot see any difference without Anisotropic filtering at 4k.  This makes geometry like trees cheaper to display. 

I have uninstalled the tacview and I have the same fps, I have also changed to my old 1080 monitor in case it were this, but despite getting more fps, I still notice that microstuttering, especially when I look at the terrain (even lowering the terrain textures to low). So, either it's something from the new nvidia drivers, the dcs graphics engine, or some kind of problem with the trackir

OK. You can try the usual procedures:

1/ Settings reset

Rename your C\Users\your-name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta" folder into "DCS.openbeta_backup".

Start the game, set graphics options, and test.

2/ Cleanup and repair

Here's the procedure.

hace 17 minutos, Flappie dijo:

OK. You can try the usual procedures:

1/ Settings reset

Rename your C\Users\your-name\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta" folder into "DCS.openbeta_backup".

Start the game, set graphics options, and test.

2/ Cleanup and repair

Here's the procedure.

It was the first thing I did before writing the post, I deleted the game completely and left everything by default.  thanks!

20 minutes ago, lt_d4n said:

... or some kind of problem with the trackir

IIRC other users have reported TrackIR micro-stutter when frame rates are above 60 Hz, as a trackIR user - I'm familiar with it but it's easy to differentiate from GPU micro-stutter by testing with TrackIR disabled.

I don't know the fine details as my own monitor is a 60Hz large screen TV.

With these settings I believe I have things going as fast AND as smooth as possible with my hardware.  I needed to add a little AA so I went with MSAA X2.  I'm leaving Anisotropic Filtering off because I can't see how it helps.  YMMV.  BTW, the rationale for that Preload Radius is that my  Visibility Range (HIGH) is the 3rd of 5 levels, so I made the radius AT LEAST 3/5 of the range. 

DCS MSAA Fast Vsync.PNG

NCP MSAA Fast Vsync.PNG

Edited by glide
clarity

4 hours ago, lt_d4n said:

I have uninstalled the tacview and I have the same fps, I have also changed to my old 1080 monitor in case it were this, but despite getting more fps, I still notice that microstuttering, especially when I look at the terrain (even lowering the terrain textures to low). So, either it's something from the new nvidia drivers, the dcs graphics engine, or some kind of problem with the trackir

You can leave Tacview installed (after you get things sorted) and just disable the module in DCS settings (not Module Manager).  This way it won't record til you need it. 

I would try your original monitor at lower resolutions.  My 4k monitor actually works best (no flickering lights in PG map) at 1920x1080 because I believe this is the "native" 60hz resolution, and 4k is my "compressed" resolution. 

Edited by glide

I went in search of "microstutters".  At first I wasn't seeing them, but if you fix your eyes on a light on the ground and watch as it passes by something on the cockpit, you can detect them.  They are the worst on Syria, but they are there to a lesser extent on PG.  It's very hard to detect them on Caucasus because it's a very efficient map.

Microstutters are related to FAST vsync.  I can see a large and very fast rise and fall in FPS (30=40pfs) with FAST vsync.  I believe I have seen mention of this in the forums elsewhere.  I tried Adaptive (half refresh rate), and they microstutters disappeared for me.  This is probably going to be monitor specific.  I also tried Vsync ON and Adaptive.  I got the best results with Adaptive (half refresh rate). 

Update on this: it turns out that FAST makes the stutters easier to see, and Adaptive just hides the affect a bit more.  Just wanted to clarify.

Edited by glide
update

hace 52 minutos, glide dijo:

It turns out that microstutters are related to shader cache.  Turn off shader cache in the NCP.  Load times increase a bit, but huge smoothness improvement.

Thank you very much for the help, I will test your indications

• Like 1

Hi, some interesting points here.....firstly, I presume the OP and the replies relate to DCS in 2D mode, not VR? 

despite having arrived at what I feel is the optimum settings for my VR, I am still experimenting. Preload radius in particular gave me cause for thought, reducing it just gave the horrible effect of buildings rising out of the ground as you got within about a mile or less, this was at around 75 setting. I noticed no difference in performance, so now leave it maxed, same with trees........I have not tried the terrain textures reduction yet.

System specs: PC1 :Scan 3XS Ryzen 5900X, 64GB Corsair veng DDR4 3600, EVGA GTX 3090 Win 10, Quest Pro, Samsung Odyssey G9 Neo monitor. Tir5. PC2 ( Helo) Scan 3XS Intel 9900 K, 32 GB Ram, 2080Ti, 50 inch Phillips monitor

F/A-18C: Rhino FFB base TianHang F16 grip, Winwing MP 1, F-18 throttle, TO & Combat panels, MFG crosswind & DFB Aces  seat :cool:                       

Viper: WinWing MFSSB base with F-16 grip, Winwing F-16 throttle, plus Vipergear ICP. MFG crosswind rudders. 

Helo ( Apache) set up: Virpil collective with AH64D grip, Cyclic : Virpil CM3 base & TM F18 grip, MFG crosswind rudders, Total controls AH64 MFD's,  TEDAC Unit. 

I have tried all the changes and there is still micro stuttering, with the afterburner I see in the frametime graph an increase in ms that coincides with the sttutering.

I have seen in videos like the one of growling sidewinder that it also happens to him, so the problem comes from dcs and sudden drops in fps.