Video: F-5E (2x AIM-9P) vs. F-16C (2x AIM-120C and 2x AIM-9M)

Doc3908

That's some calculated flying. Especially that last high yoyo he pulled, I probably would have been tempted to pull up and fire instead of waiting. 

Also, that second 120? A cat riding on its nose could have swatted your rudder. That thing was close, good defense! 

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Zilch79's YouTube Channel:

I can hear Vipers voice in the Tac View room 
dressing down that F16 pilot right at 6:01

"The bogey has good position right here.
Freeze frame. A moment of choice

The F-   is defensive.
He has a chance to bug out right here.
Better to retire and save your aircraft
than push a bad position.

Charlie, jump in here any time. You stay
in that diamond another three seconds. - 
- The bogey's gonna blow you away.
You take a hard right, select zone five...
You can extend an escape.

You made a bad choice."

tac view room.jpg

17 hours ago, johnmjones1975 said:

I can hear Vipers voice in the Tac View room 
dressing down that F16 pilot right at 6:01

LoL! Yeah, the F-16 had plenty of opportunities to bug out, but even in a guns-only fight, the F-16 has almost all the advantages. I'll defer to the experts on this forum, but I'm pretty sure that the F-16 can out-rate the F-5, especially when I'm low on energy from dodging missiles. Instead, the stupid AI decides to play its favorite vertical games. Pulling the same stunt against a human would be MUCH, MUCH more difficult (unless they make a mistake, of course). 

On 12/14/2020 at 7:47 AM, Zilch said:

That's some calculated flying. Especially that last high yoyo he pulled, I probably would have been tempted to pull up and fire instead of waiting. 

Also, that second 120? A cat riding on its nose could have swatted your rudder. That thing was close, good defense! 

Thanks. It's somewhat easier in the F-5 because the RWR tells you when the missile gets within critical range. You just have to time things carefully and get visual on the bandit after (hopefully) you defeat the 120s. I've done this same fight multiple times, and now that I know what to do, I win probably 75% of the time. 

For a real challenge, I tried the same exact mission yesterday, but in the A-4E (also with two AIM9Ps). There's no RWR in the A-4 other than an audio warning when you get locked up and when a missile is coming in. But you have no idea where the bandit is or where the missile is coming from. Got shot down probably 5-6 times before I managed to pull it off again. 

One more: Refining my technique going up against the F-15C (2x AIM-120C and 2x AIM-9M), starting at 26500ft/8100m. This time, I drag the second AMRAAM low and to the right, then reverse hard left a couple of seconds after in gets into the critical circle on the RWR. Works like a charm every time - I've been downing that poor F-15 all day today. LoL! 🙂