Is There a Problem with Snap Views with the AV-8B

Weegie

I'm asking because I can save Snap Views in all the other modules I've made custom snap views for so far.

When I try to configure Snap Views for the AV-8B they work until I exit the module, when I re-enter the module the Snap Views have gone back to Default

I also appear to lose all the Snap Views for the other modules when I save Snap Views for the AV-8B

It could well be me but I just can't seem to get them to work for this module so I'd thought I'd ask if anybody else is either having trouble with them or if others have been able to sucessfully save Snap Views for the AV-8B?

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I think I've got a handle on what's happening

I've noticed that if you rerun a mission in the Harrier it acts like you're running a Track file. It doesn't give a clean copy of the the mission unless you exit out of the mission back to the main menu and re-select from there, which is a flaw that's been there a long time

If I select a fresh mission in the ME everything works fine, if I rerun an existing mission I lose the snap views.

I think what's happening is whatever the Snap views are at the time of the mission being run the first time are somehow setting them up for the other times it's run. I need to do some more experimentation

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2020 at 3:03 PM, Weegie said:

Ok I think I've got a handle on what's happening

I've noticed that if you rerun a mission in the Harrier it acts like you're running a Track file. It doesn't give a clean copy of the the mission unless you exit out of the mission back to the main menu and re-select from there, which is a flaw that's been there a long time

If I select a fresh mission in the ME everything works fine, if I rerun an existing mission I lose the snap views.

I think what's happening is whatever the Snap views are at the time of the mission being run the first time are somehow setting them up for the other times it's run. I need to do some more experimentation

I ran into the same problem with the Hornet and a practice mission I had created with the ME.  I found the solution to my problem in the forums here and thought I'd add to this thread, which was also returned in my search results.

In my case, the mission file itself contained its own Snapviews.lua file.  The file size of the problematic mission was significantly larger than the other missions in the directory.  I unzipped it and took a look at the contents.  I also learned yesterday that the *.miz files can be unzipped.  I found a Config directory in there that contained a Snapviews.lua file that contained my older customized snap views.  There's probably a way to salvage the mission but since it was a simple one, I trashed it and recreated it.

I've read that there is a relationship between track files and mission files.  After looking at an unzipped *.trk file, the corrupted *.miz file with the sticky snapviews looks very much like a trackfile in structure.  Perhaps a bug where saving a track of a mission sometimes overwrites the *.miz file with the incorrect *.trk format?  Since the file sizes are so different, the quick way to find these corrupted *.miz files seems to be to look for mission files with noticeably larger sizes.

28 minutes ago, Smashy said:

I ran into the same problem with the Hornet and a practice mission I had created with the ME.  I found the solution to my problem in the forums here and thought I'd add to this thread, which was also returned in my search results.

In my case, the mission file itself contained its own Snapviews.lua file.  The file size of the problematic mission was significantly larger than the other missions in the directory.  I unzipped it and took a look at the contents.  I also learned yesterday that the *.miz files can be unzipped.  I found a Config directory in there that contained a Snapviews.lua file that contained my older customized snap views.  There's probably a way to salvage the mission but since it was a simple one, I trashed it and recreated it.

I've read that there is a relationship between track files and mission files.  After looking at an unzipped *.trk file, the corrupted *.miz file with the sticky snapviews looks very much like a trackfile in structure.  Perhaps a bug where saving a track of a mission sometimes overwrites the *.miz file with the incorrect *.trk format?  Since the file sizes are so different, the quick way to find these corrupted *.miz files seems to be to look for mission files with noticeably larger sizes.

Thank you @Smashy very helpful, I knew that .miz were just .zip files and that there is a correlation between trk and miz files, but thank you for going to the trouble and all the other info is very useful

A little off topic but I think that from a .trk file you can actually recreate the mission fille, although quite how you go about it I'm not sure, I've never felt the need to do it.