Make Kneeboard pins permanent

Rhinozherous

Hello!

The new Kneeboard is awesome! Resizing, mouse page turn and the pins are very nice tools!

The last thing that would make these new features even more awesome would be to have an option to make the pins permanent. So that we dont have to set them at every mission start. Would be nice to start a mission and have the previous set pins in place.

Thanks 

• Like 3

i7-7700K - 32GB RAM - MSI RTX 2080 Super

P3D - DCS - MSFS2020

• 2 months later...

I would add to that the ability to set pins on certain kneeboard pages that you add to the custom kneeboard folder in saved games. I want to add the f/a-18 emergency checklists and it's 200 pages. I'd like to add pins for the different chapters and possibly one for every new alphabet letter. Would be great if you can label them, too. like 1 or 2 letters would be enough even.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
On 2/24/2021 at 6:30 PM, Sinclair_76 said:

I would suggest tabs as permanent pins , which can be named. And then the labels we have now as temporary ones.

+1

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

+1

Though what would be even better IMO - have a kneeboard builder in the ME that can change on a per aircraft basis in the mission editor, allowing you to pin things beforehand, among other things.

Kind of like what the WDP has available for that other, F-16 orientated sim.

Edited by Northstar98
  • Like 2

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV-2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, CA, NS430, Hawk

Terrains I own: Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas

System (RIP my old PC): Dell XPS 15 9570 w/ Intel i7-8750H, NVIDIA GTX 1050Ti Max-Q, 16GB DDR4, 500GB Samsung PM871 SSD (upgraded with 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD)

VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite

Dreams: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/bG9bBc

Posted (edited)

Pretty please, yes! +1

Been thinking about solving this via text files in the thread above. But actually this could way easier and less messy be achieved by allowing sub folders per kneeboard folder, which then are interpreted as permanent shortcuts (+ can also show the folders name on the kneeboard tab up to X chars truncated). I'd at this point also like to vote for having horizontal shortcut tabs to save vertical space and allow for longer descriptions at the same time 😉

As an (incomplete) example for F-16C how it could be structured:

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\Startup\

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\Taxi-takeoff\

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\performance-charts\

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\AAR\

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\FENCE\

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\HARM-ALIC\

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\RWR-threats\

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\Brevity-codes\

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\Phonetic-morse\

each of these folders would have the associated kneeboard pages added. With those folders interpreted by DCS as permanent shortcut tabs we would have a really easy and flexible solution. No need for ingame UI to be designed and coded or similar time consuming things. Quick and easy to implement and still easy to use at the same time.

Terrains, missions, campaigns could adapt that file structure too in their very sub-folders. So the Caucasus charts for example could come with sub folders for each country and browsing through would be sped up immensely. Same with missions and campaigns, which sometimes come with a good amount of extra info (data cards, recon images etc) -> drop those kneeboard pages in sub folders that come with missions/campaigns ("dcs_savedgames_folder/missions/missionname/kneeboard/shortcut-name" would make this backwards compatible and easy to set up, even for older missions to update).

Having 100+ pages (EASILY!!! being hit with checklists, SID/STAR charts, a variety of cheat sheets etc) would be a no-brainer to navigate finally.

(also please kick out/opt-out that auto-generated maps, they are really useless clutter 😉)

Edited by Desert Fox
  • Like 5

image.png

Hardware: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX | Ryzen 5 3600X (6*3.8 Ghz) | 32 GB RAM | MSI Radeon RX5700 | Samsung SSD 860 QVO 1TB | DCS dedicated @ WD Blue 500 GB SSD | Win 10 (64-bit) | TM Warthog HOTAS, MFD and rudder pedals, TrackIR5

Wishlist:  Northern Germany/Baltic Sea theater | Full Fidelity Su-25A | Asset packs (80s Iran, Lebanon 1982, Syria 2011+ factions) | Persistent KB shortcuts | Proper coalitions system |

• 5 months later...
On 5/3/2021 at 12:59 PM, Desert Fox said:

Pretty please, yes! +1

Been thinking about solving this via text files in the thread above. But actually this could way easier and less messy be achieved by allowing sub folders per kneeboard folder, which then are interpreted as permanent shortcuts (+ can also show the folders name on the kneeboard tab up to X chars truncated). I'd at this point also like to vote for having horizontal shortcut tabs to save vertical space and allow for longer descriptions at the same time 😉

As an (incomplete) example for F-16C how it could be structured:

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\Startup\

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\Taxi-takeoff\

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\performance-charts\

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\AAR\

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\FENCE\

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\HARM-ALIC\

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\RWR-threats\

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\Brevity-codes\

dcs_savedgames_folder\kneeboard\F-16C_50\Phonetic-morse\

each of these folders would have the associated kneeboard pages added. With those folders interpreted by DCS as permanent shortcut tabs we would have a really easy and flexible solution. No need for ingame UI to be designed and coded or similar time consuming things. Quick and easy to implement and still easy to use at the same time.

Terrains, missions, campaigns could adapt that file structure too in their very sub-folders. So the Caucasus charts for example could come with sub folders for each country and browsing through would be sped up immensely. Same with missions and campaigns, which sometimes come with a good amount of extra info (data cards, recon images etc) -> drop those kneeboard pages in sub folders that come with missions/campaigns ("dcs_savedgames_folder/missions/missionname/kneeboard/shortcut-name" would make this backwards compatible and easy to set up, even for older missions to update).

Having 100+ pages (EASILY!!! being hit with checklists, SID/STAR charts, a variety of cheat sheets etc) would be a no-brainer to navigate finally.

(also please kick out/opt-out that auto-generated maps, they are really useless clutter 😉)

+100

• Thanks 1

Hi all,

I would like to push this topic to ED devs attention because I think it's quite needed expecially for training and multiplayer organized missions.

I am building up several kneeboard pages based on the specific training i'll attend to my cadets and all those pages if organized with some pre-built pins (the folder structure proposed in this thread would work just fantastic) should result the ultimate organization for every cadet-pilot kneeboard to keeep. Just like a real flying bag 😉

Thank you guys and keep up the good work 👌

• Thanks 1