Do moving units crash the server

gunterlund21

Ive created a mission for MP with about 60 ground groups that move using detection. I find the mission keeps crashing and sending off error reports. So three questions;

1. Do large numbers of moving ground units overload the server.

2. Is there a place to catch the crash log. 

3. Do we get feedback on the crash report.

Edited by gunterlund21

I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!

If your game crashes with a crash prompt, it will generate a crash log. You can find that log in your C:\Users\*User*\Saved Games\DCS.openbeta\Logs with date and hour of the crash. If no crash log you can still look through the general log. You can upload them to the forums, so developers or users could give an idea why it is happening, or report it, if it is a bug.

To your first question... it depends, but in general No... especially not something as low as 60 units. Causes might be scripts, mods or some a trigger action (or similar) which makes a big chuck of the units initiate something at once and your system cannot handle it (CPU freezing at 100% or running out of RAM), etc.

You can achieve big number of units and players with no problems. Most of the time, the limitation is not the general number of the units, but their concentration and actions.

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

Everybody gotta be offended and take it personally now-a-days

9 hours ago, HC_Official said:

lots of moving vechs will cause serious performance issues

Define "lots", so you don't give misleading information. I've had field of ~300 (around 150 per side, give or take) vehicles shoot at each other with ATGMs and move and have no performance issues, while giving the commands through Combined Arms and constantly jumping in and out of vehicles. Another important key is to not use all these "fancy" scripts, which constantly spawn stuff. Scripts are one of the biggest culprits to crashes.

Limiting the vehicles in a group is something I also do. Just so the AI doesn't constantly wait for each other. I usually pair two units per a group. 

8 hours ago, gunterlund21 said:

Shadow where can I deposit the crash zips? Thanks for the info.

If you wanna post a crash log or something similar as a bug or to be reviewed, normally you can do that in DCS World 2.5 -> Bugs and Problems -> Game Crash 

'Shadow'

I try to limit to amount of ground units moving about to 30 or less( 8 to 10 per group) , DCS having to work out road routes / off road routes for long distances seems to cause

it to suffer performance issues, and the more you have moving the more warping you can get especially with infantry

How many clients are on your server with 300 units going at it ?

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Well, for that particular test I've had up to 4 people on... but that's just because it is a test, there is no reason to have 300 units in a field, going at each other.

I've ran missions for two hours with numbers of units between 150 and 300, with up to 30 clients on the server and no issues. Obviously not every unit is moving or doing a thing all the time.

Even so, I am certain I can get the same result with the 300 vehicles in a field, shooting each other.

Desync with ground vehicles occurs, when people smash their speed (the slider on the F10) to max and the vehicle can't do that speed. Always put the slider to the maximum speed the AI can actually drive that vehicle at. Put less vehicles in a group. There is no reason to have more than 4 vehicles per group, unless it is a SAM, artillery, ships or infantry, but those in general don't move that often anyway.

Ever since the big issues, which 2.5.6 brought, with pathfinding, it has been improved every patch, back to normal and even better than what it used to be before 2.5.6 in some aspects.  I find the pathfinding to quite alright right now. Just recently I had like a group of 30 vehicles spawn next to each other and all start moving at the same time to go to their destination and not one vehicle got stuck with another or anything similar.

Believe me if you want, I am telling you what I've done and it works for me.

Edited by Shadow KT

'Shadow'

So I have three battalions with each battalion made up of 14 groups. This should not overwhelm the server correct? I use Moose tasking to move the units. Ive tried to stagger the timing of the tasking so they dont all fire at the same time. 

moving groups.PNG

moving units.PNG

I was in Art of the Kill D#@ it!!!!

If I was to bet, probably something from the script causing your crashes, maybe you've made a mistake somewhere in the lua file, when setting it up. Unfortunate, I can't help you with scripts, I don't use any. Probably best if you contact someone from the MOOSE discord.

Try running your mission without your script, to confirm if that's what is causing your issues.

'Shadow'