[DCS ISSUE] tracks totally useless now

eatthis

they were very hit and miss before the patch but since the last patch not a  single trakc is even remotely useable. it always goes off in the 1st few seconds and thats it.
anybody having that issue? 
is there anything i can try?

Edited by IronMike

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

Never have worked for me with Tomcat.

Specs & Wishlist:

Core i9 9900k 5.0Ghz, Asus ROG Maximus XI Hero, 64GB G.Skill Trident 3600, Asus RoG Strix 3090 OC, 2TB x Samsung Evo 970 M.2 boot. Samsung Evo 860 storage, Coolermaster H500M, ML360R AIO

HP Reverb G2, Samsung Odyssey+ WMR; VKB Gunfighter 2, MCG Pro; Virpil T-50CM v3; Slaw RX Viper v2

The problem is Jester multicrew, and that tracks in DCS record every one of your inputs and then try to recreate from that. It doesn't account for 2 cockpits though, Jester, etc... If tracks would simply record the aircraft position, like in some other sims, that would be all less of an issues. We hope we can find a solution with ED one day.

Heatblur Simulations

Please feel free to contact me anytime, either via PM here, on the forums, or via email through the contact form on our homepage.

http://www.heatblur.com/

https://www.facebook.com/heatblur/

• IronMike changed the title to [DCS ISSUE] tracks totally useless now

Just because it "Shouldn't" be an issue, has no bering on it actually being an issue. I don't think ED is ever going to make a solution. A third party is going to have to step up and make something like a version of tacview that can take over the game engine and force a verbatim replay. 

Trying the free weeks of the F-14 (a year after the last free trial) and replay tracks did not work then and do not work now. Even on the simplest take off and land single player empty map missions. All other aircraft work 100% in this condition, and mostly work (90%+) in complex longer SP missions. All the hard work on the beautiful F-14 external models are lost without the replay mode, so it's a deal breaker.

On 12/17/2020 at 9:22 PM, IronMike said:

The problem is Jester multicrew, and that tracks in DCS record every one of your inputs and then try to recreate from that. It doesn't account for 2 cockpits though, Jester, etc... If tracks would simply record the aircraft position, like in some other sims, that would be all less of an issues. We hope we can find a solution with ED one day.

F-14 is not the only plane with multicrew. L-39 and now Huey both have multicrew and none of the problems with replays. Plus, as was said above, Jester has no input on flight dynamics.

Edited by Katmandu

This is definitely a DCS issue, not module specific.  If you have enough things going on, it will lose track.  Since the supercarrier, if you have more than a handful of planes operating, my F-18 will drive off the end of the deck and crash instead of lining up for the catapult.  In missions with the Harrier, I can usually take off, then refuel 400 meters away from the tanker and crash.  With the mirage, I have about the same luck as the F-14, barely make it off the ground.  FC-3 seems to fair better, but those are low fidelity models.  The architecture of the replay system is probably the same as the Flaming Cliffs days, and what worked then doesn't now.  You aren't wrong to say this should be fixed, but you need to tell the people who can fix it, not a 3rd party dev.

I've been flying since the Flanker 1.5 DOS days in the 90's and it seems as time goes on with each release the track system becomes more and more unreliable.  This is really a shame because the ability to rewatch missions to study and learn is one of the core things that kept me loyal to Flanker (and the DCS that it eventually became) all these years.  As it is now, flying off the SuperCarrier in my Hornet guarantees the track will be a hot mess even if the SC & me are the only things in the mission.  I have pretty good luck though with accurate tracks starting a Hornet carrier ops mission in air and landing on the SuperCarrier.

I agree with the earlier comment that it will likely take a 3rd party developer to step in and create a bullet proof replay system.  Even though the DCS team probably "could" do it, I have the feeling they're spread so thin already developing new stuff and trying to get early access modules into full release that it's just not a priority...unfortunately 🙄

Alienware Area-51M: i7-9700K, 165Hz 27" ASUS Swift PG279 IPS with G-SYNC, 32GB DDR4 Ram, 1TB M.2 PCie x4 SSD, 1TB SSHD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 8GB GDDR6, Windows 10, CH Eclipse...

Check out my fictional F/A 18-C Hornet and Su33 Flanker skins at: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/?CREATED_BY=WytchCrypt&set_filter=Y

• 1 month later...

The culprit is probably the complexity of the tracking/replay functionality. It seems that it records everything that is done during a flight (i.e. click this, click that, move this, move that) and then re-computes the impact that all these individual actions would have on the flight path etc. This makes the "Take control" feature possible, which allows me to take control at a certain point of the track and see what happens if I had made a left turn instead of a right turn etc. Personally I think this is an edge case scenario.

In comparison, just tracking the 3d-coordinates and orientation, plus the status of certain items (like control surfaces, pilot's head etc) of each object at a certain rate per second should be much easier to implement and be much more reliable to replay. And it would satisfy two important use cases: learning by watching, and making videos.

15 hours ago, andyw248 said:

The culprit is probably the complexity of the tracking/replay functionality. It seems that it records everything that is done during a flight (i.e. click this, click that, move this, move that) and then re-computes the impact that all these individual actions would have on the flight path etc. This makes the "Take control" feature possible, which allows me to take control at a certain point of the track and see what happens if I had made a left turn instead of a right turn etc. Personally I think this is an edge case scenario.

In comparison, just tracking the 3d-coordinates and orientation, plus the status of certain items (like control surfaces, pilot's head etc) of each object at a certain rate per second should be much easier to implement and be much more reliable to replay. And it would satisfy two important use cases: learning by watching, and making videos.

This is correct. You can hear us talking about the replay system here. It might be caused by some type of memory related issue and will likely be extremely difficult to solve, but it's hard to say. We have practically no control or insight over how the replays record and how they play back. Time has already been spent (read: wasted) looking into this, and we effectively made no progress. Based on that experience, the probable large amount of time/resources required to actually fix it effectively pushes it far down the priority list. Otherwise we wouldn't be able to spend our very finite resources on delivering the remainder of the F-14 package and fix more pressing bugs whose resolution takes fewer resources. We won't forget about this one, but we can't commit a large amount of resources into further investigation at this time. This is all assuming that it's something we can fix ourselves and not a DCS bug beyond our control. The jury is still out on that one, as of now we don't see anything we're doing to directly cause the problem.

Edited by fat creason

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations

13 hours ago, fat creason said:

You can hear us talking about the replay system here

Wow that was a great interview, thanks for sharing the link! So if I understand this correctly there is a server recording that is available in multiplayer because the servers that run multiplayer missions have that recording?

1 hour ago, andyw248 said:

Wow that was a great interview, thanks for sharing the link! So if I understand this correctly there is a server recording that is available in multiplayer because the servers that run multiplayer missions have that recording?

Yep. You can run two instances of DCS on your own machine (one server/one client) and get the same thing. That's how all the big trailer/movie makers do it.

Edited by fat creason
  • Thanks 1

Systems Engineer & FM Modeler

Heatblur Simulations