Random Timings

DaleRFU

Good morning all,

I'm trying to create a mission where I can sit on CAP/CAS and have random enemy units appear. I have been able to get the random units to appear however they are continuous so as soon as one dies the next spawns in. I would like it so that once I've killed the first one that there is a random time thay the next will spawn in. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know, I would be most greatful to you.

Kind Regards

Dale 

you need LUA and MIST, something like this:

--set your respawn function
function yourFunctionName()
   if not Group.getByName('groupName') then
      mist.respawnGroup('groupName', true)
   end
end

--call your function periodic
--function  name // parameter (if needed) // Start function after 5 minutes // Call function again random, between 1 or 2 minutes // end calling function after 60 minutes
mist.scheduleFunction(yourFunctionName, {}, timer.getTime() + 300, math.random(60, 120), timer.getTime() + 3600)

Documentation here: 

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/Mission_Scripting_Tools_Documentation

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/Category:Functions

Hope it helps

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 12:28 PM, dark_wood said:

you need LUA and MIST, something like this:

--set your respawn function
function yourFunctionName()
   if not Group.getByName('groupName') then
      mist.respawnGroup('groupName', true)
   end
end

--call your function periodic
--function  name // parameter (if needed) // Start function after 5 minutes // Call function again random, between 1 or 2 minutes // end calling function after 60 minutes
mist.scheduleFunction(yourFunctionName, {}, timer.getTime() + 300, math.random(60, 120), timer.getTime() + 3600)

Documentation here: 

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/Mission_Scripting_Tools_Documentation

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/Category:Functions

Hope it helps

Sorry to drag up an old thread, but if I used this where would I insert it (condition or action), when would I insert it and which parts of the test do I change exactly?

Regards

Dale

1 - yes, put there your group name

2 - open Notepad++ an copy/paste my code there, then save as LUA - this file you will load after MIST

3 - no need to be sorry, i like to help, but you will need to test it by yourself - this is how you will learn 🙂 - i'm only show you the path to follow

Edited by dark_wood
  • Like 1

56 minutes ago, dark_wood said:

1 - yes, put there your group name

2 - open Notepad++ an copy/paste my code there, then save as LUA - this file you will load after MIST

3 - no need to be sorry, i like to help, but you will need to test it by yourself - this is how you will learn 🙂 - i'm only show you the path to follow

Thank you so much for helping I really appreciate it. Once I have loaded the .lua file I find that the unit does not activate, so I added "activate group" so now the unit is present however it is activated instantly after 5 seconds as per the condition. I tried the same with flags and then having a separate line for group activate but I got the same results.

DCS Triggers 2.jpgDCS Triggers.jpg

Soo, let me explain: this MIST function, only respawn a dead group, it doesn't activate it at all.

Like i said, this script is doing a check (at random times) to see if your group is dead - if it is dead, it respawn it.

Why don't you activate it from the start, and remove the GROUP ACTIVATE (Test)? Unit is active (at mission start), you kill it (or not), then after a random time it is respawned.

Anyway, if you want to play with LUA (which is good):

trigger.action.activateGroup(Group.getByName('Test'))

you will have something like:

MISSION START > no condition > load MIST file

ONCE > time more 10 seconds > do script -  trigger.action.activateGroup(Group.getByName('Test'))

ONCE > time more 20 seconds > do script file Test.lua

On 12/9/2020 at 8:48 AM, DaleRFU said:

Good morning all,

I'm trying to create a mission where I can sit on CAP/CAS and have random enemy units appear. I have been able to get the random units to appear however they are continuous so as soon as one dies the next spawns in. I would like it so that once I've killed the first one that there is a random time thay the next will spawn in. If anyone knows how to do this please let me know, I would be most greatful to you.

Kind Regards

Dale 

I would not need to use MIST for this kind of thing, just DCS mission editor triggers and conditions. In all missions I do I have a trigger that sets flag 1 to a value between 1 and 60 every minute.

Instead of spawning a new group directly when another dies as I guess you have it set up now you could instead set another flag, lets call it flag 2, to a random value between an interval of your choosing. Then you activate the group using the flag is less than flag condition for flag 1 and 2. 

If flag 2 gets a value of 30 there will be 50% chance that flag 1 is less than that because it is set between 1 and 60 every minute. If not its the same chance the next minute. So if flag 2 is 30 the next group will activate in a couple of minutes. If you want longer delay then have flag 2 get a value that is lower than 30, if you set it to 2 you should statisticly have to wait a long time since the only time the group will activate is the minute when flag 1 gets the value 1. Therfore set flag 2 randomly between an interval, perhaps 10-30. Its a bit more complicated to calculate the chance using mathematical statistics than this but roughly you can just think what the chance is every minute depending on flag 2s value. If flag 2 is 10 then its 1/6 chance every minute so roughly in 6 minutes it should happen for example. I dont know exactly how you have your mission set up so I dont know exactly how you should apply this but its possible this way.

Edited by Fisherman82