Question about the Paddle switch (autopilot disconnect)/Roll & pitch SAS in dogfighting

WelshZeCorgi

Why does it also turn off roll and Pitch sas? I get why it would turn off autopilot but the pitch and roll SAS feels unnecessary...

Also on a different topic, is it true that dogfighting with the Roll and Pitch SAS off is preferable? I've seen people talk about it but not sure how true that is, or why it's preferable, for that matter.

There is a video where a russian AF Tu-152 is being put back into service after years of storage. Turns out maintenance switched the inputs for yaw and roll to the autopilot (which provides pitch/roll/yaw stabilization during manual flight, much like the tomcat). The result was the plane rolling and yawing violently just after TO. It was a miracle that the crew managed to land the thing. But before giving them too much credit, the whole thing could have been prevented by simply turning off the AP servos or the AP system alltogether (there is a switch for that easily accessible for both captain and FO). Long story short, if the AP starts doing strange things, which can also happen during manual flight as the AP is still providing pitch/roll/yaw stabilization and thereby does have authority over control surfaces, you want to have a quick and easy way to completely remove AP input. The paddle is not meant to revert from automatic flight to manual flight but stop the aircraft from departing should the AFCS go nuts. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i5-8600k @4.9Ghz, 2080ti , 32GB@2666Mhz, 512GB SSD

3 hours ago, WelshZeCorgi said:

Why does it also turn off roll and Pitch sas? I get why it would turn off autopilot but the pitch and roll SAS feels unnecessary...

Also on a different topic, is it true that dogfighting with the Roll and Pitch SAS off is preferable? I've seen people talk about it but not sure how true that is, or why it's preferable, for that matter.

when dogfighting its best to switch the roll sas off and leave the others on.
what happens is at high aoa with roll sas on the nose flops around a bit, easy to test it. stick the jet at 330  kts and 15 units aoa (the thick line on the aoa gauge) HOLD it there, then use rudder only to roll the ac. now do the same thing with roll sas on and off and youll see the difference

7700k @5ghz, 32gb 3200mhz ram, 2080ti, nvme drives, valve index vr

If you read the full name "Autopilot emergency disengage paddle" all should be clear.

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

4 hours ago, draconus said:

If read the full name "Autopilot emergency disengage paddle" all should be clear.

Yes, I understand its for emergency use. If you bothered reading the post, (4 sentences long, so yes, must be difficult for you) the question was why it also turned off roll and pitch SAS.

Edited by WelshZeCorgi

3 hours ago, WelshZeCorgi said:

Yes, I understand its for emergency use. If you bothered reading the post, (4 sentences long, so yes, must be difficult for you) the question was why it also turned off roll and pitch SAS.

sLYFa's response seems pretty clear.  The AP steers the plane with the roll and pitch SAS servos so turning them off ensures that a faulty AP can no longer control the aircraft.  Seems to be an issue with simple analog electronics since in DFCS planes the paddle switch only disables AP.

• Thanks 1