AMD RX 6900 XT and DCS in VR (with the Reverb G2)

The 6900 XT is (as of Dec 8th, 2020) about 3% faster than the Nvidia RTX 3090 in VR with the Reverb G2. You can read the results from The Flight Simming Hardware List thread:

Surprisingly, the 6900 XT is averaging about 8% slower than the RTX 3090 in many AAA titles at 4k (3840 x 2160) and up to 27% slower in major titles with ray tracing enabled (this is bc for the last ~ 30 months, Nvidia has been the only game in town and hence the code is tuned for them)

Edited by Aurelius
  • Like 1

One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Multiverse is to learn the language in which it is written, ...... mathematics. 

i9-10940X - ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega - 64 GB 3600 MHz - Testing RTX 3090 and 6900 XT - VKB Kosmosima SCE - CH Franken Potato Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Reverb G2

JayTheSkepticalEngineer.com

Skepticism is always a good thing.

Edited by Aurelius

One of the best ways to appreciate the beauty of the Multiverse is to learn the language in which it is written, ...... mathematics. 

i9-10940X - ASUS ROG Rampage VI Extreme Omega - 64 GB 3600 MHz - Testing RTX 3090 and 6900 XT - VKB Kosmosima SCE - CH Franken Potato Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Reverb G2

Navi is a raster beast so this isn't terribly surprising.

The 3090 is going to beat it in any modern title though that's not DX11/pure single threaded raster.

Honestly though thanks to actual availability, it's all academic for at least the next three to six months anyway.

Edited by FoxTwo

I think a 6900XT paired up with one of the late Ryzen motherboards would be  hard combination to beat.

6900XT with Intel board maybe not so much. Still a good option though that is more cost effective than a current 3090 card.

Don B

My VKB Gunfighter MK III Pro L Review

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.2 GHz | EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | 32 GB G Skill Trident Z 3200 MHz CL14 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler | Samsung 970 Pro, 970 Evo 1TB m.2 Nvme |VKB GF MK III Pro L Ultimate Grip| Virpil CM3 Throttle |Reverb G2 | 

I'm not sure about many of you guys, but I think it is time for major hardware sites to begin including VR results as well. It would be nice to see Guru3D, Tom's Hardware, etc .... add in a few major VR benches.

• Like 2

Everyone has to take stock of the fact that for the last three years or so, Nvidia had pretty much the whole soccer field to itself. All the major AAA developers optimized to Nvidia and worked their ray tracing tech to accommodate Big Green. Now that real competition is at hand, we will see some changes by summer 2021. I do not see the 6900 XT overtaking RTX 3090 in 2D gaming or ray tracing but I do see them pulling up much tighter by six months from now.

Aurelius

Thank you this is the first post I have seen that can be used to actually help choose hardware thanks to having a control group that closely matches my current setup as well as controlled enviroment and settings between hardware!

I have the  new Intel 8086k at 5ghz (not be confused with the one from 1970) and the 2080ti  with 32gb of ram (3200 maybe) and the G2. I would very much like to attempt repeat your test results but I need some clarification in testing methodology.

1) can you name the mission you used? Was it in "training" or "campaign"  I think I remember the mission you are talking about but am having difficulty locating it.

2) did you fly the mission as instructed or did you make your own course?

3) You provided avg FPS. How did you keep the average consistent between test? If I sat in the "main screen" for 10 min I would be accumulating a 90fps 100% duration for 10 min then If I flew for 2 min at 20fps this would be weighted against the 10min of idle time at 90fps before loading the mission. The avg would be much higher vs 90fps for 1 min vs 20 min of flight time at 20 ish fps.  

I think thats enough to get me within margin of error.

Thanks again!!

3 hours ago, Aurelius said:

Well I entered a raffle to be able to buy one of those for $200 more than MSRP+vat :D

Gun Jam, it's a busy day today but I will get back to you later this evening.

Basically it's about the decision to build a system mainly for DCS or not / the need for raytracing features or not. Since DCS is still running on rasterization only, a 6XXX AMD GPU will the better budget option with 16GB VRAM as a bonus (DCS likes lots of VRAM). As soon as you also want all the raytracing goodness for other games, go for 30XX Nvidia...

• Like 1

i9 10920X @4.8GHz, 3090 OC, 64 GB RAM @3600, Valve Index, HOTAS & Rudder: all Virpil with FFB base mod (G940)

17 hours ago, Gun Jam said:

Aurelius

Thank you this is the first post I have seen that can be used to actually help choose hardware thanks to having a control group that closely matches my current setup as well as controlled enviroment and settings between hardware!

I have the  new Intel 8086k at 5ghz (not be confused with the one from 1970) and the 2080ti  with 32gb of ram (3200 maybe) and the G2. I would very much like to attempt repeat your test results but I need some clarification in testing methodology.

1) can you name the mission you used? Was it in "training" or "campaign"  I think I remember the mission you are talking about but am having difficulty locating it.

2) did you fly the mission as instructed or did you make your own course?

3) You provided avg FPS. How did you keep the average consistent between test? If I sat in the "main screen" for 10 min I would be accumulating a 90fps 100% duration for 10 min then If I flew for 2 min at 20fps this would be weighted against the 10min of idle time at 90fps before loading the mission. The avg would be much higher vs 90fps for 1 min vs 20 min of flight time at 20 ish fps.  

I think thats enough to get me within margin of error.

Thanks again!!

1) - The first test run was done under the P-51 training mission (not campaign) that begins with the Mustang already running and ready for take-off. 

2) - I take-off, head to the right (north) and fly over Batumi at about 100 meters completing a big right handed circle with a return to the airport and full landing.

3) - I only averaged FPS from the point at which I started rolling down the runway. The "main screen" was not factored in.

Nvidia settings were at default for driver version 457.51. 

4 hours ago, Alec Delorean said:

Basically it's about the decision to build a system mainly for DCS or not / the need for raytracing features or not. Since DCS is still running on rasterization only, a 6XXX AMD GPU will the better budget option with 16GB VRAM as a bonus (DCS likes lots of VRAM). As soon as you also want all the raytracing goodness for other games, go for 30XX Nvidia...

I agree with you Alec, the important ratio is how important is DCS to each GPU owner? If your graphics card is mainly for DCS in VR, then the 6900 XT is the path for you. If you play plenty of other titles, especially those with ray tracing, then the weighting shifts and the Nvidia cards take over.

Edited by Aurelius

I got about 16.3 avg the first few times I tried. Went to figure out what was screwed up then found that you had msaa to 2x not 4x.

Tried again and got a 24avg...Nice thats within 1fps of your score. So now I know there aren't any issues on my end software or hardware wise.

how are you nvidia settings set to when actually playing? Default as well or do you have a custom setup running? In typical game play do you run PD at 1? what SS value?

Thanks again!

Edited by Gun Jam

Its also very important to note that Steam VR setting must be looked at on a Reverb G2 as they are very wacky....The super sampling per eye resolution settings is set at like 8K....I had to turn mine down to as close to 2160x2160 as I could to avoid bad flickering and stuttering, which turns out to be like 50 percent IDK why they label stuff like that.  Very misleading

Ch

10 hours ago, Gun Jam said:

I got about 16.3 avg the first few times I tried. Went to figure out what was screwed up then found that you had msaa to 2x not 4x.

Tried again and got a 24avg...Nice thats within 1fps of your score. So now I know there aren't any issues on my end software or hardware wise.

how are you nvidia settings set to when actually playing? Default as well or do you have a custom setup running? In typical game play do you run PD at 1? what SS value?

Thanks again!

Gun, for testing I leave Nvidia and AMD drivers at stock without tuning or adjustments. For my own online combat and duels, right now I am running the PD at 1 (in-game DCS setting) and running SS at 84%. I also make a few minor adjustments with the drivers (but any noticeable difference is just apophenia in my mind I suspect).

Edited by Aurelius

I've said it before and will mention it again, one thing I greatly enjoy about the 6900XT versus the RTX 3090 is that other fighters are ever so slightly darker and with just a touch more edge outline to them. This is due to minute differences in the AMD rendering path. Anyone who has flown in VR with IL2 Great Battles will know what I am talking about. Because of this small but noticeable delta, the 6900 XTs in my lab are a bit like the late Charlton Heston's firearms, ... the only way they are leaving me is by prying them from my cold dead hands.

Edited by Aurelius