Simple Nav question

Kula66

In the 14, I can select a TACAN source and course and see my range and whether I'm left or right of that course line.

Can I do this for waypoints or bullseye? NOTE: This is with Jester. I've been flying the 15 alot recently and this is so useful and works even on analog instruments.

CLARIFICATION: The key bit is, can I see my deviation from a course to a waypoint/bulls??

Thanks.

Edited by Kula66

@Kula66 You can fly any course to anywhere in the F-14.... Google some ADF/NDB navigation tutorials, it's no different... "push the head and drag the tail".

Former USN Avionics Tech

VF-41 86-90, 93-95

VF-101 90-93

Heatblur Tomcat SME

I9-9900K | Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra | 32GB DDR4 3200 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe | RTX 2070 Super | TM Throttle | VPC Warbird Base TM F-18 Stick

Thanks for the replies guys, but this isn't about point A to B navigation, its whether I can quickly see whether I'm left or right of a line drawn through a waypoint/bulls as shown in the graphic from the 14s NATOPs.

To give the background, I'm looking to use this in a multi-flight BVR PvP scenario, where you may want to assign one flight to cover the left of the airspace and another the right, and to help them deconflict, keep station etc. Other flights maybe 16s, 18s or 17s. Maybe its something that nav grid could be used for, but given the limitations of the Jester wheel, I haven't been able to get this to work usefully.

Edited by Kula66

1 hour ago, Kula66 said:

To give the background, I'm looking to use this in a multi-flight BVR PvP scenario, where you may want to assign one flight to cover the left of the airspace and another the right, and to help them deconflict, keep station etc. Other flights maybe 16s, 18s or 17s. Maybe its something that nav grid could be used for, but given the limitations of the Jester wheel, I haven't been able to get this to work usefully.

"17s"?

For similar purposes (flight path, BARCAP) I'm just using TID repeater. It has the waypoints shown, so with the right range scale or even ground stabilised mode you can see everything clearly. Unlike 15, the waypoints in 14 are just different points, not connected into a flight plan. Deviation bar is only for TACAN here.

@RustBeltand what AWG-9 has to do with navigation?

Edited by draconus

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

19 minutes ago, draconus said:

"17s"?

He means Jf-17s

i7 - 9700K | 32 GB DDR4 3200 | RTX 2080 | VKB Gunfighter Mk II /w MCG Pro | Virpil T-50CM2 Throttle | TrackIR 5 | VKB Mk. IV

AJS-37 | A/V-8B | A-10C | F-14A/B | F-16C | F-18C | F-86F | FC3 | JF-17 | Ka-50 | L-39 | Mi-8 | MiG-15bis | MiG-19 | MiG-21bis | M2000-C | P-51D | Spitfire LF Mk. IX | UH-1H

JF-17, ie. a very mixed force without fighter-to-fighter links.

I use the TID too, and get Jester to put the bullseye in so it appears, but I find with a constant manoeuvring its difficult to see quickly where I am are. I also switch between ground and plane stab, but again a simple line wound help. I've not been able to get navgrid to work effectively.

'not connected into a flight plan' ... did it not have just a simple course to a waypoint. So what is the NATOPs screen showing that I posted? That is definitely distinct from TACAN in the doc.

With its emphasis on long over water flights, the 14 struck me as having a fairly sophisticated nav system for its time.

Edited by Kula66

59 minutes ago, Kula66 said:

'not connected into a flight plan' ... did it not have just a simple course to a waypoint. So what is the NATOPs screen showing that I posted? That is definitely distinct from TACAN in the doc.

The only course you select yourself for TACAN or MANUAL steering. Your NATOPS is not for our bird.

🖥️ Win10  i7-10700KF  32GB  RTX3060   🥽 Rift S   🕹️ T16000M  TWCS  TFRP   ✈️ FC3  F-14A/B  F-15E   ⚙️ CA   🚢 SC   🌐 NTTR  PG  Syria

20 hours ago, draconus said:

@RustBeltand what AWG-9 has to do with navigation?

It's the main computer for the entire aircraft. It's Radar, INS interface, Weapons Control, and Display system. Well technically the CDCADC component is, but the whole thing is referred to as the AWG-9 since it's all one big 40 pound hunk of Tape reel and ferrite core memory only slightly more advanced than the Apollo Guidance Computer.  4096 24 bit Words of Core memory, Microsecond speeds, 4 Index registers 16 interrupts   It doesn't have time to make a fixed course line. Especially if you want it to still run the radar and run TWS tracks. It takes 27 MICROseconds to perform a single Division. 

Edited by RustBelt

1 hour ago, RustBelt said:

It's the main computer for the entire aircraft. It's Radar, INS interface, Weapons Control, and Display system. Well technically the CDCADC component is, but the whole thing is referred to as the AWG-9 since it's all one big 40 pound hunk of Tape reel and ferrite core memory only slightly more advanced than the Apollo Guidance Computer.  4096 24 bit Words of Core memory, Microsecond speeds, 4 Index registers 16 interrupts   It doesn't have time to make a fixed course line. Especially if you want it to still run the radar and run TWS tracks. It takes 27 MICROseconds to perform a single Division. 

That's a quite revelation as every source counts AN/AWG-9 as Airborne Weapon Control System. According to JETDS naming it's: installed in Piloted Aircraft, type - Armament, purpose - Fire Control or Searchlight Directing.