Restart INS alignment

Limaro

Very often it happens to me, to start rolling before setting INS to NAV, or now IFA.

Then everything looks broken, and CV or GND alignment is not working again.

what shall I do then?

EDIT: To get a faster alignment than going IFA directly (8min). If not, can I just switch IFA and Start waiting for the 8min in the air?

Edited by Limaro

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

Are u aware that u can speed up INS alignment by pressing 'STD HDG' button on the HSI after setting INS into CV / GND align mode?
Gotta ask this - what keeps you from just holding it steady during the startup procedure?

Brrrrrrrrrrrt

I'd rather call in a Strike Eagle...

I7 6700K, MSI Z270 Gaming Pro Carbon, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaw V 3200, Inno3D GTX 1080, Samsung 970 Evo, Thrustmaster 1.6000M, TrackIr 5

Yes I am well aware. However, if you accidently move trhe plain just a little, before switching to IFA oder NAV, this STD HDG never apears again.

• Like 1

Windows 11 Pro 64Bit - AMD Ryzen 5800X3D - AMD 6900 XT - 64 GB RAM

VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Throttle, VPC WarBRD Base, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip

I see std hdg even after moving, and it even works which I dont think is what should happen.

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

I read somewhere if the plane moves at all since the last time it was parked/shut down STD HDG doesn't work anymore. I can't recall where I read that, it was on here somewhere I think. At which point I've always assumed a full alignment is your only option. Although I have found nothing to back that up, it's just how it works in my own head. I think STD HDG will work after you move but it won't be accurate. I have experienced the SA page and TACAN displaying planes locations where they are visually nowhere in sight. Also minor discrepancies between the heading tape and HSI. I believe this is from restarting alignment and or moving before it's complete. I can mess around with it in the morning, and report back. I'd test it out tonight but about to do a flight with the boys in about 15 minutes.

Nobody likes me because I'm unsafe.

Just now, KittyVCAW-1 said:

I read somewhere if the plane moves at all since the last time it was parked/shut down STD HDG doesn't work anymore. I can't recall where I read that, it was on here somewhere I think. At which point I've always assumed a full alignment is your only option. Although I have found nothing to back that up, it's just how it works in my own head. I think STD HDG will work after you move but it won't be accurate. I have experienced the SA page and TACAN displaying planes locations where they are visually nowhere in sight. Also minor discrepancies between the heading tape and HSI. I believe this is from restarting alignment and or moving before it's complete. I can mess around with it in the morning, and report back. I'd test it out tonight but about to do a flight with the boys in about 15 minutes.

Hi Kitty!

Like I said above yesterday, I found out that stored heading always works no matter what you do. 

Intel Core i5-8600k + Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | Gigabyte GTX 1070 Aorus 8G | 32GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance LPX Black 3200MHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 3 | WD Black SN750 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | WD Green 240GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 | WD Caviar Blue 500GB SATA 3 | EVGA 650 GQ 80+ Gold | Samsung CF391 Curved 32" | Corsair 400C | Steelseries Arctis 5 --- Razer Kraken X Lite | Logitech G305 | Redragon Dyaus 2 K509 | Xbox 360 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Thrustmaster TWCS | TrackIR 5

For me - I'm pretty sure I don't see std heading after moving - I find it very finicky - seems to be numerous things that I can do that will mess it up. That would make sense with my understanding on how it operates. (I'm in Stable Release, not OB - not sure if that's a factor)

• Like 1

If STD HDG alignment isn't available after moving, then this would be realistic, as the stored information that allow the aircraft to perform a fast alignment are tied to the position the aircraft is at and become obsolete once the aircraft moved.

In order to have STD HDG alignment available in the first place the jet would actually have to get prepared before startup, meaning the pilot or ground crew would need to power up the jet, perform an alignment, then shut it down again and don't move it untill takeoff. That's why STD HDG alignment is usally only used for jets on alarm duty, that are prepared to get airborne as quickly as possible to intercept someone.

Having the STD HDG option always available on a fresh startup in DCS is rather unrealistic. It's better modelled in the DCS F-14, as STD HDG is not available in the Tomcat by default, but can be enabled per aircraft in the mission editor, to simulate such a pre-flight preperation.

Edited by QuiGon
  • Like 1

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

16 hours ago, Joni said:

Hi Kitty!

Like I said above yesterday, I found out that stored heading always works no matter what you do. 

yeah i get it I was just saying I don't see why the button wouldn't be visible anymore it just would give you an inaccurate alignment if you pressed it after moving.

Nobody likes me because I'm unsafe.

On 12/7/2020 at 11:29 AM, Limaro said:

Very often it happens to me, to start rolling before setting INS to NAV, or now IFA.

Then everything looks broken, and CV or GND alignment is not working again.

what shall I do then?

To prevent this, you should ensure that the parking brake is set and wheel chocks are in place.

As for the realignment procedure - I've never had to perform this in the 18 while flying in DCS, but I'd hope it would work with IFA as that is a pretty crucial aspect of the aircraft systems/functionality.  In flight alignment works with the A10C, sorry I don't have another aircraft that I fly in which I can reference as the others have seen very limited flight time for me.

Cheers,

Ziptie

i7 6700 @4ghz, 32GB HyperX Fury ddr4-2133 ram, GTX980, Oculus Rift CV1, 2x1TB SSD drives (one solely for DCS OpenBeta standalone) Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Cougar MFDs

Airframes: A10C, A10CII, F/A-18C, F-14B, F-16C, UH=1H, FC3. Modules: Combined Arms, Supercarrier. Terrains: Persian Gulf, Nevada NTTR, Syria