Game killed my graphics card

I have a RX 5700 XT (mini 2 fan) graphics card (bought it new last month), and last night I was trying the game for the first time on low settings, and after spending an hour trying to launch an F-14 off the carrier the screen started glitching with artifacts, and the game crashed. Tried again and managed to mess with the SU-25 for about an hour when there was a beep, and the screen went blank. Tried restarting and nothing. The monitor wasn't getting a signal. I put in a GeForce 210 I happened to have and the computer started working again, so it looks like even on low settings the game was too big for the card (I wasn't overclocking either) and killed it. It's under warranty so hopefully MSI can repair it.

Did I make a mistake getting that card? Does anyone else use a RX 5700? How does it compare to a 1070?

Probably nothing to do with the game, just a bad card. It happens, games don't usually kill hardware.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

I was keeping tabs on it's temperatures with Open Hardware Monitor while playing the game, and the core temp would hover around 90 degrees Celsius, with the hotspot around 110 (max 113). Fans were at max speed. Should I just start saving up (it took me 3 months to assemble this computer piece by piece) and  get a 1070 or 1080 mini? (mini because my tower is a small one).

Not sure which core temp you're referring to, but whichever it is, temps hovered over 90 degrees C and higher? Which case is that? Sounds more like a hotbox design to push the cooling systems for testing..

DCS didn't kill your card, but horrible case cooling and/or ambient temps. Temperatures must be kept under 90, otherwise stuff will overheat and die (CPU can take higher temps and it will throttle itself down, but that's not recommended in the long run).

So, don't get another strong card till you fix that problem, otherwise it will quickly follow the Radeon to greener pastures.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Case has two 120mm fans (one pulling in on the front and one blowing out on the rear) and though it's a mini tower it has good flow. What does irk me is the fact the GC fans are facing down instead of up when you install the card (putting it just above the power supply). I'd think facing up would be better. And the 90c temp was for the main core. I tried 2 other games on it. One was a game that gives my laptop a workout, but on this computer the GC's fans barely increased in speed. Same for Team Fortress 2 which according to the AMD program I installed was getting 166fps.

When I get the card back I do have a spare fan I can try and rig up to give more flow under the card.

Edited by graywolf71

If the GPU fans are just above the PSU, perhaps they can't draw enough air to cool the GPU. Also, if there's no space for circulation of air there, I guess the GPU VRMs can get fried. It's hard to say without a photo or maybe the name of the case? Also, what is the ambient temperature roughly?

You could install MSI Afterburner or something similar to check the GPU temperatures, especially of the VRM area. But, given the high CPU temperatures, there does seem to be insufficient cooling at present for the CPU and perhaps high performance GPUs.

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Case is a Deepcool 30. The temperature in this house is around 69-71 degrees and I currently have it sitting in the middle of the floor while testing so the vents are completely unobstructed (since I don't have the card I can't get a photo).  The front fan is down low with the rear one at the top. I have Open Hardware Monitor as my main temperature monitor, but have AMD programs for both the CPU and GPU also.

OK, so when you get the video card back, perhaps you could run DCS again and check the GPU temps (both core and VRM)?

The case doesn't look that small. Which CPU cooler do you have to get its temperatures at 90 degrees C?

It's a AMD Wraith Prism which is actually better than the Wraith Stealth that came with my processor (the Prism originally came with a Ryzen 9 processor). I also removed the stock thermal compound and replaced it with arctic silver. I'll add 90 was the peak. mostly it hung around the 70's.

Aside from trying to cram another fan in the case, the only thing I can do is leave the side off (it's a glass side case).

Actually, I thought that it was a really great article. It had something for everyone, A lot of pictures for guys like me, but also excellent physics examples that tied into your points.

I especially enjoyed the poorly designed heater analogy. Poorly designed, but just as efficient at producing heat.

I may have missed it, but if your doing the math, the draw in watts is measured at the AC source before the power supply, as most power supplies are only around 70% efficient. So if you were drawing 525 watts from your 650 watt power supply, you would have to transfer/remove 750 watts of heat, or 750 joules per second from the case.

Again, great article,

Miles

Now shipping up to website Pre-Order Form date 2022/06/01

Pre-Order  Form Submission https://pointctrl.com/preorder-form/

PointCTRL Support Discord https://discord.gg/jH5FktJ

PintCTRL Website https://pointctrl.com/

PointCTRLsmall.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Well MSI is repairing my card. Could be until after the end of the year before it's back though, so I took a pic' of my computer and drew where the space the card takes up and the airflow. The drive cage is blocking the front intake fan a bit. I'm wondering if cutting out all but the part the storage SSD is on would help?  The only other thing I can see helping is cutting a hole in the case above the CPU and putting a 2nd exhaust fan there.

compairflowdiagram.JPG

Edited by graywolf71

• 3 weeks later...

Well I got the card back and tried again with both DCS and AC7, and same story on the temps, so I conceded and went and bought a Cougar MX330-G tower to replace the other one (which can hold a bigger graphics card and has room for 5 fans, plus the capability to use water coolers), and with everything switched the card is running a lot cooler. Core is around 65 and the hot spot/junction around 87. CPU around 67. Need to get 1 more fan for it (have 4) so it should improve a bit more.

P1400018.JPG

• Like 1