Bignewy's Reverb G2 settings for high frame rate

8 hours ago, VampireNZ said:

I am having an issue with the G2 and 6800 XT where it drops from 45 fps and locks to 30 fps which results in really bad ghosting/stutters etc. Frametime is still fine in the low teens so no reason to drop to 30, my previous 1080ti would happily sit locked to 45 fps with frametimes ranging from low teens to 20's and wouldn't drop below that 45.

What is making the 6800 XT drop below 45 to 30 when it doesn't neeed to, and how do I stop it? I have reprojection set to 'Motion Vector' in headset settings to ensure it is on, and to 'Global' in SteamVR, as if I set to 'Force Always-On' in per-application settings I still get FPS wandering around in the 50's etc, not locked to 45. Headset is set to 90 Hz in WMR and SteamVR. DCS pretty much unplayable with the G2 dropping to 30 fps all the time for no reason, so thinking of just going back to 1080ti and nVidia.

SteamVR.jpg

I have the exact same issues with my RX 6800 and Windows Mixed Reality. 

Ryzen 5 3600x @ GTX 1070 on Samsung Odyssey+

:joystick:

Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight Combat Rudder

Pedals, TrackIR 4 Pro

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all,   I am being asked a lot about my VR settings and how I am getting 90 FPS in VR These are my current settings, in busy multiplayer session it will go down to 45 FPS but is very

<cranky rant>  this poop hurts my head.  Settings in Mixed Reality Portal, Settings in SteamVR; both General and then Video for game specific.  Settings in Game.  Uncommenting a line (or maybe n

I disagree with almost everything said here.  However, we just go round and round on these kind of points, and I'm sure people are becoming very bored with it all. I know I am.  So, I won't go into an

Yea not sure what is going on , I don't think Steam reprojection with AMD 6000 cards is very good. In any case I mucked around with MSAA on then off then on again, and also reinstalled SteamVR and tried switching Motion Vector on and off a few times, then all of a sudden I was at 10ms all green sitting at 90 fps. Beats me.

Want to run with Motion Vector on and sit at a steady 45 fps but not if it decides it wants to drop to 30 fps all the time for no reason - unplayable mess. Sooner keep it at Auto and take the shudders as it swaps between 90 and 45. Hopefully SteamVR improves its reprojection with AMD cards in the future.

Asus Maximus VIII Hero Alpha| i7-6700K @ 4.60GHz | nVidia GTX 1080ti Strix OC 11GB @ 2075MHz| 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB 3200Mhz DDR4 CL14 |

Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2 SSD | Corsair Force LE 480GB SSD | Windows 10 64-Bit | TM Warthog with FSSB R3 Lighting Base | VKB Gunfighter Pro + MCG | TM MFD's | Oculus Rift S | Jetseat FSE

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

On 1/22/2021 at 10:26 AM, BIGNEWY said:

try disabling hotplug 

Hi,

Thanks so much for answering.  I've been playing with a lot of settings.  I've decided my stutters are do to frame time issues.  I'm now running at 100% steam resolution with the mixed reality portal rear projection on auto, with most of my settings on DCS pretty cranked, but no MSAA.  That drops frame rates to a static 45FPS, but it's practically perfect no jutters, or fps drops.  I am still seeing something I'm not sure about though.  My frame times have settled in around 13ms to 15(so orange), but my GPU usage on my 3080 sits around 65 percent, sometimes peaking at the low 70's.  It's very cool doesn't go above 63.  Do you think that should be ramping up higher, and could this be an NVIDIA control panel setting?

Thanks in advance, I've tried googling this of course but mostly it's people with 7 year old CPU's wondering why their FPS still sucks and their GPU's are underutilized.  

Hey also, do you run the shader packs that you can download?

4 minutes ago, L8Knight said:

Hi,

Thanks so much for answering.  I've been playing with a lot of settings.  I've decided my stutters are do to frame time issues.  I'm now running at 100% steam resolution with the mixed reality portal rear projection on auto, with most of my settings on DCS pretty cranked, but no MSAA.  That drops frame rates to a static 45FPS, but it's practically perfect no jutters, or fps drops.  I am still seeing something I'm not sure about though.  My frame times have settled in around 13ms to 15(so orange), but my GPU usage on my 3080 sits around 65 percent, sometimes peaking at the low 70's.  It's very cool doesn't go above 63.  Do you think that should be ramping up higher, and could this be an NVIDIA control panel setting?

Thanks in advance, I've tried googling this of course but mostly it's people with 7 year old CPU's wondering why their FPS still sucks and their GPU's are underutilized.  

Hey also, do you run the shader packs that you can download?

It sounds like you are doing pretty well, and around what I am seeing. I think now we have to continue to be patient and wait for multicore and vulkan support, fingers crossed it will make the difference. 

Thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 10 Pro x64, NVIDIA MSI RTX 2080Ti VENTUS GP, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 32GB DDR @3000, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

2 minutes ago, BIGNEWY said:

It sounds like you are doing pretty well, and around what I am seeing. I think now we have to continue to be patient and wait for multicore and vulkan support, fingers crossed it will make the difference. 

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time, see you up there!

• Like 1

Can someone please explain how Vulkan is going to make any difference to VR.  As I understand it, it is purely a CPU relieving tool (by introducing mulit-core), and this is not the issue.  I very rarely have CPU bound situations. In fact they are mostly just on the SC and in some other brief scenarios when flying over heavily populated airfields, etc..

Ramping up settings has an immediate effect on GPU resources/performance in DCS. Since I got the 3090 - which incidentally was a big step up from my 2080 Ti - I have obviously been able to put up a lot of settings, but it would be nice to do more, and that, AFAICS, will only be achieved by even more powerful GPUs in the future.

Maybe I'm missing a critical point here, but how is Vulkan going to help that?

Edited by imacken

Intel i9 10900K 5.1GHz · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-F Wi-Fi · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil WarBRD Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Grip · HP Reverb G2

5 minutes ago, imacken said:

Can someone please explain how Vulkan is going to make any difference to VR.  As I understand it, it is purely a CPU relieving tool (by introducing mulit-core), and this is not the issue.  I very rarely have CPU bound situations. In fact they are mostly just on the SC and in some other brief scenarios when flying over heavily populated airfields, etc..

Ramping up settings has an immediate effect on GPU resources/performance in DCS. Since I got the 3090 - which incidentally was a big step up from my 2080 Ti - I have obviously been able to put up a lot of settings, but it would be nice to do more, and that, AFAICS will only be achieved by even more powerful GPUs in the future.

Maybe I'm missing a critical point ere, but how is Vulkan going to help that?

Actually vulkan is a graphics API so has nothing to do with cpu use directly. There are some very good videos on youtube from Michael brown discussing xplanes change to vulkan. Worth noting that this doesn't directly apply to DCS as they do not use openGL which was pretty poor for VR really. 

Edited by Hoirtel
Just now, Hoirtel said:

Actually vulkan is a graphics API so has nothing to do with cpu use directly. There are some very good videos on youtube from Michael brown discussing the xplanes change to vulkan. Worth noting that this doesn't directly apply to DCS as they do not use openGL was was pretty poor for VR really. 

Really? That is interesting.  Certainly not what I have understood up until now.  So, how does the multi core aspect work in a graphics context?

Intel i9 10900K 5.1GHz · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 3090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z590-F Wi-Fi · Acer 4K 32" XB321HK · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 10 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · TrackIR5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil WarBRD Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Grip · HP Reverb G2

16 minutes ago, imacken said:

Really? That is interesting.  Certainly not what I have understood up until now.  So, how does the multi core aspect work in a graphics context?

Pass. I'm no expert I'm afraid. Just looked into it a while ago when it was first brought up and through my experience with xplane. I see BN said that we are waiting (patiently) for vulkan and multicore, so probably two different types of engine upgrade. Maybe they are looking to split up the graphics rendering from all the other calculations. Just guessing now though...

Yep, my inital viewings on some videos make me think it's a CPU based method of calculating and distributing shaders/textures to VRAM in a much more efficient way by doing advance calculations on background cores/threads and sending them directly to VRAM.

I could be completely wrong, of course!

8 minutes ago, freehand said:

Not every one has a high end CPU so hopefully will help many people.

+1