Omegatau Podcast - DCS Complexity

wilbur81

Hey, all.

If you haven't already, do yourself a BIG favor and check out Markus' Science & Engineering podcast: https://omegataupodcast.net/333-flying-and-simulating-the-f-14-tomcat/

This particular episode is about the Tomcat, but starting at 02:33:31 you get to hear from the Heatblur team. It will give you some more HUGE respect for the complexity of DCS and what an INCREDIBLE simulation we have on our hands! I don't even own the Tomcat (I don't have time to be excellent in more than one DCS airframe so the Hornet is my Jam), but what an amazing airplane and what an amazing simulation. 

• Like 7

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Flyingeagle357 said:

I think respect has nothing to do with complexity. I respect the janitor at my office as much as the CEO, even though I consider his job less complex technically. I also respect the CEO, even though his job complexity is nothing compared to a surgeon or even an oil rig engineer.

As per DCS, it is not a simulator. Systems aren't simulated in DCS but rather emulated. This might be that part of the DCS simplicity that create complex challenges when you want to emulate reality. Anyways, complexity has rarely been a show stopper in DCS, it is most likely their controversial product management decisions that put them in tough spot. For example, justifying the roadmap that was never focused on improving red team air vehicles.

They released the KA-50 without an rwr for people to play online....Fanboys probably said it was too complex and not possible at the time, but now that they want to make it a payware update, it makes it easy to connect the dots...

You're silly... listen to the podcast.

Edited by wilbur81
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Flyingeagle357 said:

You're an imbecile. Read my post.

and you are the type of person I like to avoid, thank god for the ignore facility of this Forum.

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

And here's a really good episode on the F-15:

https://omegataupodcast.net/224-flying-the-f-15-eagle/

And the F-16:

https://omegataupodcast.net/251-flying-the-f-16-viper/

And the F-35:

https://omegataupodcast.net/343-flying-and-testing-the-f-35/

Seriously, Markus' interviews provide an amazing, in depth, and fun (Especially Jeff Fellmeth's Eagle Interview) perspective on the jets. And the BEST part about each episode: They're nice and long.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I just finished listening to the F-14 episode and really enjoyed all three parts.  I especially enjoyed getting a glimpse into how the sausage is made with the Heatblur interview.  Hearing the team members speak really hammers home the extreme complexity of the F-14 module and how it is such a labor of love for these guys.  I mean, they're not doing it for the money and certainly not for the armchair pilot critiques from these forums :).  One especially interesting thing I learned about the team was the varied backgrounds of each member.  PhD in artificial intelligence, EEs, and theater/stage director in the case of Alex (IronMike?).

Their enthusiasm and dedication to creating the best product possible is clearly evident.  I heard the same kind of pride and excitement in Matt Wagner's voice in his appearance on the Fighter Pilot Podcast.  I remember seeing the same kind of developer and community excitement with Flanker 1.x/2.x, Falcon 4.0, Jane's, et al.  Unfortunately all the excitement in the world couldn't save the hardcore combat flight sim from going virtually extinct.  Let's hope that doesn't happen again.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Smashy said:

Their enthusiasm and dedication to creating the best product possible is clearly evident.  I heard the same kind of pride and excitement in Matt Wagner's voice in his appearance on the Fighter Pilot Podcast.  

SO true! ED, Heatblur, etc. are operating on a whole other level. It's quite astonishing how spoiled we are. 👍