Help merging with AI F-16

Doc3908

I've been trying to practice merging in close with AI-controlled aircraft (F-15, F-16, F-18)  in a Su-27 armed only with a pair of R73s. I started with the bandit armed with two AIM120Cs and two AIM9Ms, and eventually switched to four AIM120Cs and two AIM9Ms. The initial separation is 24km and I vary the initial altitude. The AI is set to "veteran".

It's easy at low altitude (6000ft), because the AI F-16 holds off firing his AMRAAM until he is 13km away, so I can easily f-pole and by then I'm close enough to engage him with the R-73s.  

At 25000ft, he fires immediately, and that's easily f-poled. Then he fires again at about 13km, and I reverse away from the missile and dive for the deck, dragging the missile into the ground (my radar is off by then). The problem is that now I'm on the deck doing mach 1.2 (and decreasing), while the bandit F-16 is till up high, chasing me at mach 1.4+ and soon closes to about 6km. I try hiding in the hills but he's usually has no problem finding me and sending another AIM120C my way from above at a distance of 4km or less. I've gotten lucky a few times and evaded the third missile, but then comes the fourth AIM120C... 

In about 10-12 engagements, I've managed to kill him 3 times and only because he closed in and tried firing the AIM9s instead of the AIM120C. Once we are merged and I have visual on him, I have no problem. But after the second or third AIM120, I have no idea where that F-16 is (usually up high). I play VR, so I have to physically turn around and scan the sky for him and the resolution of my Oculus is pretty bad. By the time I see him again, there's another AMRAAM coming my way at close range...

Any ideas about how I can improve the odds (other than loading up R27s...)? I can post tacview vids of different engagements if needed.

You already have your answer. If you insist on fighting with both arms tied behind your back, then get him down to 6000 feet before you truly engage.

An alternative is to fly with the purpose of wasting all his long-range missiles before you engage. Don’t fly to get close until it’s safe to do so.

Edited by Ironhand

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.

4 hours ago, Ironhand said:

You already have your answer. If you insist on fighting with both arms tied behind your back, then get him down to 6000 feet before you truly engage.

An alternative is to fly with the purpose of wasting all his long-range missiles before you engage. Don’t fly to get close until it’s safe to do so.

Thanks, Ironhand! Yeah, that's kinda what I'm trying to do. After defeating the second AIM120, I start climbing slowly to about 1800-2000m, keeping my speed as high as possible. Then I turn sideways to the bandit for a few seconds. As soon as he fires his AMRAAM, I reverse, drop all kinds of chaff and head for the deck. It's worked a couple of times, but the timing has to be perfect because the bandit is firing at 6-7km range and that AIM120 accelerates initially to mach 3.5, while I'm down to mach 1.05-1.1. By then, the distance between me and the bandit has shrunk to 4km or less, and he goes for his AIM9s, which I usually can deal with (haven't tried the AIM9X, though). 

How do I force the AI to come down low??

You won't force him down. But you'll draw him down. Your first maneuver should be a slice in the direction opposite his turn away. Don't drive but, rather, angle down toward 2000 meters. You want to arrive there by the time you defeat the second missile. He'll be following you down by then.

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCU1...CR6IZ7crfdZxDg

_____

Win 10 Pro x64, ASUS Z97 Pro MoBo, Intel i7-4790K, EVGA GTX 970 4GB, HyperX Savage 32GB, Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD, 2x Seagate Hybrid Drive 2TB Raid 0.