Mouse Cursor Issue in VR (HP Reverb G2)

Toastie

Greetings,

I've recently got my hands on an HP Reverb G2 and have been gradually finding an optimal setup in DCS (given my now 'old' GTX1080), but I have been increasingly frustrated by the behaviour of the mouse in VR. 

The behaviour: with the HMD resting on my head and looking at my monitor, I can see the mouse can be moved around the cockpit of the aircraft, or the menus and can select buttons etc. If I take the headset off my head and look into the HMD's displays, I can see that the displays are mirroring the behaviour I see on screen. BUT as soon as I fit the HMD on my head with my eyes into the gasket, the mouse cursor stops functioning and even disappears. If I then remove the HMD, I see that the mouse is still working in the cockpit on the monitor.

What I've tried:

1) Toggling Use Mouse

2) Toggling Confine cursor to game window

3) Toggling Alt-Enter

4) Toggling Win+Y (as WMR suggests)

5) Multiple game and PC restarts with different configurations of the above.

I've had a look for reports of the same behaviour and haven't found anything. Would be grateful for some advice.

Edit: Right after posting this, I gave it another shot and it seemed to work okay, but as soon as I alt-tabbed out to start Voice Attack, it all went back to how it was before and I wasn't able to restore the game window focus, such that the mouse worked ok.

Cheers,

R

Edited by Razvedchik

I'm not sure if this is a DCS bug, steam VR bug, or Windows Mixed Reality bug, but the only fix is to exit DCS, CLOSE steamvr and windows mixed reality, and then restart it and start DCS back up.

It's something to do with the mouse cursor in DCS losing track of focus. At any rate, as I said there's a workaround which is close out windows mixed reality and restart it.

Winkey +Y typically works for me.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

i've had exactly the same issue...

The fix for me was to activate one of the hand controllers and then press the windows button (on the hand controller) to bring up the windows vr overlay menu. Immediately press again to close  - and then all works normally with the mouse pointer for the remainder of the session. Only need to do this once for the first time after a cold start or restart of my pc.

Edited by FP Bumblebee_UK
  • Thanks 1

On 12/6/2020 at 1:22 PM, Razvedchik said:

Edit: Right after posting this, I gave it another shot and it seemed to work okay, but as soon as I alt-tabbed out to start Voice Attack, it all went back to how it was before and I wasn't able to restore the game window focus, such that the mouse worked ok.

Try to run everything from Cliff House.  Put on your G2 and run everything - DCS, VA, etc. - from a desktop window in WMR.  In my experience, as long as you do that, you won't see any issues.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Sorry, set what on manual?

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Thanks. I see, you're talking about Input Switching. That wasn't clear.

Can you explain how that helps, as when I tried that setting some time ago, it was a pain to have to manually load WMR Portal and I couldn't see any benefit.

i must be missing something, I guess.

4) Toggling Win+Y (as WMR suggests)

Works only if you tap out of DCS and have WMR as active window. I was highly annoyed by that and WMR also tends to switch this setting back when you play DCS.

I got rid of that problem by setting it to manually. The WMR portal starts when i start SteamVR or when i plug in the HMD.

FC3 | F-14A/B | F-16C | SA342  R5 5600X | 32GB | RX 6800XT | TM Cougar | T-Rudder mk.IV | HP Reverb G2

Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle USB standalone MOD

I just don't have any of these issues.  I just alt-tab to other apps if I need to, and then when I put the HMD back on, a simple mouse click brings the VR window back to active.

My HMD is always plugged in, and I like that WMR starts when I put it on.  I don't want SteamVR to load WMR, as that can cause issues with WMR sync at times and loss of 6DOF. IMO, it is always best to run all apps from within WMR.  I have never had an issue using that method.

But, as with all these things, just down to personal preference.  What works for us is what is best for us!

12 minutes ago, imacken said:

I just don't have any of these issues.  I just alt-tab to other apps if I need to, and then when I put the HMD back on, a simple mouse click brings the VR window back to active.

My HMD is always plugged in, and I like that WMR starts when I put it on.  I don't want SteamVR to load WMR, as that can cause issues with WMR sync at times and loss of 6DOF. IMO, it is always best to run all apps from within WMR.  I have never had an issue using that method.

But, as with all these things, just down to personal preference.  What works for us is what is best for us!

When I first put headset on Windows MR starts. I normally close that, then launch WMR for Steam VR. Once that is up I then launch the game.

So is there really no need for me to first close WMR that auto loads and then launch WMR for Steam VR?

Edited by dburne

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

No need at all. I have a desktop window greeting me in Cliff House whenever I put on the headset. Then, I just click on DCS launch (in Skatezilla's indispensable utility) and I'm good to go!

19 minutes ago, imacken said:

No need at all. I have a desktop window greeting me in Cliff House whenever I put on the headset. Then, I just click on DCS launch (in Skatezilla's indispensable utility) and I'm good to go!

Ok thanks will play around a little with it.

Don B

• 1 month later...

OP I had the same problem. The solution was:

• Open Windows10 Settings->Mixed Reality->Headset Display and set Input Switching to Manually switch using Windows logo key + y. Otherwise, the system uses the light sensor inside the Reverb and it assumes that when you have the reverb on you don't want to use the mouse. You can override this by lifting your headset and doing ALT+TAB to select WMR and then Win-Y, then switch back to DCS but who wants to do all this.
  • Then set DCS VR options to use mouse and limit mouse to app window. With this setting, the green cross hair disappears after a few seconds and it doesn't interefere with my view when i'm flying around. But if I move the mouse, the green cursor appears and you can select switches with your head for the general direction and the mouse for the precise switch. Works great.

Also, a side note. If you fly at night, I recommend to disable the 'blooming' effect in the VR panel. This makes the green crosshair cursor and the tooltips on the switches to have a halo around them, which makes it look like the headset lenses are dirty. If you turn off blooming, this goes away and the cursor looks much better when the cockpit is dark.

[Maximus XIII Hero] [i9-11900K (5.5Ghz)] [RTX3090] [128GB G.Skill @3800Mhz] [Samsung 980Pro] [Index/G2/8K+/8KX/VP2]

15 hours ago, PicklePicklePickle said:

OP I had the same problem. The solution was:

• Open Windows10 Settings->Mixed Reality->Headset Display and set Input Switching to Manually switch using Windows logo key + y. Otherwise, the system uses the light sensor inside the Reverb and it assumes that when you have the reverb on you don't want to use the mouse. You can override this by lifting your headset and doing ALT+TAB to select WMR and then Win-Y, then switch back to DCS but who wants to do all this.

That may work - haven't tried as I don't have the issue - but I can't agree about 'assuming... you don't want to use the mouse' bit.  I have used WMR for well over a year now G1/G2 and I have no issues with using the mouse in WMR Cliff house.  I just put on the headset, CH loads, then with my mouse, I manipulate windows etc. - including starting DCS from a desktop windows icon - without any issues.

3 hours ago, imacken said:

That may work - haven't tried as I don't have the issue - but I can't agree about 'assuming... you don't want to use the mouse' bit.  I have used WMR for well over a year now G1/G2 and I have no issues with using the mouse in WMR Cliff house.  I just put on the headset, CH loads, then with my mouse, I manipulate windows etc. - including starting DCS from a desktop windows icon - without any issues.

Since I have habitually avoided the cliff house, how specifically would I get the desktop or DCS icon to show up there? My CH has game demos, as well as  wall panels for email and video viewing, etc., but no desktop.

6 minutes ago, Habu_69 said:

Since I have habitually avoided the cliff house, how specifically would I get the desktop or DCS icon to show up there? My CH has game demos, as well as  wall panels for email and video viewing, etc., but no desktop.

You just open a desktop window whenever you appear in CH. It remains there every time you launch CH.

My guaranteed (for me, at least) steps to a trouble free DCS launch are - 

1) put on headset

2) let it sync if requested (left/right/down) when WMR loads

3) CH appears

4) click on DCS desktop icon from a desktop window.

That way, I never have any DOF issues or mouse control issues.  I have found that if I run DCS from a monitor icon, then I have had problems from time to time.

Sorry, I assumed you would know how to get a desktop window showing in CH. 

6 hours ago, imacken said:

I don't think you're wrong, let me clarify what I meant. With the default Windows setting that lets WMR use the Reverb sensor, and with WMR Portal closed, I start (standalone DCS, manually  added to Steam) DCS from the Steam tray menu(I don't use cliffhouse). This automatically starts WMR(without cliff house) and Steam VR as well as DCS. I then put on my Reverb G2 and windows detects that I put on the headset through the sensor and disables the mouse in DCS. I think this is different from whether or not the mouse works in WMR/Cliff House. In order to make the mouse work in DCS I had to do one of 2 things:

• Either take the headset off, ALT+TAB to WMR, press Win+Y, then go back to DCS, put headset back on
  • Or disable the Win+Y auto detection in Windows Mixed Reality settings.

Anyway, just my personal experience, it might work different elsewhere. DCS+VR+Windows isn't exactly a paragon of consistency across systems. 🙂

Edited by PicklePicklePickle

[Maximus XIII Hero] [i9-11900K (5.5Ghz)] [RTX3090] [128GB G.Skill @3800Mhz] [Samsung 980Pro] [Index/G2/8K+/8KX/VP2]

I personally believe you’re making it more complicated than it needs to be. It is not my experience that your process makes the mouse disabled in DCS. I have none of these issues. 
However, over quite a long period of time, the process I laid out above, works 100% perfectly for me anyway. 
You say you don’t load WMR portal/CH, but I’m pretty sure it is always in the background. Press the Windows button on your controller to check. 
Having said all that, whatever works for you is what is right for you!

• 6 months later...