Navflir hotspot

Dr Zaius

Given that the harrier is deemed feature complete now does that mean the navflir hotspot feature has been given up on or is it reliant on ED doing something to the game engine in order to make it work, either way an update on this feature would be good please?

Thanks

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

I'm not holding my breath for the hotspot detector. Last I heard, after FLIR is reworked by ED Razbam was going to consider it. All that sounds very nebulous and far away and I bet Razbam will be deep into the F-15E if or when FLIR is ever really reworked.

Virpil WarBRD | Thrustmaster Hornet Grip | Foxx Mount | Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle | Logitech G Throttle Quadrant | VKB T-Rudder IV | TrackIR 5

AMD Ryzen 5 3600 | Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | 32GB DDR4 3200 | SSD

ED has already enabled a feature that's very similar to the NAVFLIR Hotspot using the A10C II HMCS, that's able to show little v's when ground units are using data link, surley that feature can be 'borrowed' and made to work on the harrier - in fact iirc the AV8BNA Pocket Guide alludes to this feature as only being able to detect active (AI or player controlled) vehicles so all that's needed is a bit of code (I'm no programmer and may be over simplifying this a little) that applies data links to all vehicles but filtered differently so that the little v icons only show up on Harrier HUD's, that could be a workaround to simulate the NAVFLIR Hotspot without the need to start from scratch - is that possible you think?    

Edited by Dr Zaius

System Specs: Intel Core i9-9900K 3.6GHz @ 4.8GHz, Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master, 32 GB G.Skill Trident Z DDR4-3600 RAM, GeForce GTX 4090, Crucial SSD (750 GB), TrackIR 5, TMWH, TM T-Flight Rudder Pedals, Samsung 49” Odyssey G9

• 1 month later...
On 12/8/2020 at 2:47 AM, Dr Zaius said:

ED has already enabled a feature that's very similar to the NAVFLIR Hotspot using the A10C II HMCS, that's able to show little x's when ground units are using data link, surley that feature can be 'borrowed' and made to work on the harrier - in fact iirc the AV8BNA Pocket Guide alludes to this feature as only being able to detect active (AI or player controlled) vehicles so all that's needed is a bit of code (I'm no programmer and may be over simplifying this a little) that applies data links to all vehicles but filtered differently so that the little x icons only show up on Harrier HUD's, that could be a workaround to simulate the NAVFLIR Hotspot without the need to start from scratch - is that possible you think?    

Razbam would have already done the FLIR hotspot carrots but the problems were back then (as even still today) that the game engine does not report anything else than ground units and buildings ID when "alive". So dead vehicles (burning ones) wouldn't appear. Neither would any heat source as the terrain, trees etc doesn't generate anything that could be visually presented in HUD.

Razbam could have done it but you would have always seen the carrots from all vehicles and nothing else. The only other solution would have been to implenent a false positives randomly then on the HUD, but that would still not make sense that randomly something gets detected with it, and randomly carrots are placed on HUD.

But now we are getting new FLIR where everything should get their own IR signature that should be generated depending various means, like cool in time at night, heat when sun comes up, vehicles are cold if not operated for long times and gets cool when engine is not running constantly, wheels cold when not moving etc.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

33 minutes ago, Fri13 said:

Razbam would have already done the FLIR hotspot carrots but the problems were back then (as even still today) that the game engine does not report anything else than ground units and buildings ID when "alive". So dead vehicles (burning ones) wouldn't appear. Neither would any heat source as the terrain, trees etc doesn't generate anything that could be visually presented in HUD.

Razbam could have done it but you would have always seen the carrots from all vehicles and nothing else. The only other solution would have been to implenent a false positives randomly then on the HUD, but that would still not make sense that randomly something gets detected with it, and randomly carrots are placed on HUD.

But now we are getting new FLIR where everything should get their own IR signature that should be generated depending various means, like cool in time at night, heat when sun comes up, vehicles are cold if not operated for long times and gets cool when engine is not running constantly, wheels cold when not moving etc.

Hopefully I’m wrong but I very much doubt the new FLIR will ever be that complex, my previous suggestion was more an attempt to highlight a possible workaround, a quick easy fix that could potentially indicate ‘active’ vehicles, I'm really not that bothered if the system doesn't pick up anything else, thinking about it I’d prefer that it didn't.

vor 58 Minuten schrieb Dr Zaius:

Hopefully I’m wrong but I very much doubt the new FLIR will ever be that complex, my previous suggestion was more an attempt to highlight a possible workaround, a quick easy fix that could potentially indicate ‘active’ vehicles, I'm really not that bothered if the system doesn't pick up anything else, thinking about it I’d prefer that it didn't.

yeah but that would be pretty much a cheat that would directly point out 100% of all targets thats in your line of sight. if you want that, that is alrdy in the game and is called ‚Labels‘

31 minutes ago, Wisky said:

yeah but that would be pretty much a cheat that would directly point out 100% of all targets thats in your line of sight. if you want that, that is alrdy in the game and is called ‚Labels‘

Its hardly the same though is it, one is a simple hud icon indicator for vehicles only, the other is a friend or foe colour coded label that details what the unit is along with its distance. If you want it to pick up every single heat source then the system pretty much becomes a moot point.

1 hour ago, Wisky said:

... that would be pretty much a cheat that would directly point out 100% of all targets thats in your line of sight. if you want that, that is alrdy in the game and is called ‚Labels‘

The hot spot tracker has a short < 3nm range, so is hardly equivalent of "labels", it'd be closer to the Su-27's IRST (but with much shorter range) which has been part of DCS for a long time.

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080