Please add more liveries for the Hornet

CanopyJettison

in order for skins to be seen in multiplayer, every player on the server needs to have the skins installed on their machine. I think that's what he means. For the record we have enough IMO. They all look the same at 1000Knts closure anyway, a grey blur.

Nobody likes me because I'm unsafe.

9 hours ago, KittyVCAW-1 said:

in order for skins to be seen in multiplayer, every player on the server needs to have the skins installed on their machine. I think that's what he means. For the record we have enough IMO. They all look the same at 1000Knts closure anyway, a grey blur.

They don't look like a gray blur when in formation or on the crowded deck of the carrier, where a large chunk of the immersion experience happens.

As I've said on other threads like this, if immersion is sought after by having the same liveries etc, this means that the concerned party is a squadron and squadrons often make their own liveries or choose an existing one. If we're talking about general MP, everyone will pick whatever livery they want anyway, so why does it matter? You could end up with 10 different squadron liveries on the deck, from different carrier wings and time periods. How does this increase immersion?

• Like 3

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

On 12/10/2020 at 10:26 PM, Harker said:

As I've said on other threads like this, if immersion is sought after by having the same liveries etc, this means that the concerned party is a squadron and squadrons often make their own liveries or choose an existing one. If we're talking about general MP, everyone will pick whatever livery they want anyway, so why does it matter? 

That's a false assumption. Many concerned parties are people who play on single-player and want an immersive experience when on the deck of the carrier. Another concerned party is content creators looking to make realistic cinematics.

On 12/10/2020 at 10:26 PM, Harker said:

You could end up with 10 different squadron liveries on the deck, from different carrier wings and time periods. How does this increase immersion?

That kills immersion. That's the whole point of this discussion. 

2 hours ago, Nealius said:

That's a false assumption. Many concerned parties are people who play on single-player and want an immersive experience when on the deck of the carrier. Another concerned party is content creators looking to make realistic cinematics.

That kills immersion. That's the whole point of this discussion. 

I get the SP argument, but I'll support the livery creation to the point that each carrier has one time-accurate carrier wing, not more. If players want that specific squadron's livery, it's up to them to download or make it.

For the MP argument, I don't get it. How are you going to make sure than every random player on an open server selects the correct livery?

• Like 1

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

5 hours ago, Harker said:

I get the SP argument, but I'll support the livery creation to the point that each carrier has one time-accurate carrier wing, not more. If players want that specific squadron's livery, it's up to them to download or make it.

For the MP argument, I don't get it. How are you going to make sure than every random player on an open server selects the correct livery?

I agree with this. Squadrons change air wings quite often over the years. If we even wanted to do a full air wing for the 2005 timeframe, we'd need E/F Super Hornets, Super Tomcats, or other carrier classes that aren't in DCS.

Want to make a 2005 CVW-5? Missing USS Kitty Hawk and Super Hornets for VFA-102 and VFA-27.

Want to make a 2005 CVW-1? Missing USS Enterprise and Super Hornets for VF-211.

The Hornet's 2005 time frame makes things difficult to plan out for liveries since the Tomcat was retired in '06, and Super Hornets began deployments in '04 '02. So what year do we stick with to make a full CVW? This is where things get a bit out of whack.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

8 minutes ago, Tholozor said:

I agree with this. Squadrons change air wings quite often over the years. If we even wanted to do a full air wing for the 2005 timeframe, we'd need E/F Super Hornets, Super Tomcats, or other carrier classes that aren't in DCS.

Want to make a 2005 CVW-5? Missing USS Kitty Hawk and Super Hornets for VFA-102 and VFA-27.

The Hornet's 2005 time frame makes things difficult to plan out for liveries since the Tomcat was retired in '06, and Super Hornets began deployments in '04. So what year do we stick with to make a full CVW? This is where things get a bit out of whack.

Correct! It is frustrating that nothing really lines up but is kind of flexible. Hate to be that guy but it was 2002 for the first Super Hornet Deployment. VFA-115 and the Lincoln with CAG 14. I like to focus on a time without Super Hornets in DCS. Let's not forget, we have an E-2D that was not operational back in 2005, so it's all over the place. Can't wait until the Forrestal comes online. Personally, I prefer old school Naval Aviation.

• Like 1

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

1 hour ago, Jackjack171 said:

Hate to be that guy but it was 2002 for the first Super Hornet Deployment.

Ah yup, that's right, missed that on my chart, thanks. After 115 I believe it was VFA-41 and 14 that got Supers on Nimitz for the '03 deployment with CVW-11, then they started going en masse in '04.

Anyway, back to the main topic. I know it's not the answer the OP wants, but given the lack of specific assets in DCS, a full CVW isn't really feasible. There's plenty of decent liveries in User Files (I even made one for VFA-136 c.2007), if you and your flight want to look a part, put in what effort is needed to make that happen. The only real CVW one could make for the Hornet's 2005 timeframe in DCS is CVW-3 on CVN-75 (VF-32 w/ 14B, VMFA-115 w/ 18A+, VFA-37 and -105 w/ 18C, out of those the only one not native in DCS is VMFA-115, and there's an excellent livery in User Files). And even then we still have the wrong Hawkeye, no Prowlers, old as dirt Seahawk and Viking models, and no Greyhound (except in the Military Aircraft Mod).

Edited by Tholozor
  • Like 1

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

I see lots of cop-out arguments to avoid fixing the problem. 

8 hours ago, Harker said:

each carrier has one time-accurate carrier wing, not more. 

That is factually false if you bothered to do any research. See for yourself: http://www.gonavy.jp/AirWingsf.html

If players want that specific squadron's livery, it's up to them to download or make it.

The problem is that many of the liveries we need don't even exist on the user files. "It's up to them to make it" is pure gatekeeping, because not everyone has the software or skills to create liveries.

Edited by Nealius

5 hours ago, Tholozor said:

The Hornet's 2005 time frame makes things difficult to plan out for liveries since the Tomcat was retired in '06, and Super Hornets began deployments in '04 '02. So what year do we stick with to make a full CVW? This is where things get a bit out of whack.

That's the reason we went with a 2002 timeframe for our group, instead of 2005 and choose the CVW-17. It has the CVN-73, three F/A-18C squadrons and one F-14B squadron and the rest of the assets we create liveries for ourselves. If we use the Military Aircraft Mod, we only miss the EA-6B. Honestly, I feel like that's the closest we can be in recreating a full CVW right now. It's certainly not easy to get there though and it required quite a bit of research, because we didn't want to go back in time too much, else our Hornet would be too much out of place. The lack of the F/A-18E/F and F-14D make this type of research difficult, if you want to have a full CVW.

50 minutes ago, Nealius said:

I see lots of cop-out arguments to avoid fixing the problem.

I'm not trying to avoid fixing anything and even more, it's not up to me to fix it, I'm just giving my opinion on a wishlist thread.

That is factually false if you bothered to do any research. See for yourself: http://www.gonavy.jp/AirWingsf.html

I think you misunderstood what I said. I didn't imply that IRL each carrier only has had one specific CVW. I meant that, in DCS, ED should provide liveries for one complete CVW, for each carrier in the game and the liveries should be from the same year. I'm going to use my comment above as an example.
CVN-73: CVW-17, circa 2002

• All liveries should be from 2002, tail code AA
  • F/A-18C: VFA-34, VFA-81, VFA-83
  • F-14B: VF-103
  • E-2D: VAW-125 (as E-2C)
  • S-3B: VS-30
  • SH-60: HS-15 (as SH-60F, missing the HH-60H)
  • (C-2A: VRC-40)
  • (EA-6B: VAQ-132)

I would like to see that list or a list like this in the game, alongside other lists for the other carriers in the game, to the extent possible (maybe a carrier can't get a full period-accurate CVW, because they had Super Hornets). That gives the possibility to have an accurate CVW, on its own carrier (even if a squadron is missing). That's what I'm saying. It's better to have consistent, thought out livery lists like this, instead of random squadron liveries that don't match together. And at the same time, I want to avoid having every single squadron livery on my SSD.

The problem is that many of the liveries we need don't even exist on the user files. "It's up to them to make it" is pure gatekeeping, because not everyone has the software or skills to create liveries.

It's not gatekeeping, it's how modding works, by its very nature. It's user-created, unofficial content. If you want unofficial content, you either make it yourself or you find it online, if it's been made by others. Also, everyone is going to have different liveries they need, for their different ideas about CVWs, time periods etc. This creates an endless problem and the only way to solve it is for ED (and HB for the F-14) to make every single squadron livery - a solution which is not feasible.

-

BTW, I find it very strange that ED chose to model the post-RCOH versions of the CVN-71 (RCOH finished in 2013) and CVN-72 (RCOH finished in 2017). They are 2013 and 2017 ships, and neither our 2005ish Hornet or the Tomcat are modern enough to go on them. The CVN-68 and 69 are the only carriers that went through their RCOH early enough to tie in well with the rest of the naval aviation assets we have. IMO, if they wanted to give us post-RCOH carriers, they should've given us those.

-

We could also do CVW-1 during the '01-'02 deployment on CVN-71:

• F-14B: VF-102
  • F/A-18C: VMFA-251, VFA-82, VFA-86
  • EA-6B: VAQ-137
  • E-2C: VAW-123
  • SH-60F/HH-60H: HS-11
  • S-3B: VS-32
  • C-2A: VRC-40 Det 2

Or CVW-9 on CVN-74:

• F-14A: VF-211
  • F/A-18C: VMFA-314, VFA-146, VFA-147
  • EA-6B: VAQ-138
  • E-2C: VAW-112
  • SH-60F/HH-60H: HS-8
  • S-3B: VS-33
  • C-2A: VRC-30 Det 4

Things just line up better once you get to the first few deployments after the start of GWOT.

It would be interesting if ED could potentially add additional sections to the Hornet model for transparency textures. Instead of having to make an entire new texture just to add the name of a carrier or BuNo, it could easily be adjusted in a small transparent texture file just like the Modex numbers. The Arleigh Burke is a great example of this, both the hull number and ship name on the aft aren't even part of the primary hull texture. I got liveries of every ship in class (51 to 119 excluding 118) to fit into ~8MB of space. That's some serious optimization that other models could be taking advantage of. The only problem I can foresee would be CAG aircraft since those paint jobs change over the years, so line aircraft would probably be the best option for something like that.

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor

• 4 weeks later...

You couldn't do a full CVW-9 on the Stennis. You'd have to omit the Black Knights because we don't have any liveries for them with the NG tail.

CVW-1 is also iffy because the VFA-82 and -86 liveries are not correct for the year, mainly with the wrong ship names on them. If livery creators would omit the ship names, it would make liveries more flexible for use across mutiple deployments.

Edited by Nealius

Hey guys,

i wondered if we are getting any new Skins for the F/A-18 soon or later?

There are a few Navy LO-Vis Skins that do not have a HI-Vis counterpart like most Marines Skins have.

I would also like a some classics like the vfa 195 for example.

Downloading those skins is kinda buggy in Multiplayer so i would like to have them ingame. 

And do we get the ATFLIR Pod or is it canceled?

Thanks a lot and a happy new year.

Stay safe

• 2 weeks later...

I have about 12 GB of Hornet Liveries from User Files and from the forum here.

Although i want always more i think there is a lot of liveries available for the Hornet....

But i get your point, you want default liveries so everyone can see the liveries in Multiplayer without downloading them too.

EDIT: not 12GB of Hornet Liveries but 23GB....

F.

Edited by fagulha
  • Thanks 1

- "Don't be John Wayne in the Break if you´re going to be Jerry Lewis on the Ball".

About carrier ops: "The younger pilots are still quite capable of holding their heads forward against the forces. The older ones have been doing this too long and know better; sore necks make for poor sleep.'

PC: I7 4790K 4.6ghz | 32GB RAM | Zotac GTX 1080Ti 11Gb DDR5x | Water cooler NZXT AIO Kraken x53 | 3.5TB (x4 SSD´s) | Valve Index| Andre´s JeatSeat.

This....I don’t think it’s about livery availability I think it’s about more options in vanilla, which should fix the MP part.

ED doesn’t even need to do the work, find the high quality user ones, contact the maker for permission, and do their magic to include them in the next update. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i9-9900k, Asus ROG Strix Z390-3, 32GB DDR4-3000, MSI GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD| Reverb G2| Custom Simpit- A variety of grips (TM/Virpil) on floor mounted TM Base, WinWing Super Tauris Throttles, Virpil Collective, TM Pedals, TM MFDs

Paid Module Wishlist: AH-64A, T-38, B-1B, U-2, MH-60 Pavehawk, A-10A

Map Wishlist: NAS Oceana (w/Norfolk and Expansive Ocean), Korea (Modern), Cuba, Columbia

Ai Wishlist: Ships, SOF infantry, SOF Vehicles, AH/MH-6, P8, 

57 minutes ago, JFO82 said:

This....I don’t think it’s about livery availability I think it’s about more options in vanilla.

I'm pretty sure that if ED did that, then people would complain about all the GB that those liveries take .. like thay already do about the F-14 or MiG-21. 

• Like 1

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB