AOA limits, I'm missing something...

pchRage

I was under the impression that the FLCS limits to ~25 degrees AOA.  Only in stall/over-the-top/close-to-departure style maneuvers, have I gotten to ~29.  I've been reviewing a number of tacviews of myself and others in F-16 and I'm almost 99.999% of the time < 25deg, whether I'm between 200 to 500 CAS sub 10k alt. 

Others (several) I've seen regularly sustain 30-34 degrees, and even 42+ in a snap.  The speeds are in the lower band, from 220-360 cas, and these are in all aspects; climb, over the top, descending, level turn, ortho roll, oblique turn, etc etc.

I understand that AOA is not the f-16s gameplan and you dont want to be in the position in the first place.......but... when its down to a 1C/scissors, etc, especially vs another f-16, I can see that >25 degrees AOA delta as an advantage. 

I've checked my joystick in windows/dcs, and its hitting the full range.  I do not use any curves, but do take 2% off the ends to ensure I can hit 100% deflection.

Testing offline, trying various maneuvers, various speeds, (hah! even tried the manual-pitch-override)...no go!   Would be nice to understand the "how" and at least have the tool in the tool-bag. 

Attached a few screenshots from a random individual flying a 1v1.. names redacted 🙂

verticalclimb.jpg

verticalsnap.jpg

descending.jpg

Edited by pchRage

Thanks Crptalk,

I understand that is true for +/- 0.2 G or so.. but didn't know it affected AOA...

Even still... I've looked at many many many tacviews, and I consistently see my plane < 25AOA and others > 30.   are you saying that my local tacview is more accurate in the same flight for me vs others?   and by ~10degrees margin???  seems excessive 🙂

Not sure what demo maneuver that is.. did a quick search, didnt come up with anything.

I did compare two tacviews of a flight... mine and another persons, and sync'd their time to a particular evasive maneuver.   the 2 tacviews shows a ~2G difference and ~5deg AOA diff. 

So I think this all boils down to tacview is (highly?) inconsistent for non-own-plane recorded metrics... that's pretty disheartening and to me, casts some concerns on the tool itself for detailed analysis vs generalization ...