Ka-50 Blackshark 2 RoughMet or specularity?

Bungo

I am trying to make a livery for the Ka-50, but none of the usual roughmet methods in the description.Lau work, and no skins I have yet downloaded have them included, or have them included and work.

I know it is an old model, but I thought it’s recent updates might have added it.

I have seen references to texture material names with _M after the base texture material name in the lua, references to the texture type of 13 (instead of 0, ROUGHNESS_METALIC, and the like), and the files I have seen are mostly red and cyan in colour, but the instructions for installing them invariably state to put them in the game files and update the core texture zip files (which is not anywhere I want to go given there is a system in place to negate the need to do that).  Also, I can’t get that to work either.  And by not work, I mean there is no evidence it is applying anything, it looks no different to if there is no roughmet/speculation applied.

for example, none of these have any effect at all (all of which either follow the standard method of specifying a roughmet texture, or are used in the description.lua file from skins I have downloaded):

{"KA-50-PAINT1_M", 13, "KA-50-PAINT1_RoughMet", false},

{"KA-50-PAINT1_M", 0, "KA-50-PAINT1", false},
    {"KA-50-PAINT1_M", 13, "KA-50-PAINT1_RoughMet", false},

{"KA-50-PAINT1", ROUGHNESS_METALIC, "KA-50-PAINT1_RoughMet", false},

Anyone with a proven method that goes in Saved Games\DCS\Liveries, I request your help.

Regards

Braedon.

Edited by Bungo

It seems that the rough_met specification is made for changing reflection of metal surface from dull to shine.
At least it's what i figure out,after several combinations of gradiant map.
Thus if you do not have a graphic software like photoshop or else able to modify this gradiant map,you will see nothing noticiable.

I see:)

Now could you select the file without roughmet specification and change the gradiant map?,after that save the file as roughmet file.

maybe you don't have the software to change the gradiant map?is'n it?

So you could post your files here(zipped) and i could change it for you.

The description.lua generated by the modelviewer doesn't reference any specular or roughmet files.

And if you look in Eagle Dynamics\DCS World OpenBeta\Bazar\World\textures\Ka-50_general.zip you wont find any either.

Given how old the module is I guess it doesn't support specular or roughmet files

Edit: ah well, apparently it's possible, but you indeed need to add a few files in the main install folder.

Edited by Eight Ball

That's the one I downloaded, and I can'tget them to work so maybe it is not feasible.  The roughmets in that don't look the same as the modern ones so maybe it's diferent channels doing diffrent things to the modern roughmet.  I would have thought that when they touched up the Ka-50 recently they would have added that.  Given if you make a ship model you have to do nothing to make it roughmet compatable (a texture with the filename format <texture file name>+"_RoughMet" in the same directory is enough to do it).

Thanks

Braedon

• 4 months later...
On 12/3/2020 at 4:22 PM, Bungo said:

That's the one I downloaded, and I can'tget them to work so maybe it is not feasible.  The roughmets in that don't look the same as the modern ones so maybe it's diferent channels doing diffrent things to the modern roughmet.  I would have thought that when they touched up the Ka-50 recently they would have added that.  Given if you make a ship model you have to do nothing to make it roughmet compatable (a texture with the filename format <texture file name>+"_RoughMet" in the same directory is enough to do it).

Thanks

Braedon

I made it work and made addon for skins without camo - Link. You just need to remove the .bmp part from his specular files. I too wonder why they are different colors.

6XcLT0D.png

Just make a regular folder(no .zip) with the same name, IE Ka-50_general and dump your _roughmet.dds files in it. Leave that folder in Bazar/world/textures.

That way it passes IC and is immune to the updater(for now).

Then you can use roughmets in your custom skins through the lua.

Edited by Megalax

Megalax's Livery Studio

My Liveries in the User Files

I'll stick a maple leaf on anything...

9 hours ago, Megalax said:

Just make a regular folder(no .zip) with the same name, IE Ka-50_general and dump your _roughmet.dds files in it. Leave that folder in Bazar/world/textures.

That way it passes IC and is immune to the updater(for now).

Then you can use roughmets in your custom skins through the lua.

Thanks, I'll try that with the next version I'm working on.