Bf 109K4 damage model bugs

JG13Wulf

After an evening of testing, we notice multiple bug with Bf 109K4.
First of all, it seems that it's not a problem of gun power as all guns seems to make significant damage to the plane. But the damage itself only appear and have no effect on the plane.

Structural damage :

We first try to shoot at the 109 with 13mm and then with MK108.
MG131 :
Plane let appear damage and we can see smoke trail from radiator. But when trying to make the wing brake (7 to 9G pull up), the wing never ripped off.

Mk 108 :
Thinking the wing was too strong to break it using MG 131, we tried to make the same test with MK 108.

• 5 time we make 1 impact in the wing with MK 108. For each time, the wing didn't break even if going to 9G.
  • 2 time we make 2 impact of MK 108 => same result as before
  • 2 time we make shoot 1 by 1 to see when wing would break.
    • After 6 shoot => fuel tank was on fire (schrapnel)
    • After 3 or 4 shoot => aileron ripped off and the bug already reported appear => when missing a mobile part such as aileron, elevator or rudder, 109 became completely unflayable (complete loss of control).

Seems that structural damage due to impact is missing on the 109 wing.
We were able to cut his tail with MK 108.
We suspect that the structural failure problem could be related to the missing mobile part problem => as it was told to be internally corrected, I will test again after next update.

System damage :

Using 12.7 mm this time, it seems quite correct. With few impact (1 or 2 burst at convergence distance), the plane catch fire quite easily.
it's possible to make lot of different damage.

But (because there are always but)

• Gear drop due to damage seems to be not sync.
    • Shooter see landing gear down. But Pilot of the 109 don't see it.
    • When the damage actually happen from 109 pilot point of view, the gear pop back in the retracted positon for shooter view and them drop for everyone (it seems to be like that).
  • Fire don't kill pilot
    • Big fire behind the pilot (fuel tank) never kill the pilot => plane could continue to fly like nothing happen.
    • But fire on the plane nose (engine fire) actually kill the pilot.

Flight model behavior :
Like for the spitfire :

• Damage to right wing = left roll behavior
  • Damage to left wing = right roll behavior

Seems inverted.

All the track showing those bug are here :
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1LJ-h4mem2chnMplWHPfocjj7l0OraWzG/view?usp=sharing

• Like 4

After discussing and making more test yesterday, it appears that the wing actually can break after damage.
I'm personnally quite surprised by how it can resist. But It's probably because the angle I use to shoot with MK108 limit the damage => shoot from 6 o'clock on leveled plane.

But the wing can actually break in half. It's just quite hard.

• 4 weeks later...
  • ED Team

Sorry I haven't acknowledge this here until now, so story time. When we started working on the DM, it was one of my personal goals to see wing and other breaks to be much more realistic than we had ever seen them. I know we are conditioned from past games to see them cut off with gun fire fairly easy, including tails etc. Realistically, if you really look at it, many losses of body parts are more to do with cannon hits or more so collisions or explosions. 

I think right now, we are on the road to a very well done system of wing strength, as you have see, if you damage spars you can cut or break wings, we are missing fuel and ammo explosion's, when those come we should see more, and tail damage is improving to get away from that laser cut tail, and instead a tailed chewed up from gun fire. So we are getting there, and I think the end result will be good balance of reward and realism. 

I'll look at the other things as well, but for future reference try and keep it to 1 bug to 1 post please 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

On 1/1/2021 at 11:11 PM, NineLine said:

Sorry I haven't acknowledge this here until now, so story time. When we started working on the DM, it was one of my personal goals to see wing and other breaks to be much more realistic than we had ever seen them. I know we are conditioned from past games to see them cut off with gun fire fairly easy, including tails etc. Realistically, if you really look at it, many losses of body parts are more to do with cannon hits or more so collisions or explosions. 

I think right now, we are on the road to a very well done system of wing strength, as you have see, if you damage spars you can cut or break wings, we are missing fuel and ammo explosion's, when those come we should see more, and tail damage is improving to get away from that laser cut tail, and instead a tailed chewed up from gun fire. So we are getting there, and I think the end result will be good balance of reward and realism. 

I'll look at the other things as well, but for future reference try and keep it to 1 bug to 1 post please 🙂

Hi !

Don't worry about these, you already look at them and find the wing can actually break (I'm still surprised that it can survive so much, but I got a clear explanation).
About fire, you find the fire effect appear big on small fuel leak.
I didn't remember more. But it seems you told this was more an effect that does not correspond to damage. (But I don't remember a lot)

I'll do 1 bug 1 post next 😉