Low-Level-with-RAF-Gr4-Cover3.jpg

Strap in and get ready as a pair of Royal Air Force Tornado Gr4's take you on a breathtaking, low level sortie in DCS.
Low Level Sortie with RAF Tornados - DCS Mission (Free)

OFFICIAL TRAILER 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GaaEco4kU8

Download the Mission NOW>

ABOUT THE MISSION:

Strap in and get ready as a pair of Royal Air Force Tornado Gr4's take you on a breathtaking, low level sortie in DCS. Experience the thrill of low level flying at speeds of up to 550 knots. 
Take in winding rivers, stunning valleys, beautiful lakes and fly the world famous Kutaisi Loop.

It's fast, Its low, its great fun and will keep your flying skills tip top. 

250 miles of low level tactical formation flying through some of the nicest scenery in DCS and with the mighty Panavia Tornado Gr4 for company, whats not to like?

Stay in formation and make it back in one piece for tea and biscuits.

Support:
Single Player / up to 3 players

Level:
Easy and fun for beginner and pro alike

Mission Time:     
Around 30 mins

Aircraft:        
F-14A, F-15C, F-16C, F/A-18C

Mirage M2000C

Thanks
Steve

Edited by steviebeats
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

MISSION UPDATED JAN 29th 2021

This Mission is NOW even better!

The AI has NOW BEEN FIXED and BOTH RAF TORNADOS fly the route perfectly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

VERSION 1.8 updates*****

• Tornado wingman Ai aircraft now flies the route properly like his flight lead. 
• Extensive work to make this flow and time correctly
• RAF Tornados now perform route splits and joins - for added routing options
• Flyover at Kobuleti and finals lap added for realism. 
• Route fine tuned for optimum flow and terrain following
• Music and Sound Effects also in use as part of interactive side of mission
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you ALL for your feedback, comments and support. 

Cheers
Stevie

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

I'm going to necro this thread because I stumbled on this mission just last week and I want to point it out to folks who may have missed it.  @Looking Glass, thank you for putting this together.  I am sure this took a significant amount of time to get the timings all right.  I've flown it twice now and the mission performed flawlessly.  

If anyone is looking for a fun flight/tour around the Caucasus region alongside some RAF Tornados, you can't go wrong with this mission.  The immersion created by the voiceover actor is really compelling.  

For anyone interested, I recorded my flight so you can see what the mission is like (flown in VR).  I changed the default time of year from winter to fall in the ME.  I highly recommend this mission as a nice change of pace to slinging ordinance.  Definitely worth the 45 minute time investment.

Edited by Mistermann
  • Like 3

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

21 hours ago, Mistermann said:

I'm going to necro this thread because I stumbled on this mission just last week and I want to point it out to folks who may have missed it.  @Looking Glass, thank you for putting this together.  I am sure this took a significant amount of time to get the timings all right.  I've flown it twice now and the mission performed flawlessly.  

If anyone is looking for a fun flight/tour around the Caucasus region alongside some RAF Tornados, you can't go wrong with this mission.  The immersion created by the voiceover actor is really compelling.  

For anyone interested, I recorded my flight so you can see what the mission is like (flown in VR).  I changed the default time of year from winter to fall in the ME.  I highly recommend this mission as a nice change of pace to slinging ordinance.  Definitely worth the 45 minute time investment.

I had a go (editing the F15 C to an E) and it is indeed quite good fun.  Definitely going to try changing the season like you did as the winter lighting levels and subdued ground colours make it damn easy at some sections to lose the planes in front if you're not flying up each others backsides (and its challenging to keep too close formation as the AI jets do seem to vary speeds a bit around the route).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, bfr said:

Definitely going to try changing the season like you did as the winter lighting levels and subdued ground colours make it damn easy at some sections to lose the planes in front if you're not flying up each others backsides

Yeah, I first flew the mission without changing the month and just didn't care for the drab and dark look.  Plus without a sun visor, there were several "retina burn" moments where the sun was really uncomfortable, so I changed the month from Jan to Oct.  Much more colorful that way.  I think I made the flight time a little later so the sun was higher in the sky as well.

3 hours ago, bfr said:

(and its challenging to keep too close formation as the AI jets do seem to vary speeds a bit around the route).

I was pleasantly surprised with the AI.  I was expecting them to be all over the place.  Now, there were a few times where they got pretty squirrely and made some questionable turns and speed changes ... but that's the nature of ED's AI.  I always try and fly defensively when getting near AI flights and try to leave an escape path for the inevitable 5g pull into my flight path.  🤫 

System Specs:

Spoiler

💻Processor:13th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i9-13900K - 🧠RAM: 64GB - 🎥Video Card: NVIDIA RTX 4090 - 🥽 Display: Pimax 8kx VR Headset - 🕹️Accessories:  VKB Gunfighter III MCG Ultimate, Thrustmaster TWCS (modified), Thrustmaster TPR Pedals, Simshaker JetPad, Predator HOTAS Mounts, 3D Printed Flight Button Box 

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

1 hour ago, Mistermann said:

Yeah, I first flew the mission without changing the month and just didn't care for the drab and dark look.  Plus without a sun visor, there were several "retina burn" moments where the sun was really uncomfortable, so I changed the month from Jan to Oct.  Much more colorful that way.  I think I made the flight time a little later so the sun was higher in the sky as well.

I was pleasantly surprised with the AI.  I was expecting them to be all over the place.  Now, there were a few times where they got pretty squirrely and made some questionable turns and speed changes ... but that's the nature of ED's AI.  I always try and fly defensively when getting near AI flights and try to leave an escape path for the inevitable 5g pull into my flight path.  🤫 

Yeah, their flight paths seem fine but they seemed to come off and on the burners quite a lot. Although the puff of soot dropping out of burner became a handy reminder for me to also get off the gas. I think it'll be a good tool for brushing up on formation flying and voiceovers calling a lot of sharp turns also helps with avoiding those 'unexpected traffic conflict' moments.

The only very minor gripes are that the AI don't seem to get THAT low that often and they missed some good low flying areas out (e.g. the valley upstream from the dam you pass is a cracking LL route). I don't know if the altitudes used are the mission having been set up conservatively or just a limitation of DCS but i'm sufficiently a lunatic that if you don't land with green smears and twigs on the underside of the jet then you weren't really trying.

2 hours ago, bfr said:

The only very minor gripes are that the AI don't seem to get THAT low that often and they missed some good low flying areas out (e.g. the valley upstream from the dam you pass is a cracking LL route). I don't know if the altitudes used are the mission having been set up conservatively or just a limitation of DCS but i'm sufficiently a lunatic that if you don't land with green smears and twigs on the underside of the jet then you weren't really trying.

😆

I have the same observation on "Low".  I almost cracked open the ME to adjust the altitudes but better judgement prevailed.  I figured Looking Glass made them the way they are to "make it work".  To his point above, this was very fun with the AI planes set the way they are...

I fly with a couple of guys regularly and we're going to fly this mission in MP and see what kind of calamity ensues.  🤪

• Like 1

System Specs:

Spoiler

Thrustmaster TWCS Mod

• 2 weeks later...

I downloaded these missions a long time ago, and they are still one of my go to missions that I'll play over and over again for a relaxing flight. I like flying it in the rain, it gives it a very "grey 80s cold war Europe" feeling. When I was in Germany in the 80s, I would see flights of Tornados at low level all the time, so this is a really cool feeling for me. Thanks for this great mission!

Edited by FupDuck
  • Like 1

"...I just wanna fly; put your arms around me baby, put your arms around me baby" - Sugar Ray

RTX 3090, Ryzen 7 5800X3D, MSI MPG B550 Gaming mobo, 64 GB DDR4 RAM, 970 EVO Plus NVMe M.2 SSD 2TB game install drive, Oculus Quest Pro via link cable, Standalone DCS beta.