If you are looking for full advantage in Saitek - I cannot recommend it. Buy a cheaper joystick.

zero

Waisted hours to figure out how to use Saitek 52 pro programs in DCS.

There is no connection between Saitek programming and DCS.

Maybe you can work from htlm sheet , and spend hours enter bindings. But I doubt you can save it to DCS.

Finally..

As a basic joystick Saitek 52 pro is excellent.

Binding basic commands is quick and easy in  Manager menu.

IIRC, for the SST mappings to work, you have to clear all the default assignments in the DCS for that controller first (i.e. select any row in the X52 Pro column in DCS controller config and press 'delete all assignments' button or whatever it's called).

After that, it will work just fine.

Edited by Dudikoff
  • Like 1

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

Thanks.

Do know if it starts with a saved Saitek profile with your procedure?

Example:

The mini stick default is mouse.  I disable it to work as a 4 way button with a save as....

Going to DCS it still work as a mouse.

It is impossible to export (replace) the saved Saitek profile to the DCS files. It is different programming language.

I can of of course walk around with pinky button as modifier to get needed mapping - as I did with my old Logitech .

But I paid extra for sliders and mini stick , along with 3 modes, that is not compatible with DCS.  

Edited by zero

It works if you program the saitek software. But you have to read a guide how to do it properly. For me it seems that your changed profile is not loaded in the saitek software or your joystick is still pre mapped within dcs.

First go into settings, controls  and your desired aircraft, klick in the column for saitek x52pro joystick and click clear category, repeat the same process for the throttle.

Now all your preassigned buttons should be removed within DCS. Now enter the Axes tab and see if the column of the x52 throttle has a mapping for your mousestick. If you look at the controls and move the different sliders and axes you should see which one is used. If your mousestick is used somewhere clear those fields.

Now you go into your Saitek software and program every keyboard command you wanna use on your joystick to your preferred button, save the profile and load it. If iam not mistaken its either right or left click on the tray icon and there should be your created profile.

Edited by erniedaoage

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

19 hours ago, zero said:

It is impossible to export (replace) the saved Saitek profile to the DCS files. It is different programming language.

That's not how it works.  Saitek profiler basically emulates key strokes.  There is no "programming language", there is no "export (replace)" DCS files.

If your mini-mouse is still being recognized as mouse in DCS, my guess is you only programmed the profiles and didn't activate it.

I've used Saitek/Logitech very successfully from X-52 - X56 without a problem.  I've used it to map the software to the keyboard with lots of macros making it very convenient for the HOTAS.  I've also used the X-52 - X56 to map directly into the DCS/controls page with equal success. You must do what Dudifoff mentioned, start by clearing any commands auto-mapped to your HOTAS by DCS.

I found the new Logitech software excellent choice in conjunction with mapping directly to your DCS/controls making sure there are no double mapping conflicts.

Thanks.

I tried for hours to figure this.

Example:

I was able to save ministick down as dms down  - Alt . (Ref f-16 control menu)

I saved profile as test.

Will DCS f-16  use "test" as default when everything is deleted in joystick category?

The example in SST manual refers FSX - much simpler.

Again... what puzzles me is DCS save/load profile is .ual files.

But if DCS use my test profile clean as default it may work.

You have to load the profiles in the software for the joystick not for dcs. You can either bind everything in DCS to the selected module, or you bind everything within the software provided for your joystick. You don't mix those 2 together. Set up your joystick in dcs will work easy, but you won't be able to use the 3 different modes with different settings afaik. The Tray icon will change its color if i remember correctly when you load the profile.

I'll try it again.

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick

Yeah, you just right click on the SST icon in the tray and select one of your profiles (saved in the proper folder). Then the icon will become green or something indicating an active profile. But, be sure to go to DCS controls config for EACH plane you want to use the Saitek software for and clear the Saitek X56 column (it needs to be plugged in before you start DCS for it to show) completely with the appropriate command.

Regarding the mods, if the Saitek mode switch is mapped to regular DX buttons (as I think it is), those buttons can be used as modifiers in DCS so technically the 3-mode functionality can be replicated there as well.

For some reason, Logitech chose not to do this on their G940 so the mode switch there can't be used in DCS controls menu which is a shame as Logitech G940 controls app is pretty bad (while e.g. Saitek's SST is quite usable and I preferred it to setting things up in DCS).

Edited by Dudikoff

i386DX40@42 MHz w/i387 CP, 4 MB RAM (8*512 kB), Trident 8900C 1 MB w/16-bit RAMDAC ISA, Quantum 340 MB UDMA33, SB 16, DOS 6.22 w/QEMM + Win3.11CE, Quickshot 1btn 2axis, Numpad as hat. 2 FPH on a good day, 1 FPH avg.

DISCLAIMER: My posts are still absolutely useless. Just finding excuses not to learn the F-14 (HB's Swansong?).

Annoyed by my posts? Please consider donating. Once the target sum is reached, I'll be off to somewhere nice I promise not to post from. I'd buy that for a dollar!

1 hour ago, zero said:

Will DCS f-16  use "test" as default when everything is deleted in joystick category?

No.

As answered by others, you have to activate the "test" profile.  Three ways to activate (choose) profile.

1.  Right clicking on the icon on the taskbar

2.  Left click on the blue target icon (profile) in Logitech profiler.

3  Switch profiles using the clutch button on the throttle.  You can do this even during gameplay.

1 hour ago, zero said:

Again... what puzzles me is DCS save/load profile is .ual files.

But if DCS use my test profile clean as default it may work.

Think of it as macro program.  It's how almost all profiler works.  Except for axis like pitch, bank, and throttle, everything should be mapped under Keyboard.

Let's say you assigned "Spacebar" to your trigger in the profiler.  First of all, you have to activate the profile using the method above.  Then you have to make sure in DCS controller options, "Spacebar" is assigned to "Fire" function under KEYBOARD column.  And nothing is assigned to the joystick column.

If you have no function to the trigger in the profiler and it is set to "Fallback", then it is being used as basic joystick.  Not as programmed function.  So of course it will work as basic joystick under DCS.

Purpose of profiler is to assign complex commands to one button.  For example, you can program the profiler so if you press a button, it will fire your weapon, change the view to weapon view, then return to cockpit view when you release the button.

Or in A10, I have to hold down the button to deploy and retract the speedbrakes.  With profiler advanced commands, I can set the speed brake at certain angle with single button press by timing the button press.

All of these you can't do if you're just using it as basic joystick.

Edited by Taz1004

Thanks for all help,

Almost there..

I copied html to work with.

As a test - I designated Esc to switch.  Started up and ........ pressing the joystick button , and ----- End Mission!!!! :_) 

Final - can I do the same with other aircraft?   Delete all and continue on the same SST save.

Or must I create a new SST for each aircraft?

18 minutes ago, zero said:

Final - can I do the same with other aircraft?   Delete all and continue on the same SST save.

Or must I create a new SST for each aircraft?

Each aircraft functions differently.  Even if you fly with keyboard, the commands are all different so you can't use one profile for all in any case.

You have to create new profile for each aircraft.

13 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

Each aircraft functions differently.  Even if you fly with keyboard, the commands are all different so you can't use one profile for all in any case.

You have to create new profile for each aircraft.

Thanks.

Normally you can select a different aircraft from top menu. No other selections needed to change profile. Hope it works that way with SST too.

3 hours ago, zero said:

Thanks.

Normally you can select a different aircraft from top menu. No other selections needed to change profile. Hope it works that way with SST too.

You lost me.  What top menu and I thought you were asking about "creating" profile.  Not "changing" profile?

Changing profile is easy.  Like I've said, you can even do it during gameplay using clutch button and hat switch.

3 hours ago, Taz1004 said:

You lost me.  What top menu and I thought you were asking about "creating" profile.  Not "changing" profile?

Changing profile is easy.  Like I've said, you can even do it during gameplay using clutch button and hat switch.

Sorry if I am unclear.

I am talking about DCS Options menu.

Selecting Controls - you can pick aircraft such as - F-16 - F-14 - F-14 RIO .

Probably the most used menu in DCS.

Just  now I am mapping F-16.

When finished - I hope to start fresh with F14 by deleting Saitek category, and not ruin my F-16 mapping in the process. 

9 minutes ago, zero said:

Sorry if I am unclear.

I am talking about DCS Options menu.

Selecting Controls - you can pick aircraft such as - F-16 - F-14 - F-14 RIO .

Probably the most used menu in DCS.

Just  now I am mapping F-16.

When finished - I hope to start fresh with F14 by deleting Saitek category, and not ruin my F-16 mapping in the process. 

Perhaps you still didn't fully understand how it works.  You don't "map" in DCS options.  If you use the Saitek category in DCS options for each aircraft, you are not using the SST programming.  You're using it as basic joystick.

Only thing that matters is KEYBOARD column for each aircraft which you don't change.  You "map" your SST to the keyboard command of each aircraft.  And you save and switch the SST profile.  You do NOTHING in DCS options other than clear the Saitek category.

Oh well, maybe you'll figure it out on your own.

Edited by Taz1004

7 minutes ago, Taz1004 said:

Perhaps you still didn't fully understand how it works.  You don't "map" in DCS options.  If you use the Saitek category in DCS options for each aircraft, you are not using the SST programming.  You're using it as basic joystick.

Only thing that matters is KEYBOARD column for each aircraft which you don't change.  You "map" your SST to the keyboard command of each aircraft.  And you save and switch the SST profile.  You do NOTHING in DCS options other than clear the Saitek category.

Oh well, maybe you'll figure it out on your own.

Well.....

I am able to map keyboard/joystick outside DCS now, using SST program tool only

Using a htlm print out map for F-16 to find keyboard combinations.

What worries me - the day I want to map F-14 in a similar way, I will ruin my finished F-16 mapping in the process.

15 minutes ago, zero said:

Well.....

I am able to map keyboard/joystick outside DCS now, using SST program tool only

Using a htlm print out map for F-16 to find keyboard combinations.

What worries me - the day I want to map F-14 in a similar way, I will ruin my finished F-16 mapping in the process.

Okay, I'll try to explain one more time.

All keyboard combinations in DCS, leave it default.  It's default so there's nothing to lose or ruin.  F-16 has its own keyboard commands and F-14 has its own keyboard commands.

In SST, create profile for F-16.  You are supposed to assign the default DCS keyboard commands to the buttons in SST.  You don't change or map anything in DCS.  Save the profile as F-16 in SST.

Repeat in SST for F-14 and save it as F-14.

When you play F-16, activate F-16 profile.  When you play F-14, activate F-14.

Edited by Taz1004

Agree-

Make sense. That is the way I do it. And F-16 profile is safe.

What confused me was step one in this thread. To make it work:

You have to delete all mapping in DCS (F-16) Control Saitek first - 

This is a mandatory step. (And it did work for me)

Conclusion on this thread,

Topic is not about quality on potentiometers, sliders and buttons. - But the number of them.

Do you want to pay extra? (mini stick mouse and sliders)

Consider:

1. Saitek manual is not good. You getting started, but does not help you to the finish line.

2. Youtube videos do help, but not 100%

3. There is a learning curve.

4. Once mastered, it is still time consuming to map in SST (Saitek programming).

5. Play with different profiles - new - saved.  Important: Do a quick check first: 

Map Esc button to joystick trigger. Start DCS aircraft. Press trigger. If End Mission shows up , you are OK, and know how to program Saitek.

Flying only simple aircraft  (WWII) - you may consider less buttons, and use basic DCS mapping, with pinkie switch modifier if necessary.

- In other threads, it is mentioned that mod 1- 2 - 3 does not work.

There are grid menu, and drop down menus for different modes.  Have not tried them yet, but my guess is it will work OK.

Finally..

Thank you all for help in this thread.

😀

I flew the A-10C and the Mirage 2000C with its ingame-HOTAS and other functions (Gear, Flaps, etc) for many years with the Saitek X-52. Now, I just started with the Hornet and the X-52. It always worked to map the HOTAS and some other Stuff for flying and fighting. I have this one since 2008 and LOMAC. The slider went off some years ago and the wheels on the throttle have some "play" now, but it still works and I just can recommend this HOTAS for FC and DCS, when you have a small budget but want a HOTAS system. Before I had TrackIR4, I also used the Coolie for the View and it worked well. But you are right, you have to to a deep dive in its mapping software. But then, its fine.

Hint: I only use the mode 1 section. But I use it stand alone (mode 1), with the Pinkie Switch (Mode 1 + Pinkie) and with the clutch Button (Mode 1 + clutch). So, I have all Buttons, rotarys, wheels and coolie hats (each with 4 functions) three times without using the mode-wheel.

Edited by VTJG17_Fire

Hardware: Intel i5 4670K | Zalman NPS9900MAX | GeIL 16GB @1333MHz | Asrock Z97 Pro4 | Sapphire Radeon R9 380X Nitro | Samsung SSDs 840 series 120GB & 250 GB | Samsung HD204UI 2TB | be quiet! Pure Power 530W | Aerocool RS-9 Devil Red | Samsung SyncMaster SA350 24" + ASUS VE198S 19" | Saitek X52 | TrackIR 5 | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Speedlink Darksky LED | Razor Diamondback | Razor X-Mat Control | SoundBlaster Tactic 3D Rage ### Software: Windows 10 Pro 64Bit

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...

recommend it: 

Take a look my mods :joystick: 

dcs_footer500.jpg

CPU: i7 7700 | GPU: GeForce GTX 1080 8GB DDR5 | Motherboard: ASUSTeK PRIME B250M-A | RAM: 2x16GB DDR4-2400 | Output: Kingston HyperX Cloud II | Edifier C2XD 2.1 | Controlls: Saitek X-56 Rhino | Saitek Flight Rudder Pedals | Saitek Multi/Radio/Switch Panels | Thrustmaster MFD Cougar | Elgato Stream Deck XL | OpenTrack with LaserClip | VoiceAttack with VAICOM Pro plugin