A64 3500+ w/ SLI BFG 6800GT OC PCI-E

spearsd

According to FiringSquad, SLI does nothing for Lock On. Well, tomorrow I should be receiving a pair of BFG 6800GT OC PCI-E cards and able to conduct more conclusive tests os SLI with Lock On. If anyone has specific resolutions and AA/AF settings they want tested, please post them in this thread. I'll do my best to try them (holidays and all). What do I plan on trying? I'm particulary interested in seeing what min/avg/max FPS are with AA/AF cranked up at resolutions between 720x480 and 1920x1080 with vsync on.

Will keep you posted.

This is all assuming my Antec True430W PS can deal with it... I'm confident the PS requirements are slightly blown out of proportion. We'll see :wink:

-spearsd

Do you want any AF?

Test System:

A64 3500+ (90nm) / Zalman CNPS-7000A alcu - Asus A8N-SLI Deluxe v1.02 (1003-002) - XMS512-3200C2 v5.1 (3-3-3-8-1T) - 2x BFG 6800GT OC 256MB PCI-E - Audigy2 ZS - MIT MDP-100 Tuner - Seagate ATA 1x BIV 80GB, 2x BIV 200GB - BenQ DW1620-0C3 DVD DL-RW (B7P9-RPC1) - Antec Sonata / Antec True430W

1280*1024 2x FSAA, no anisotropic filtering, driver set for quality

all lockon settings high, except water (medium), no heatblur

The MiG-29 intercept stock track should be challenging ;)

I'll try not to get our hopes up! This morning I called the people I ordered from to confirm that I was going to receive the vid cards and was told "Yes, we have enough to fill your order". Tonight, I checked order status for a tracking number, but instead find "back-ordered" on my invoice :cry: Oh well, just one of many disappointments suffered due to A-hole bone-head e-tailers this holiday season :x

I'll let you know when (if) I get them; sorry about that. Hmmm... I need a cheaper hobby :!:

-spearsd

Yes, it's tough to find one right now, but if you're patient and follow these threads you can snag one :-) I'm really happy with the NForce4 board so far, not a single problem with it.

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=29&threadid=1449863

http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=29&threadid=1462682&enterthread=y

Isn't it hard to get a Socket939 PCI-E motherboard right now? The retailers I checked said early february for that ASUS 939 SLI.

Spearsd,

Thank you for letting us know about your system and Lock On performance on it! I am planning of building a similar system (XP 64 3200, PCI-e SLI ...) in mid January!

So let us know how your rig will perform!

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Damn, that hasn't been there very long (I know, because that's the place I had been hoping would get them in)!!! :lol: In fact, I checked the Anandtech forums, and that board just became available through NewEgg last night/this morning.

You are right! I've been checking the same site for weeks now!

Damn, that hasn't been there very long (I know, because that's the place I had been hoping would get them in)!!! :lol: In fact, I checked the Anandtech forums, and that board just became available through NewEgg last night/this morning.

Thermaltake Kandalf LCS | Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R | Etasis ET750 (850W Max) | i7-920 OC to 4.0 GHz | Gigabyte HD5850 | OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 2000 | 2 X 30GB OCZ Vertex SSD in RAID 0 | ASUS VW266H 25.5" | LG Blue Ray 10X burner | TIR 5 | Saitek X-52 Pro | Logitech G930 | Saitek Pro flight rudder pedals | Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

Re: A64 3500+ w/ SLI BFG 6800GT OC PCI-E

Well, tomorrow I should be receiving a pair of BFG 6800GT OC PCI-E cards and able to conduct more conclusive tests os SLI with Lock On.

BTW, where in the world did you find this card? 6800 PCI-E series cards are so rare, and when you find one the price astronomicly high!

Chumbo.com has the BFG 6800GT OC 256MB PCI-E for $399USD - BFG has a lifetime warranty and this is the version with dual DVI connectors. My order was placed two days ago (see top of thread) when they were offerring free overnight shipping. It seems I was barely passed over even though it said in stock when I ordered :roll:, but I'm on target for the next shipment 5-10 days from now.

-spearsd

Well, tomorrow I should be receiving a pair of BFG 6800GT OC PCI-E cards and able to conduct more conclusive tests os SLI with Lock On.

BTW, where in the world did you find this card? 6800 PCI-E series cards are so rare, and when you find one the price astronomicly high!

hey spearsd

i'm planning on building a new system around that mobo. I dont have enough money to buy two cards (let alone ONE good card) so what do you suggest is a good <$100 USD card that i can get so i can use the rest of the money for a good proc and memory. (and PSU, Case, fans, sound etc etc lol)

Man, that's a tall order.... maybe, the X700 Pro 128MB for $165? Yes, I know that's $65 over your request, but there's not many PCI-E cards at that price-point worth considering for gaming. If you move up to $200, your options will open up a bit. Anyone else have a suggestion?

-spearsd

hey spearsd

i'm planning on building a new system around that mobo. I dont have enough money to buy two cards (let alone ONE good card) so what do you suggest is a good <$100 USD card that i can get so i can use the rest of the money for a good proc and memory. (and PSU, Case, fans, sound etc etc lol)

Chumbo.com has the BFG 6800GT OC 256MB PCI-E for $399USD - BFG has a lifetime warranty and this is the version with dual DVI connectors. My order was placed two days ago (see top of thread) when they were offerring free overnight shipping. It seems I was barely passed over even though it said in stock when I ordered :roll:, but I'm on target for the next shipment 5-10 days from now.

-spearsd

Now look at this! EVGA 6800GT for 918 US dollars!!!!!

http://www.atacom.com/program/print_html_new.cgi?&USER_ID=www&cart_id=9476318_68_95_37_219&Item_code=VIDR_EVGA_FX_66

INSANE!

And on top of that misery, the card specs calls for the AGP interface!!!

Yes, as a matter of fact, I took it upon myself to call those guys and bitch at them about a week ago for that ridiculous price. It's NOT the first time I've seen this company jack prices like that (like that meaning $$$ above the rest). I wouldn't buy from them if they were the last place on earth... unless that actually happens, and uh.... unless its Flaming Cliffs :lol: That's just not likely!

-spearsd

-spearsd

Now look at this! EVGA 6800GT for 918 US dollars!!!!!

http://www.atacom.com/program/print_html_new.cgi?&USER_ID=www&cart_id=9476318_68_95_37_219&Item_code=VIDR_EVGA_FX_66

INSANE!

And on top of that misery, the card specs calls for the AGP interface!!!

Yes, as a matter of fact, I took it upon myself to call those guys and bitch at them about a week ago for that ridiculous price. It's NOT the first time I've seen this company jack prices like that (like that meaning $$$ above the rest). I wouldn't buy from them if they were the last place on earth... unless that actually happens, and uh.... unless its Flaming Cliffs :lol: That's just not likely!

-spearsd

You are right! You just gave me a good idea! I will go through Lock On community and call for a boycot of ATACOM! Also, I wrote them an e-mail stating the following:

"I am writing you this letter to express my disgust with your ATACOM pricing of the EVGA 6800GT PCI-E card! This card should sell at arround 400 US dollars! I will spread a word in a web community to boycot ATACOM until you change your pricing policy!

Regards,"

NVidia 6600 GT, kicks ass, in Oz it is sold for around $330.00, so US I guess around 200. Any other PCI express card either does not even come close or if it does, it costs heps more. (X800 XT is a little bit better, but it costs AU$ 949.99!)

6600 GT has scored "Best Buy" in Jan issue of Oz PC User, and in tests it had heaps better "lowest FPS" than any other card inc X800 XT (103.2 vs 67.2)

Kind regards,

Mimes

"Joined forum in 2004 but flying Flanker since 1995 :o)"

Lol, I'm watching this tread, and I have a feeling my card is underpreforming... I have ASUS 6800GT/TD (yes it's a hybrid, a GT core and 128Mb DDR RAM), and I can't really play LOMAC on high settings. Haze kills it lol. Might be due to my CPU and Memory thoy... (P4 2.2GHz 400FSB effective, 768Mb PC133 SDRAM)

The bird of Hermes is my name eating my wings to make me tame.

message from Mod: wolf8218, please watch your language!

i think santa was listening and i got no cash at all. F***ING CLOTHES, AND AN ELECTRIC SHAVER! GARR

Calm down Andrew..... Fox 1, Fox 2, Fox 3........

All better.

Anyways, my 3.2 Gh oced to 3.4 is just as good as any new processor that comes out today, so im guessing an X800XT will have to take the place of a new system. (My FSB is a little faster than ANY other P4 except that 3.46 GHz Extreme Edition 1066MHz FSB)

Hey, Wolf,

Just for ease your mind, I've played Lomac on a P4 3GHz and AMD 64 3500+ with AGP 6800GT and can confirm that while the 6800GT added some relief to smoke and overcast framerates, it really was the CPU that counted most. LOMAC is quite simply CPU intensive any way you slice it after you throw AI into the mix. In fact a GF3 ti500 was able to play well enough with the P4 3GHz processor when I tried it! The only thing that will make everyone's Utopian LOMAC dream come true is a MUCH faster proc (oh say 5GHz by the P4 standard) AND a fast video card (ATI X850)! :wink:

spearsd

i think santa was listening and i got no cash at all. F***ING CLOTHES, AND AN ELECTRIC SHAVER! GARR

Calm down Andrew..... Fox 1, Fox 2, Fox 3........

All better.

Anyways, my 3.2 Gh oced to 3.4 is just as good as any new processor that comes out today, so im guessing an X800XT will have to take the place of a new system. (My FSB is a little faster than ANY other P4 except that 3.46 GHz Extreme Edition 1066MHz FSB)

Yup, LOMAC is CPU-limited in most cases. I've been running some missions lately on a P4 3.0E @ 3.6Ghz and a 6800GT @ Ultra speeds, and found that while the GT does help in some cases (vs. my old Radeon 9700 Pro), especially with overcast and heat blur (both are very GPU-intensive), most everything else is CPU-limited, especially terrain and object rendering. For example, just changing my FSB leads to dramatic changes when viewing a large number of ground objects (5+ (15 to 20) FPS from 3.0 to 3.6 Ghz), while fiddling with my 6800 GT overclock does absolutely nothing in this scenario. Seems to me that triangle setup is very expensive in LOMAC, or perhaps they are not using vertex buffers optimally.. can't say without seeing the code really. Furthermore, but this is GPU-related, many of the shaders are fairly unoptimised, especially overcast.

bms.jpg

And do not forget the caching during various views producing pregnant pauses. There has been a lot posted around about how a fast RAID (Level 0 -- Striped Disk Array) does help heaps, in some cases completely eliminating pauses when changing views.

Kind regards,

Mimes

"Joined forum in 2004 but flying Flanker since 1995 :o)"