HP Reverb G2

Raz_Specter

Just got the G2 delivered this morning, which is replacing the G1.  Hooked it up to DCS jumped in a F16 in the Falklands and had a look around.

Image quality is absolutely fantastic with no tracking issues at all (with the G1 it used to stop tracking due to low light in my office when i looked down at the side consoled, but then when returning to normal front view it used to snap back, non of that with the G2).  Defo well worth the cost IMPO

Thanks Specter

• Like 1

Custom built W10 Pro 64Bit, Intel Core i9 9900k, Asus ROG Maximus Code XI Z390, 64GB DDR4 3200 RGB, Samsung 1TB NVme M.2 Drive, Gigabyte AORUS 2080TI, 40" Iiyama Display. Wacom Cintiq Pro 24, HOTAS Virpil T50 Stick / FA-18C TM Stick and Virpil T50 Throttle, MFG Crosswind Graphite Pedals. HP Reverb

SPECTER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Lead Terrain Developer / Texture Artist

👍

Good choice! Been running mine strong every day for about the last 2.5 weeks, loving it.

Don B

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | i9 9900k CPU @ 5.1 GHz | Gigabyte 4090 OC | 64 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200 MHz CL16 | Corsair H150i Pro Cooler |Virpil CM3 Stick w/ Alpha Prime Grip 200mm ext| Virpil CM3 Throttle | VPC Rotor TCS Base w/ Alpha-L Grip| Point Control V2|Varjo Aero|

Damit, mine is ordered for 6 weeks but no news of stocks.

I might have one without controllers quicker. Are the controllers usable in DCS? I'm quite happy with the Oculus Touch controllers but if the G2 ones are not so usable, I'd could switch to the mouse.

Mines come but sat in it's box as i've now got no GFX card 😞

Previously had a Rift S which was a low rez blur fest.  Cant wait!!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 9700k | 32gb DDR4 | Geforce 2080ti | TrackIR 5 | Rift S | HOTAS WARTHOG | CH PRO Pedals

Received mine this week, very happy with it.  Was a bit of a risk as my IPD is 73 but no issues.  Have sold my Valve Index, the Index has a bit wider FOV and better controllers but I have had no tracking issues with the G2 and its a lot more comfortable to wear for extended periods, played a mixture of stuff including sim racing and Alyx.  Also played Eleven table tennis which needs a high refresh rate and good controllers, thought I would have to forego this but was playable, not as good as the high refresh rate of the Index but OK.  Sims is 80% of its use and the resolution and lack of glare is a big plus.  WMR is a bit of a pain but OK once I got through the learning curve.  Also got back a lot more money for the Index than I paid for the G2.

Not really tried DCS much yet as my Virpil stuff is unavailable at present due to my son moving back in for a while.  Running a 1080ti for now and was surprised at how ell it ran with this, Hopefully will get a 6900xt or 3080 / 3080Ti  sometime next year when things settle down, but for now the 1080Ti is fully usable with my 9900k.

Overall very please with the G2.

I also went for the new hand controllers with my G2 pre order...... I am still waiting patiently for their arrival.

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

Just got mine delivered to me (8.40 am), I'm unpacking and will have to uninstall my CV1 and all related software before trying it...

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.

• 1 month later...

Please forgive the stupid question, but do any of you use your HP reverb in the DCS version you download from their website (not steam or through steam VR). I got one for Christmas and have been unable to get it to open in VR despite enabling it in the settings tab as some comments have suggested in other forums. Thank you in advance if any can help me.

1 hour ago, patojo said:

Please forgive the stupid question, but do any of you use your HP reverb in the DCS version you download from their website (not steam or through steam VR). I got one for Christmas and have been unable to get it to open in VR despite enabling it in the settings tab as some comments have suggested in other forums. Thank you in advance if any can help me.

You have to have steam vr and steam vr for wmr to be installed for the game to run.

It won't from the wmr app alone

Edited by Lt_Jaeger

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/3/2020 at 1:55 PM, Hoirtel said:

Any of you with g2's have issues with render distances being different in each eye? This is pretty bad for me, might have to go back to the rift s!

Check to see if you are running at 60hz rather than 90hz.  I tried setting mine to 60 for performance and I can't even explain what happened, but it sounds like what you are talking about.

I see the G2 headset is available to purchase and ship. I was really wanting to wait until I get a 3090 gfx card before looking into getting a G2 since I already have a G1. No telling when the cards will be available. What to do?:disgust:

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Interestingly enough, MRTV guy posted a video comparing a 2080ti to a 3080 and found that for DCS there was only a 3% improvement whereas other games were improving by over 20-40%. He attributes this to DCS being more CPU driven than GPU.

My view would be if you can run the G1, order the G2. I like it and am running it on a 2070 and am getting on average 40FPS and an I7 6700

3 hours ago, Nickrs said:

...My view would be if you can run the G1, order the G2...

I blame you for my recently purchased G2.😜

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

I ordered my G2 from the HP site and surprisingly got it in 4 days, that part was a good experience.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

2 hours ago, Burt said:

I ordered my G2 from the HP site and surprisingly got it in 4 days, that part was a good experience.

Thanks for the heads-up. Hopefully I get by this weekend.🤞🏾

Received my G2 today. I'm going to set it up this weekend and see what all the hype is about.😉

Great pimp ! I was so surprise how fast I got mine. I took off from work waiting for it and felt like a little kid again haha! good Luck on everything.

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020