Hornets and Sparrow

Talon Karde

Hi guys,

I enjoy creating missions using several time period : 80's, 90's, modern,... In order to equip planes with real ordonnance, I was wondering when the Sparrow missile was retired fron USN / USAF ?

We can load Hornets with stupidly draggy (and unrealistic) 12 missiles configuration. But IRL, what are the real payloads? I usualy carry 6 to 8 missiles.

Thanks !

Talon Karde

Du Talon de qualité, élevé au grain et en plein air, entièrement livré en kit.

Mauvais pilote:joystick: sur DCS: F-14B, DCS: F/A-18C et DCS: Mirage 2000C :wub:

-= In Ctrl + E + E + E we trust =-

Blog Takarde Gaming

Envie de tester Shadow de Blade? Tiens, un code de parrainage : ARNJB3VB

1 hour ago, Tholozor said:

The AIM-7 is still in active service, just limited in use.

Oh thanks, I thought it was retired. I only see pictures with AMRAAMs.

Talon Karde

Mauvais pilote:joystick: sur DCS: F-14B, DCS: F/A-18C et DCS: Mirage 2000C :wub:

Blog Takarde Gaming

The Navy transitioned to primarily carrying AMRAAMs on Hornets around 1994 I think. Like any fleet-wide equipment transition it didn't happen instantaneously in all air wings. Sparrow got less and less frequently carried and now they basically never get pulled out of storage anymore. 

6 hours ago, Bunny Clark said:

The Navy transitioned to primarily carrying AMRAAMs on Hornets around 1994 I think. Like any fleet-wide equipment transition it didn't happen instantaneously in all air wings. Sparrow got less and less frequently carried and now they basically never get pulled out of storage anymore. 

Thanks for the details !

Edited by Talon Karde

Talon Karde

Blog Takarde Gaming

Nice info 👍

PC: i7 9700K, 32 GB RAM, RTX 2080 SUPER, Tir 5, Hotas Warthog Throttle, VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Base with VPC MongoosT-50CM2 Grip, VKB-SIM T-RUDDER PEDALS MK.IV. Modules : NEVADA, F-5E, M-2000C, BF-109K4, A-10C, FC3, P-51D, MIG-21BIS, MI-8MTV2, F-86F, FW-190D9, UH-1H, L-39, MIG-15BIS, AJS37, SPITFIRE-MKIX, AV8BNA, PERSIAN GULF, F/A-18C HORNET, YAK-52, KA-50, F-14,SA342, C-101, F-16, JF-17, Supercarrier,I-16,MIG-19P, P-47D,A-10C_II

On 12/1/2020 at 11:51 AM, Talon Karde said:

Hi guys,

I enjoy creating missions using several time period : 80's, 90's, modern,... In order to equip planes with real ordonnance, I was wondering when the Sparrow missile was retired fron USN / USAF ?

We can load Hornets with stupidly draggy (and unrealistic) 12 missiles configuration. But IRL, what are the real payloads? I usualy carry 6 to 8 missiles.

Thanks !

In the book "Hornets over Kuwait", Jay Stout (USMC pilot in 1991 ODS) says that for CAP (defending their air base in Bahrain IIRC) they were taking 2 fuel tanks (one under each wing), 3 or 4 Sparrows, 4 Sidewinders and full gun ammo.

That is weird, because in order to carry 4 Sparrows they would need to carry one of the tanks in the center pylon or drop 2 Sidewinders, but I guess you get the picture.

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1 hour ago, escaner said:

That is weird, because in order to carry 4 Sparrows they would need to carry one of the tanks in the center pylon or drop 2 Sidewinders, but I guess you get the picture.

My guess is that it was either 3 Sparrows and 4 Sidewinders, or 4 Sparrows and 2 Sidewinders. 

They could run 2 Sparrows on Stations 4 and 6, a third Sparrow on Station 2 or 8, double-rack Sidewinders on 2 or 8 plus the two on 1 and 9, and wing tanks on 3 and 7.

It could also be a double-ugly with Sparrows on 4 and 6, two more on 2 and 8, double-rack Sidewinders on 3 or 7, centerline tank, and the asymmetric tank on 3 or 7 opposing the double-rack Sidewinders (or swap the double-rack Sidewinders with one of the outboard Sparrows, assuming they were wired for it at the time, I know earlier model legacy Hornets could only fire Sparrows from the fuselage and outboard stations).

Edited by Tholozor

REAPER 51 | Tholozor
VFA-136 (c.2007): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3305981/
Arleigh Burke Destroyer Pack (2020): https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/3313752/

Thx, nice peace of information !

Talon Karde

Blog Takarde Gaming