What is going on with my fps?

I have been playing DCS for about 6 months. I run a rtx 2070, intel i7 8th gen, 32 gb ram, SSD. I always got good fps. All of a sudden I am barely pulling 40-45 frames. Same servers that I am always on. No addition in content to servers. No change in my graphics settings. I literally have lost 50-60 frames. It only happens in a few servers. The rest are fine. What is going on?

• ED Team

Difficult to say, sometimes windows updates create issues, sometimes driver updates. 

It would be a good idea to delete your metashader2 and fxo folder in your saved games DCS folder, DCS will create new ones when it restarts, first load maybe slower while shaders are created, best done in single player first.

check no other programs are running in the back ground that were not running before, if you use wingwing HOTAS check their forum section there is an issue creating fps issues.

if you still have problems attach a short track replay showing an example of a frame drop and your dcs log we can look for clues and compare. 

thanks

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

So I tried all suggestions and was able to 5 frames or so back. The weird thing is I set my graphics on high usually, like stated above, I switched them to medium and only got about an additional 8 frame bump from High to Medium. Something weird is going on. 

The biggest help was deleting the fxo and metshaders2 folders. I now am running at 50 frames. Still not near what i was running. 

Again my setup is as follows: I run a rtx 2070, intel i7 8th gen, 32 gb ram, SSD

here are my settings: 

20201201153336_1.jpg

have to add to this, I usually get a solid 45-60FPS in VR, Now single digits in the lowest settings. I've done a repair, clean install, and wiped metacache with no improvements, even at the main menu I'm only at 31fps. Oddly in the past the GPU(5700XTAE) was only @%65 utilization, now its peaked at %99. Did something change? Too bad Just got a new hotas! 

Seems weird - at 1080p you should be getting more with those settings.

What changed recently?

DCS update?

New module?

New drivers?

New software or Windows update?

Messed with BIOS lately?

Make sure you reset NVCP and then reboot immediately. Check to be certain vsync is off in NVCP.

Windows game mode, HAG, etc...

Check your proc list line by line to make sure nothing is running that you didn't expect.

Experiment with turning down trees visibilty. Did you increase that lately?

Edited by reece146

I appreciate all the feedback and I have tried all suggested solutions to no avail. I haven’t changed anything or updated anything. In fact, I updated everything after the problem started to see if something not being updated would help but it hasn’t. It was literally fine one day and then crap the next. 

Last week I noticed alittle fps weidness myself. I did a router gigablast test and the numbers was not what I'm use of seeing. I rebooted my Router, did another speed test and was getting way better numbers. It wouldn't hurt to try this. It fixed my fps issues. I was getting 347.0 Mbps download and like 60-70 Mbps upload. After Router reboot 885 dload and 30ish upload. 

Not quit sure if this has anything to do what your problem but I hope it gets better you. 

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

On 12/2/2020 at 6:59 PM, GR00VYJERRY said:

I appreciate all the feedback and I have tried all suggested solutions to no avail. I haven’t changed anything or updated anything. In fact, I updated everything after the problem started to see if something not being updated would help but it hasn’t. It was literally fine one day and then crap the next. 

I have no idea if what I did is correct or not for my issue, but I posted mine problem in Game Performance and never received any replies.  Like you, I lost a lot of VR FPS performance here recently and made no changes to my PC, DCS settings, drivers...nothing.  Great one day, bad the next...

My specs are: 9600k @ 5.1 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 2080 Ti, Rift S.  My performance has always been super smooth on high settings (shadows low).  I could always fly, record and play music and have a great VR experience, but then I started getting horrible stutters out of nowhere.  I stopped recording, stopped the music; tried changing/reducing DCS settings, deleting the shaders/files mentioned above, went thru the Optimization Guides (again), Windows settings, everything I could think of, but nothing worked at all.  

One day I started reading thru my log file, which makes 99% zero sense to me because I'm not smart with that stuff, ha, but I noticed lines saying something like "(example) the 28 FPS would have been 45 FPS if TacView was not recording."  Something like that.  I started searching old TacView threads and found one that said there was a bug with the export a while back, so I figured I would try disabling TacView recording.  My performance has been super smooth again ever since.  I can play in VR, record while in VR, play music the whole time, all at my high settings and all is well again, just like before.  

Again, I don't know if it's a "thing" as no one replied, but it worked for me it seems.  Maybe give it a shot?

Edited by CL30

i5-9600k @ 5.0 GHz| Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32 GB Trident G.Skill RAM @ 3200 MHz | Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO | Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD | Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2 | SanDisk 1TB SSD | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra Gaming | EVGA G3 850W Gold PSU | Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow Edition | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFC Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift-S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/13/2020 at 3:52 PM, GR00VYJERRY said:

Holy crap. That worked. I stopped my tacview from recording the track file and my frames shot up 20-30 FPS. Thanks so much. 

You bet!  I only wish the team would've looked into my issue in the Game Performance thread.  Maybe I'll post in there again!

i5-9600k @ 5.0 GHz| Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master | 32 GB Trident G.Skill RAM @ 3200 MHz | Thermaltake Floe Riing 360 AIO | Samsung EVO 860 500 GB SSD | Crucial MX500 500 GB M.2 | SanDisk 1TB SSD | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Ultra Gaming | EVGA G3 850W Gold PSU | Thermaltake View 71 TG Snow Edition | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFC Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift-S

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am sorry you are experiencing such frame rate loss while Tacview recorder is active.

The problem comes from the Lua API provided by DCS World which is used by Tacview to know where each object is. This API is slow proportionally to the number of objects on the battlefield.

While this is not a problem while playing campaigns and on one screen, with bigger online missions (thousands active objects) and VR, this problem can have significative impact on the frame rate and easily make you drop under the “magic” 45 fps for example.

I am going to see with ED if this could be improved.

If you still want to record, with Tacview 1.8.5, you could from the options->special menu, select to record only your aircraft during online flights, so you can still check performances data without hurting the frame rate. Also, you can still record the whole mission data after the flight, by playing back in the track player of DCS world.

Meanwhile could you reproduce the problem, and share your dcs.log file? This will help me to convince ED that something should be done on that matter.

tacview-signature-512x128x24.png

• 2 weeks later...

2 questions please

1. When I choose to disable recording in DCS options  I still have the recording in my Tacview designated folder. Why does it still record ?

2. is this an update for Tacview Standard users like me? 1.8.5 ? 

I love the product but I have experienced some shuddering issues sometimes and would like to not run in the background at certain times

Thx !

ALIENWARE R11 - I9 10900KF @ 5.1 GHz - M.2 NVMe 2TB - RTX3090  - XFURY 64GB -3400 MHz RAM

Monitor AW3420DW @ 120Hz - Virpil CM3 Throttle - TM TPR Rudder pedals - Virpil CM2 w/TM Hornet Stick Center - Monstertech Deck Mounts 

RealSimulator FSSB-R3 Lightning Base w/ F16SRGRH SideStick - VR user / Varjo Aero - Big Thx to mbucchia

Start Date April 2020 

• 2 weeks later...

Alright some of geniuses out there. Please help. I've only been on dcs for about 2 weeks. I'm currently running an ASUS ROG GL12cx with an 17 9700 stock clock 3.6, 16g stock ram and an RTX 2080, with an HTC vive pro vr. I have read tons of threads, watched countless videos and I cannot seem to get the game to run smooth AT all. At altitude I can get 90 fps no problem, on the ground 40 to 45 consistent but inbetween in bounces around like crazy and I get terrible stutters. I've even installed the shader pack suggested (hopefully right as that was super confusing). What settings should I try? I can take the 45 or 60 fps if thats the best I can get but I still get massive stutter and it Max's out my VRAM. Please give me your suggested setting from in game visuals, to vr visuals in game, to steam settings, to nvidia settings. I'm losing my mind. We have an awesome station set up for flight simming and I just can't get it right. Thanks so much in advance guys. I really appreciate it

On 12/27/2020 at 10:08 PM, Burt said:

2 questions please

1. When I choose to disable recording in DCS options  I still have the recording in my Tacview designated folder. Why does it still record ?

2. is this an update for Tacview Standard users like me? 1.8.5 ? 

I love the product but I have experienced some shuddering issues sometimes and would like to not run in the background at certain times

Thx !

Hi,

If you have disabled recording you should not be getting any recording in your designated folder. Can you update to Tacview 1.8.5 and see if you are still having the same issue? If so please share your log. 

Yes I will do that as soon as I am able.

Thank you for your reply. 

Start Date April 2020 

On 1/5/2021 at 3:11 PM, BuzyBee said:

Hi,

If you have disabled recording you should not be getting any recording in your designated folder. Can you update to Tacview 1.8.5 and see if you are still having the same issue? If so please share your log. 

Hi Buzybee,  

I update Tacview to 1.8.5 and everything went well. It does not recorded when I disable it DCS options and I have no issue when the program is recording.  

Thank you !

Start Date April 2020